News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re: Private clubs - US vs ROW
« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2003, 02:02:01 PM »
David;

I was out there in 1970 and the Presidio course was run by the military, or else I thought it was. Probably the reason I never considered going over there was I'd just gotten out of the Marine Corps and I felt like if I never talked to a military uniform again it woulda been too soon for me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

David_Tepper

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2003, 02:03:35 PM »
Tom Huckaby-
As far as I know, the PGC receives no benefits regarding golf course access or favored teetimes from the Presidio Trust/Palmer Group. The PGC staff books teetimes for the PGC members thru the same channels as any public player might.
When I was still a member, getting a decent teetime was not too much of a problem. However, going out on a weeknite for a casual 9-holes after work was a real pain that sometimes lasted for 2 1/2 or 3 hours.
DT  

THuckaby2

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2003, 02:07:50 PM »
David - thanks.  I was just cringing imagining how it must have been for the PGC members when the military left...

Side note:  I am part of the hordes, or at least I used to be.  I secured the first tee time on the first day the course opened to the public officially, and during that year anyway played the course a lot... Haven't been there in awhile - too crowded, too expensive!  I do love the course though, always have.

TH

David_Tepper

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2003, 02:16:06 PM »
Did you guys know that the 1956 Western Open was played at the Presidio in 1956? Mike Fetchik beat Doug Ford, Jay Hebert and Don January in a playoff. The winning score was 284, which is a pretty high score considering the Presidio is no more than 6,400yds. from the tips. In fact, 284 was a much higher score than the winner shot when the Western Open  was at Butler National (supposedly a much, much tougher course) in many years.
DT

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2003, 02:26:08 PM »
Shivas:

To me "real estate tax planning" is the local and state real estate tax stuff--things like Act 319 and "clean and green" in my state as opposed to "estate tax planning" which in a land context can be a whole lot more significant as we're talking Federal and the IRS. In the latter would be things like "federal land conservation easments" which although possibly extremely rare in golf courses at this point can actually be used. The only one I've heard of, however, is Hanse's Applebrook--a course about two years old.

THuckaby2

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2003, 02:32:48 PM »
Very interesting, David - I didn't know that!

I can imagine the pros having difficulty there though most definitely.  Assuming the trees were big in 1956 (fair assumption, they all look ancient), add overgrowth there, high rough, shaved greens... well, infinite putting wasn't invented at Pasatiempo - Presidio sure can have that given some of the severe slopes... 284 seems believeable for sure.

TH

Dan King

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2003, 07:47:41 PM »
I have plenty of fine memories of the Presidio. Back when I worked for NASA, as fellow DODers, we could play the course for $12. We'd have the course practically to ourselves all for a little more than a sawbuck. The only drawback was that they had no facilities for us. Pay cash-only at a little starter shed and at the turn you could to the Quonset hut (Nissen hut to you Brits) and get coffee out of a machine (terrible, terrible stuff.)

Kind of similar to St. Andrews before the Visitor's Clubhouse.

I just can't go back there and pay the hundred or so bucks it now costs.

TEPaul writes:
I guess what my only problem is sometime on this website I see so many people complaining about so many things about this country--the culture, the way of golf, the USGA, the handicap system, the touring pros, even sometimes the way our own Constitution has evolved with our society. There's nothing wrong with that, I suppose, but if any of them have a better solution, then offer it--something that one doesn't see much of these day--only complaints!

While I was reading this graph, I started thinking you were referring to me. But then I got to the end, and realized you must mean someone else, cause I always come up with a better solution.

That's interesting. Over 30 years ago I had an apartment for a short time that looked right out over the Presidio G.C. but I never did set foot on the place.

How the heck did that we ever allow that? We leave our borders open and see what happens. Tom Paul managed to sneak his way in. Maybe Michael Savage is right.

Over 30 years, that's getting you close to the Summer of Love. Tom, could you be a closet Dead Head?

Dan King
"You've heard of Arnie's Army. Well, those are Dean's Drunks."
 --Dean Martin (on his followers on the golf course)

Jeff Goldman

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2003, 09:21:18 AM »
Shivas,

The farthest a tax lawyer will go is to call something a "tax-advantaged" transaction.

Jeff Goldman
That was one hellacious beaver.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back