News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Gracely

Re:You've just won the Lottery
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2004, 11:33:39 AM »
I've been thinking about this alot lately because I'm sick of owners raising dues, paying for mediocre clubhouse dining room service, unnatural course changes, etc..

Here's my plan (which I actually think could be done for $5M...$10M less the taxes..which most of you forgot about):

100-125 acres on the northern most piece of sandy land I can find between Raleigh and Pinehurst.  There is tons of land that isn't being used for anything right now.  This makes it reachable within an hour for local Raleigh buddies, and close enough for anyone flying into RDU.

The course will be designed in the same model as The Dunes Club up in MI....9 holes that can play multiple ways from multiple tees (maybe 3300yds).  This cuts down on some of the overall maintenance costs, and limits the focus of the architect to really get those holes right....getting 9 right instead of 18 is better odds (in my simple head).  Playing cross-country, one-club, stymies or 24-some hickory matches will be highly encouraged!

For the architect, I'd bring in a complete newbie (maybe one of the turf mgm't kids/grads from MSU that frequent the board) and give them a few simple goals:

1) No rush, spend as much time on site as you feel like you need.  And plan on coming back frequently to make tweaks as appropriate.  Crump, Ross, Fownes, MacDonald and a few other guys got this luxury, why shouldn't it apply here?

2) No need to worry about magazine ratings, members complaining about quirk, signature holes or his reputation if it doesn't turn out as well as planned.  If it becomes great, he gets the credit.  If it's mediocre, I'll take the blame and his name won't be dragged through the mud on this site or other publications.  It takes time to learn a craft and mistakes happen.  And mistakes can be fixed.  In fact, anyone identifying themselves as a rater will not be allowed.  If you really want to play the course, just ask, we'll play it together.  We're not looking for any publicity, so don't generate any.

3) Focus on making a course that's fun to play, because I'm expecting this place to be used from the time I'm 33 to 83.  

4) Make the greens interesting.  Imagine a Ross, McKenzie, Doak, C&C collaboration.  Because I want to not only play the course/hole as planned (tee to green), but I also want to be able to just walk out to a greensite and spend a few hours doing short-game stuff with friends.

5) Get the drainage right and do whatever possible to allow it to play firm and fast.

We won't bother having a practice putting green.  Since we won't be holding USGA events here, you can just go practice putt on one of the greens on the course.  Maybe we'll just make an extended green for #9 like at Oakmont.

We'll have a small area to hit warm-up shots..similar to the little area that CPC has.  You'll pick up your own balls.  

There will be no clubhouse.  We're not going to become financially strapped by a kitchen.  But we will have a few things:

1) A small building, about the size of the CPC ProShop/LockerRoom, where balls will be sold, some benches will be available to sit while you change your shoes (or do it in the parking lot if you want) and a place for the "Pro" to stay in the shade.  We're not going to sell clubs, clothing or other merchandise.  If you don't already have that stuff, go to a store that sells that stuff.  If you really want a logo'd <insert_name_here>, let me know and I'll call a place to have it ordered.  

2) The "Pro" will be an older gentleman from the Pinehurst area, most likely one of the older Pinehurst caddies that deserves to be able to play the course whenever he wants and not have to carry somebody else's bag.  His job is to (when he's not out playing the course with members) remind people to keep the pace of play moving, keep some balls stocked, have the newspaper available in case anyone just wants to read between rounds, and generally be in a good mood and always telling stories or dirty jokes.  

3) Food & beverage will be available.  You can bring your own if you want.  Otherwise, we'll have a small patio where you can help yourself to drinks from the cooler. (I liked Michael Moore's comments about the original patio at Friar's Head).  Honor system...write down what you drink.  If it gets abused, all members will cover the costs and eventually that problem will stop as it'll get self-regulated.  Want a burger or hot-dog, the "Pro" will ensure that there is charcoal in the BBQ, and maybe someone will occasionally be there cooking stuff up.  Otherwise, make it yourself....it's usually best that way anyways.  

We'll also have 2-3 smaller holes where your kids can come and play.  No water, no sand traps, basic greens and nothing too long.  Let them learn the rules, ettiquete, shots on their scale.  Once they can break 20 for 3 holes, they can play the big course.  

Dues will be fairly inexpensive, hopefully below $200/month, as we don't offer much more than an adult version of golf as it was when you were a kid.  

I seriously hope I can do this without having to win the lottery, but I might need to find about 100 founding members to fund the cash for land.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 12:02:50 PM by Brian_Gracely »

Sam Sikes

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2004, 01:06:39 PM »
I would call it Morningwood Golf Club.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2004, 01:15:27 PM »

John Cullum-

I am willing to host any perfect stranger with the "good credentials".  Will you please give me a clue what "good credentials" are?

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2004, 01:17:53 PM »

John Cullum-

I am willing to host any perfect stranger with the "good credentials".  Will you please give me a clue what "good credentials" are?

If you have to ask, then you probably wouldn't know them even if somebody told them to you....sort of like the old saying about asking what something costs.

John_Cullum

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2004, 01:18:23 PM »
Hammer

Most anything will do. A letter from a PGA member saying you respect the game is always adequate. If you cant come up with that, a referral from some respectable person will suffice.
Raynor was a hack

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2004, 01:22:33 PM »

Brian-

I may have a different idea than many as to what "good credentials" are.  Who is the arbitor of credentials?

I love the PGA  pro idea.  Can you imagine a club pro only writing "respect the game" letters for only 20% of the membership?  

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2004, 01:25:57 PM »

Brian-

I may have a different idea than many as to what "good credentials" are.  Who is the arbitor of credentials?

I love the PGA  pro idea.  Can you imagine a club pro only writing "respect the game" letters for only 20% of the membership?  

Hamilton,

Your course, your invitation, your credentials.  

John_Cullum

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2004, 01:37:58 PM »
At my club, we may even consider a written referral from Pat Mucci, but it would have to be witnessed by Tom Paul.
Raynor was a hack

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2004, 01:59:42 PM »
Hamilton,

I'd allow your "good credentials" at my club, as long as you ask Pat Mucci if it's ok first, and I don't have to hear about them once you arrive.  And I wouldn't expect any reciprical invites.

tlavin

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2004, 05:56:40 PM »
Ten Million Net would certainly allow you to get started and, given the wacky economies involved in modern golf, you would probably get to enjoy the course for a few years before you went belly up.  I would find an industrial site in the Midwest and convert it to a golf course.  We had a creditable attempt here in Chicago, Harborside, a few years back, but the holes are a bit repetitive.  The setting, however, is inspired.  It is surrounded by a power plant, a paint factory, superelevated highway ramps and long-forgotten wetlands.  This is my dream site, because you would never forget where you were (by looking at the horizon), but you could forge a refuge for those consigned to living in the Rust Belt.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 11:06:39 PM »
Curious as to what kind of clubhouse you would build for your $10+million golf course? Some of you have already provided your thoughts...any others?
What amenities would you provide?
Would it be 50,000 square feet of opulence, or a 2,000 square foot pub with a window for the starter?
Would there be a bag-drop area with attendants communicating via headsets, or a gravel parking lot where you can lace up the shoes on your car's back bumper?
Hooter's babes giving back rubs, or a plastic backscratcher hanging from beside the rusted out sink in the men's john?
JJ

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 08:56:31 AM »
JJ,

The clubhouse would be very modest, but there would be no need for a starter.

Part of my money would be set aside to join Cuscowilla and Harmony, along with a home in that area, and then to also join Ballyneal and Prairie Club.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 08:59:38 AM by Scott_Burroughs »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back