News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Finegan's Pine Valley History
« on: January 29, 2003, 02:32:59 PM »
I noticed James Finegan's "Pine Valley: A Unique Haven of the Game" for sale on E-bay. I actually gave strong consideration to going after it, but bailed out when the bidding went above  
$200. (A PV shirt was also included) I have never encountered the book elsewhere, so I'm guessing it has a very limited number of copies, and also is perhaps
normally unavailable to the public. Can anyone comment on the book?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:01 PM by -1 »

Jimmy Muratt

Re: Finegan's Pine Valley History
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2003, 02:50:19 PM »
Craig,

It is a very good book that details the club history and has a year by year account of the happenings at the club.  It also has a hole by hole analysis with pictures from several angles of each hole.  It is the size of a yearbook and comes in a nice slide in case to protect it.   It is quite comprehensive and one of the better club histories I've seen.  It includes many black and white pictures as well so you can see the vast changes in the course today.  The coures looks much less open due to the immense tree growth.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tim Weiman

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2003, 02:58:36 PM »
Craig:

I am very happy to own a copy of this book. But, if you are looking for something about golf architecture, it is not for you. The book does not focus on the golf course.

Buy it if you have an interest in the development of a great golf club. That is why I enjoy it.

By comparison, I would not recommend something like the history of Royal Melbourne. You won't find much about the golf course either and the club history part is, quite frankly, presented in a manner less appealing than what Jim Finegan has done with Pine Valley.

Amidst the renaissance in books about golf architecture I am hoping clubs like Pine Valley and Royal Melbourne will take note of Geoff Shackelford's Cypress Point book and sponsor a similiar effort. Us golf architecture junkies would really appreciate it.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2003, 02:59:28 PM »
The book has never been available to the public--but I hate to see any book go above $200, that's for sure. However, if any of you guys want the book I'll get you all a copy for the bargain basement price of $199 and I'll even throw in one of my very own t-shirts.

If anybody wants one just start a thread on here for me. I generally pop in and out of this website about once every month or so.

ian

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2003, 03:05:14 PM »
Tim made a good point about Royal Melbourne and if Pine Valley's is the same its not an architecture book.

If anyone is interested I have Royal Melbourne's centenial history and am willing to part with it. Send me an e-mail and I will respond when I get back in mid-Febuary.

Ian

Greg Hohman

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 07:49:05 AM »
I wasn’t sure where to place this PV item, which might merit a new thread once someone has read the newly translated “Bold Ventures: Thirteen Tales of Architectural Tragedy.” PV is Tale XI, pp 207-234.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 07:54:35 AM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »
   Tom Paul?!  Good to see your voice.

Greg Hohman

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2022, 08:27:23 AM »
I bought "Bold Ventures" and went straight to the chapter about PV and Crump. I can't recommend it to the DG. It does not, I would wager, break new ground. If I change my mind after reading the entire book, I will report back here or start a separate thread.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2022, 09:16:53 AM by Greg Hohman »
newmonumentsgc.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2022, 01:37:04 PM »
During my first time at PV I purchased two books: The Walker Cup and Pine Valley Golf Club: a Chronicle. Both have a history of the club and a description of every hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Pine-Valley-Golf-Club-Chronicle/dp/B00072VWZI/ref=sr_1_4?crid=27E36TLRL0BMD&keywords=pine+valley+golf+club+book&qid=1665596144&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjA3IiwicXNhIjoiMS44NSIsInFzcCI6IjEuNTAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=Pine+Valley+%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-4
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back