News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

Re:Would Pine Valley still be #1 if ....
« Reply #75 on: November 27, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »
At the expense of being accused of braging..I have had the pleasure of competing at the Crump..and the only reason I mention this, is this thread appears to headed into battle and I wanted to add another ten pence worth prior to its demise.
I have gathered that no opinoins are valid on this thread unless you have experience at the venue,hence my reason for mentioning my playing at PV.

I do not really understand this obsession with tree removal, in the so called name of restoration.
That is only relevant when the course would benefit, or when the trees become an inherent problem.....I just do not see that as much of a problem at PV.

One of the things that makes PV what it is, is the isolation that one feels on the course...the routing is done in such a way that this was Crumps intent, and now that his vision has come more to forefront then ever, there appears to be this obsession to 'restore' the course...leave it alone..not just because it is number 1..but because it is an integral part of what makes the course great.

I am not saying some minor trimming is not a good idea, but trimming being the operative word.

I love Pine Valley the way it is, the trees take nothing away from the course, and as TE has repeatedly stated on this thread. it appears to be what the man wanted.

I feel as though the true experts of PV..MR Brewer and the members know what is best for PV..I feel leaving the decisions to them is a good idea...and it appears that they like the current set up.

Whenever I play that course it is a thrill and joy, but I know that I am only seeing what I see because there are a group of people who care for its beauty on a day to day basis..I trust their judgement and above all their knowledge that they understand what PIne Valley needs or does not need.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #76 on: November 27, 2004, 10:41:20 PM »
Could somebody please tell where the uncontroled encroachment of the trees at PV actually is...I have racked my brain and just cannot figure out where on the course this seems to be the case.

This is not a critisism of anybody's contribution on this thread, just a question to perhaps make me aware of something I have not seen.....I am the first to admit that when you like something as much as I do with PV, you can sometimes be blind to faults...but I repeat I just done see it

TEPaul

« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2004, 10:54:01 PM »
Michael Wharton-Palmer:

Thank you for the thoughtful and obviously informed post. Some of these fellows on here are now questioning why PVGC back during it's creation would bother to take the word of some friend of Crump's about what he wanted the course to be and what he intended to do had he lived. Anyone who understands the history of that early time from 1912 to 1918 when Crump was working on the golf course understands that Father Simon Carr was Crump's best friend, was on the Board of Directors and was one of two men who those who founded the club depended on to supply written "remembrances" to assist and guide the 1921 Advisory Committee to finish off the course after it had basically been in about a three year hiatus after Crump's guiding hand and his wallet were gone.

You may not see much tree encroachment there because as I keep mentioning the club has been removing trees in the last few years. But even before that the golf course and its fairways have always been very wide. I think PVGC could be unique as in all these decades its fairways have never been narrowed at all as far as I can tell (except a bit this year with bunkering on #9 and #18). That may be because basically the course has always had a remarkably small amount of rough. And as you know if one is on a fairway there really aren't more than 2-3 holes (#1, #11, #13) where you don't have a clear shot at the green, and #13 was always intended to be that way---it was so the driver would pay some price for not trying to drive the ball over Hollman's Hollow.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:10:36 PM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #78 on: November 27, 2004, 11:10:05 PM »
TE/Michael
What exactly did Crump (or Father Carr) say about the need to isolate every golf hole?

I don't think Crump would approve of his hazards being overgrown by trees.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2004, 11:14:42 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but numerous golf course become enhanced by trees with age..so who is to say some 50,60,70,80,90 years later that is not what the architect intended?

I think about some British courses like Wentworth that are clearly better courses now that they were 40 years ago, because of the proliferation of tree size and number.
Sunningdale is another one that has benefited from some tree growth.

A sparse terrain may have existed when a course was opened, but does that mean we always have to restore to that...obviously not.

I am interested to know how many people on this site have played Merion in the past 15 months and like it more now than prior to the extensive tree removal on holes 16 and 17.

Does the quarry hole or the awesomely difficult 17th benefit from being 'restored'?

Again this is a question not a critisism of what has been done by the owers of Merion....another course I absolutely love.

SPDB

« Reply #80 on: November 27, 2004, 11:26:37 PM »
Michael W-P:

IMO, Merion has been vastly improved by tree clearing, and 16 is a prime example. The trees to the right of 16 blocked off what was in a more primitive era an alternate route to the hole. Certainly there would have been no reason to wrap the fairway around the quarry if Wilson intended balls hit there to be blocked out by trees.

As for 17, with the new back tees, the trees closing in the entrance to the quarry are simply too narrow. I'm not sure they added anything to its mystique either.

As for PV, the best example of excessive tree growth that I observed was the area around 14 green. If you happened to go over the green into the bunker 9 times out of 10 you'd have a tree impeding your backswing. Perhaps this was part of Crump's grand plan, but I'm inclined to think it wasn't.  

T_MacWood

« Reply #81 on: November 27, 2004, 11:26:49 PM »
Micheal
Why would you want to cover interesting natural features and rugged ground with trees....especially exposed sandy terrain like you find at PV and why would you want cut off panaramic views over the same rugged terrain. I find it difficult to comprehend how an architect would want his strategic hazards and options eliminated by uncontrolled tree growth. Do you think Sunnigdale, Walton Heath and Wentworth are better without their former openess, panaramas and heather?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #82 on: November 27, 2004, 11:49:49 PM »
SP,
I agree with you on Merion, especially with regards to number 16.
I did like the 'shoot' on number 17, but I agree it was on the verge of unfair prior to the cull of trees.
Somehow, the removal of the trees makes that green look even smaller from 235..if that was possible

Tom and SP,
number 14 long is indeed one of those areas where the hazards have become encroached by trees,and no I do not think that Mr Crump intended his hazards to be amongst the trees.
Hole number 2 on the left off the tee also has this dilemma, but beyond those two examples...sorry to the left of number 5 also.....I do not see the trees as being a distraction from thr course alyout and/or beauty.

As I said, I like the islolation, and, the vistas of each individual hole is suffice for me.

When I am standing in the fairway on number 4 for instance, it does not bother me that I cannot see number 2 on my left of number 5 on my right.
I think that closed in feeling is what makes all the tee shots appear so much harder than perhaps they really are...the fairways have plenty of width, but one of PV's tricks is to make you think they are not..and I believe he trees enhance that feeling of intimidation.

When I returned from my first visit, my primary comment to those who cared to ask, was that I was supremely impressed by how the hole got harder as you approached the green.
Every hole feels as though, once the tee shot is over the holes truly begins, as such I think Crump intended the isolation factor to make you at least have to work off the tee.
My first round at PV was in the company of the greenkeeper, who expressed this idea as we played around.

I perhaps would like to see a little more rugged sandy terrain, on holes 9,11,12,15, but most of this could be in front of the tee, as exists on number 3,4,and 6.

SPDB

« Reply #83 on: November 27, 2004, 11:55:17 PM »
MWP - Regarding your comments about PVGC #2 overcrowding on the left of the tee. Perhaps Carr (seen here teeing off on #2, with Crump to his left) didn't recognize them, odd since it looks like he's playing a fade starting the ball left.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 11:55:43 PM by SPDB »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #84 on: November 27, 2004, 11:56:20 PM »
Sorry TE I did not read your comments before I placed mine, but at least we agree on which holes we would like to see some more terrain than trees.
The info on number 13 is mindboggling, but could be exciting, especislly with the new tee on that hole!!!

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #85 on: November 28, 2004, 12:00:30 AM »
SP,
Even with the excess of trees down that left side, the shot off the tee is still the same fade demostrated with such grace by Carr!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #86 on: November 28, 2004, 12:34:03 AM »
I think it was three years ago in the spring I walked off #1 green down to #2 tee and turned and looked down the hole. I can't tell you what a surprise it was. Before that you really couldn't see any of the bunkers on the left side of the fairway and now the bunkering all along both sides hits you like a ton of bricks compared to what it used to look like. Personally I wish they'd carried that tree clearing they did so much of along the left side in the tee shot area all the way up to the green on the left.

I should also say that tree clearing that would absolutely blow everyone away would be if they'd take out about 10-15 yards deep of trees directly behind #2 green. If they did that #2 green would be one of the world's truly stunning "SKYLINE GREENS"----the way it was in the old days.

T_MacWood

« Reply #87 on: November 28, 2004, 12:35:05 AM »
TE/Michael
What exactly did Crump (or Father Carr) say about the need for isolatation on every golf hole?

TEPaul

« Reply #88 on: November 28, 2004, 11:11:14 AM »
"TE/Michael
What exactly did Crump (or Father Carr) say about the need for isolatation on every golf hole?"

Tom MacW:

I don't know EXACTLY what Crump or Carr said about the need for isolation on every hole. Crump, unfortunately, didn't keep a diary during the creation of the course (although apparently there may be some letters by him to various people during the construction of the course that may shed light on what he EXACTLY said about holes 'being out of sight of one another' at PVGC.

What Crump certainly did do during the construction of the course is speak with a very large number of people, but I certainly didn't hear any of that as Crump died in 1918. It seems to me practically every one of them mentions this in one way or another, at one time or another. The idea was obviously spawned from his ideas on what a great course should be in his mind, at least where he chose to build one---eg no more than two successive holes going in the same direction, a real minimum of "parallelism". Jim Finegan states in the latest PVGC history, "He thought each hole should be out of sight from every other hole".

It seems to me you don't put much truth in some of what Finegan says in the latest PVGC history. I'm not sure why that is. I've known Jim Finegan for years as have many around here and we feel he's one of the best researchers and certainly one of the best golf and architecture chroniclers there is. Certainly, it’s true he did make a mistake or two in that latest history but I’m sure that’s to be expected in any history book.

Perhaps, you feel you're able to decipher what went on at PVGC and what the intentions for the course were better than he can. And this despite the fact that Finegan has belonged there for probably forty years and took home the entire PVGC archives for about four years and obviously researched numerous newspaper and magazine accounts (something you seem to truly enjoy) as well as the accounts left from those there at that time of Crump's life and afterwards.

Perhaps you feel Finegan is not very truthful or accurate because of some of what he said about Harry Colt's contributions to PVGC. If you read his history carefully you’ll also notice he was very praising of Colt call him perhaps the best in the world at that time! Finegan depended on what he reported in that vein from what's available in the archives as well as a number of contemporaneous newspaper reports during the creation of PVGC, and from others and their articles such as Tillinghast, Grantland Rice (apparently wrote in "The American Golfer" one of five reasons for the course's greatness being the separation of each hole), and a number of well known golfers of that time.

I depend for the accuracy of the "separation" or "isolation" feature of PVGC on what Carr said about the planting of hundreds of trees in an article in the early years—1914---would it not be logical to assume that tree planting continued in Crump’s lifetime following 1914? But mostly I depend on what I know of the course and what I can clearly see on the old aerials. The fact is that the golf course is routed remarkably wide---basically using the architectural principle of "triangulation' to create this separation and isolation (an entirely different routing arrangement from the more common style of parrellelism used in that day.

My point is that it's just completely obvious to see what he was attempting to do by looking at those old aerials. Some of the areas between holes may've looked a lot sparser obviously because Crump had done a ton of clearing to both initially analyze the ground and for prospective holes and hole corridors that were never used. Many people, and many on here who see some of those old clearing lines on aerials and on on-ground photos seem to assume they were intended to remain that way but in my opinion, clearly they were not.

But even from the earliest aerials and after the planting of hundreds, perhaps thousands of saplings had a chance to grow one can clearly see the use of trees separating the holes. And we all know when trees have a few decades to grow in they do create what we call visual isolation---particularly pine trees that are not deciduous. I think it's probably save to say that Crump understood what trees look like when they grow to full maturity.

But if you feel content to think that the holes of PVGC were intended to be mostly in clear view of one another, then be my guest. I don't believe that was the intention at all. And, if I happen to find something in the archives or anywhere else written by Crump or Carr I'll be the first to let you know EXACTLY what they said.

This entire subject of trees and PVGC, I think, has gotten sort of out of hand, particularly on here. There's no question there're a number of otherwise good architecture analysts on this site who feel very few or even no trees belong on any golf course. This, to me, is as shortsighted as someone who feels all golf courses should be completely planted in trees, isolating every hole from another.

The fact is, if we look at this subject of trees, and other subjects, intelligently and accurately in an historic context we will see that there was a good deal of difference and many interesting distinctions in what some of the very best golf architects wanted for their particular courses. Some may not have wanted any trees, such as Fownes at Oakmont or Macdonald at NGLA, but others, in certain areas, particularly those that were naturally treed did want trees. This might include Ross at Pinehurst and surely includes Crump at PVGC, in my opinion.

But lest you think I'm saying that PVGC did not become too encroached upon by trees over the decades I'm not saying that at all. I think, personally, as I’ve said many time on here the best tree management for the course in the future would be simply to remove those trees that are now within or overhanging Crump's constructed bunkering and sand waste areas that were intended to be in play. If they did that I think the course would play exactly as it was intended to play by him but that the holes would still be separated from one another visually.

Does this tree separation idea create some negative influence on others to over-plant courses that may not have been designed with trees in mind? Certainly it does. But that's for those who administer those other courses to understand. Neither George Crump, nor  me, is suggesting that because he intended to have tree separation between his hole at PVGC that every other course should too.

One should always understand, in my opinion, that the styles and types of golf courses and their architecture should be different. That to me is a good deal of the interest and allure of the entire art of golf course architecture.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #89 on: November 28, 2004, 11:21:32 AM »
I have been away for a while, but I did want to answer the original question:

I don't think ANY new course [even one as good as Pine Valley] would achieve the #1 ranking until many years after it opened.  For that matter, I highly doubt that any new course will surpass Sand Hills now that it is universally accepted as the #1 Modern course.

This is not to say that I think the two current champs are undeserving ... not at all.  But the way the ratings work, I feel there is an unwritten rule that you can only "win the title" by knockout; and I don't believe it's possible to "knock out" Pine Valley or Sand Hills.  [On the other hand, if St. Andrews or Royal Dornoch were the consensus #1, I don't think you could really knock them out, either.]

For the record, back when I was adding up the GOLF Magazine results I did sort the list a couple of times by just the votes of the non-Americans on the panel.  [I think they even published that result one year.]  The foreign panelists did not think too much differently than the Americans; in fact, they seemed to be MORE impressed and more affected by the standard of conditioning of American courses than the American panelists were.

ian

« Reply #90 on: November 28, 2004, 12:04:09 PM »
I have said this before on the site, I was good friends with one of the assistants who just left. He told me the superintendent waits for frosty days to go and continue thinning of the trees. They have a plan to thin out a lot of areas, but it is limited by weather and by play. They choose frosty days to limit damage, and it gives him the full crew to work with. This had been going on the full time he was there and continues today. I saw the 9th hole before and after. Frankly most of it is so subtle to the overall feel that you could likely miss what they have done, and yet there was a full bunker completely returned on the right.

The place overwhelms your senses while you are there which makes it impossible to catch everything that has changed. Only someone who plays there regularly would be familiar enough with the place to really know the changes.

Of Note: I have never felt the course was overcrowded and I'm a fanatic for views. I like the seperation and framing of the trees, the place is different becuse of this too. The only place that struck me of congested was 14, but I'm sure they will get to that in time.

SPDB

« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2004, 12:27:26 PM »
Tom Paul -
This is not meant in any way as an opinion or conclusion on whether or not hole isolation was intended, but I had always thought that the massive presence of trees at PV was the work of Eb Steiniger. I remember reading somewhere that, beginning in the very early days of the course, he used to plant over a 1000 trees a year. Over the course of his tenure that's a lot of trees. Perhaps in doing so he was responding to Crump's wishes, or what he considered Crump's intentions to be, but is it possible that the hole isolation results not so much from Crump's desires as it does from Steiniger's?

Just fodder.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:28:24 PM by SPDB »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2004, 12:48:53 PM »
Michael Palmer,

Do you feel that it was Crump's intent to have a ball on the left side of the 17th fairway blocked by trees that intrude into the lines of play ?

Do you think that it was Crump's intent to have a golfer in a bunker/s have their swing impeded by intrusive tree limbs ?

Do you feel that you were capable of carefully evaluating the architecture, infinite number of lines of play, while at the same time playing golf and competing at a high level ?

Did you happen to notice the picture hanging in the big room, right next to the exit door to the parking lot ?

If so, what did you think of the golf course as presented in that aerial, and in comparison to the golf course you played ?

T_MacWood

« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2004, 12:50:32 PM »
TE
“What Crump certainly did do during the construction of the course is speak with a very large number of people, but I certainly didn't hear any of that as Crump died in 1918. It seems to me practically every one of them mentions this in one way or another, at one time or another.”

Of these people, who spoke to the subject of isolation and what exactly did they say?

“I depend for the accuracy of the "separation" or "isolation" feature of PVGC on what Carr said about the planting of hundreds of trees in an article in the early years—1914---would it not be logical to assume that tree planting continued in Crump’s lifetime following 1914?”

If it is the same article I’m thinking of, Carr said the tree planting (on the sides of tees and greens) was done for protection against the winter wind, not to create isolation.

“Many people, and many on here who see some of those old clearing lines on aerials and on on-ground photos seem to assume they were intended to remain that way but in my opinion, clearly they were not. But even from the earliest aerials and after the planting of hundreds, perhaps thousands of saplings had a chance to grow one can clearly see the use of trees separating the holes.”

When were the first aerials taken? I don’t believe the aerials were taken until the 1920’s and based upon their date I’m not sure you can conclude all the saplings were planted by or at the direction of Crump. In one of your early posts on this thread you said Crump intended to use trees in PV’s design…I’m still trying to find where Crump said this.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:51:14 PM by Tom MacWood »

Craig Sweet

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2004, 12:59:13 PM »
The original question that kicked off this thread was whether Pine Valley's ranking is based on tradition, and if the rankings were begun today instead of 50 years ago, whould it rank so high.

I guess I don't get it. Ranking to me is silly. Just plain silly.

Ranking golf courses serves to satisfy our human need to make some sort of commercial order out of things. What other purpose does it serve to say this course is better than that course, if not to attract more attention and more dollars??  

Is Pine Valley a course you would like to play? Is it a terrific place to play golf because it is ranked, or because it *just is* a terrific place to play golf?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

TEPaul

« Reply #95 on: November 28, 2004, 01:01:10 PM »
SPDB:

It's my certain sense that PVGC has always been well aware of Crump's intentions for visual hole separation (isolation). That intention is almost everywhere one looks in the history of the golf course, as far as I've ever known. It seems to have been really unique too (Crump's idea) as far as I can tell considering how early the course was built. One of the reasons may've been the raw site was chockful of trees anyway, although they were relatively small when he found the place. (Many American wooded sites like that one had undergone either massive forest fires that annihilated whole tracts of forest or else was subject to massive logging during the wooden sailing ship building and residential wooden era (such as Long Island). It looks to me as if PVGC's raw site might have undergone a massive forest fire perhaps a few decades before Crump discovered the place.

In any case, although Crump's intention was clearly hole separation by trees it might be true that Eb Steineger planted thousands more (I'm sure I could find that out). Steineger was PVGC's super for about 50 years, by the way--almost the entire tenure of the presidency of John Arthur Brown. In this region the State of Pa and perhaps NJ actually gave away millions of pine tree saplings apparently during the 1930s and very definitely in the 1950s and all one had to do was plant them--a very easy thing to do (my own course underwent that in the 1930s and 1950s). During Ernie Ransome's administration I understand a good deal more were planted because apparently Ernie was very fond of trees.

So there's no question whatsover that that course became too compacted and crowded with trees and obviously that's precisely why they're removing some and thinning the course out now.

I'm sorry that this thread which was initially about PVGC being #1 today if it opened today got diverted again into a pages long discussion of trees. That always seems to happen with PVGC threads. My only purpose is to try to explain the accuracy of what was originally intended there regarding the architectural concept of using trees on a course in a site like that as a visual block between holes. My purpose has never been to defend how compacted and overgrown it eventually became.

The point is the course has never been narrowed down in it's playing areas (fairways) by trees or anything else (rough). The playing areas (fairways) have always been as wide as Crump designed them. The only areas into which trees encroached in the last number of decades is those flanking bunkers and sand waste areas that Crump intended that were meant to flank those areas of tree separation between the holes. That's precisely why, in my opinion, the course was routed as wide as it is--eg there's room for very wide fairway area flanked by some areas of bunkering and sand waste which are flanked by areas of trees which separate the holes visually from one another.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:06:01 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #96 on: November 28, 2004, 01:23:34 PM »
"In one of your early posts on this thread you said Crump intended to use trees in PV’s design…I’m still trying to find where Crump said this."

Tom MacWood:

You very well may continue to try to find where Crump said this. I've already told you Crump did not keep a diary of any kind that anyone has ever known about. Did it ever occur to you that if that was so, then the spoken word was what was used to communicate one's intentions? Apparently that rather elementary thought never really crosses your mind. Since it appears it doesn't you seem to act as if when you can't find anything directly in writing from someone (like Crump) then the idea could not possibly have existed!

That's a pretty one dimensional and frankly myopic way to look at history Tom---and certainly for someone who seems to be as interested in it as you say you are and someone who's as good at it as you say you are.

Just read the accounts of most of those who were contemporaries of Crump's (and I've provided you with a couple of them) and somewhere in all those accounts you're bound to come across the mention of hole separation throught the use of trees. Furthermore, you can simply look at an aerial from even the early 1920s and tell what the course looked like when Crump was alive. About 5 years ago I discovered just how many aerials the Hagley Museum had of the very early years (from the early 1920s) and told John Ott about them and he went down there and bought them all. Previous to that I don't think the club really had them all, perhaps just one or two of them.

But if you wish to think otherwise, again, by my guest, it certainly matters little to me. If you choose to think Crump intended to clear-cut the place and bring every hole into view of ever other hole, and that's what they should do now, then there obviously is very little me or anyone else can say to you to make you understand that was not the way the course was intended to be.

But as I said on an earlier post, although Crump apparently never kept a written record of PVGC if I happen to come across such as a letter of his to someone (which I might do if and when I can look in the archives) where he writes exactly about his idea for trees there I promise you will be the very first to know about it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 01:31:01 PM by TEPaul »

Paul_Turner

« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2004, 01:53:33 PM »
Hole separation or lack of parallel holes was not unique or original to Crump. Several of the earliest wooded heathland courses were separated, in the main, with v.few parallel holes:  Swinley Forest, St George's Hill and Camberley Heath.  

It's likely he got the idea from Colt who had started a tree planting scheme for Sunningdale Old.   So we could blame him!  

Also of interest, the course Colt worked on immediately prior to Pine Valley, Hamilton in Canada,  is essentially a triangulation routing for most of the course, and has strong isolation.

The very wide playing areas at Pine Valley were first defined in Colt's routing plan.  Same for the par breakdown at PV, almost identical to a 1910 article, by Colt, in which he describes the hole lengths for a "Championship" course. Finally, the hole progression is also very close to his St George's Hill (1912).

Of course, for all these aspects, Crump would have been in agreement.  I just think it's important that it shouldn't all be  attributed to original thinking on Crump's part.  The "design intent" of Pine Valley encompasses many more people even if he did "edit" their input.  

The nature of the land at PV means that relatively few trees are needed for isolation, that would be the way to start, in my opinion.  But I'm still not convinced about what exactly Crump wanted in terms of isolation.  

As an aside, another aspect is the motorized raking of the bunkers at PV...a bad trend, which I think is due to the taste of the current president of Pine Valley.

PS
I strongly disagree with Michael Wharton_Palmer regarding Sunningdale and Wentworth.  Both were far more attractive with fewer trees.  The subsequent loss of heather is a shame and from Colt's writing it's clear he did not like trees as hazards. I think the cases for both courses are very similar to PVGC i.e. it's well known Colt used tree planting schemes at Sunningdale Old, but it has been taken to level there, that he would never have wanted.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 05:41:41 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

T_MacWood

« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2004, 02:34:20 PM »
TE
"Just read the accounts of most of those who were contemporaries of Crump's (and I've provided you with a couple of them) and somewhere in all those accounts you're bound to come across the mention of hole separation throught the use of trees."

We all agree there is no evidence Crump ever wrote about a desire for isolation, and as far as I can tell no one associated with PV back then wrote about a desire for isolation. Carr wrote about the idea of avoiding parallel fairways, but avoiding parallel fairways and isolation ain't the same thing...in fact Carr writes about the wonderful panaramas.

I've read numerous accounts, specifically who metioned the need for isolation? Who are the couple of contemporaries you provided...I must have missed them? I beginning to wonder if this idea of isolation is more a legend (or a modern invention) rather than a historical fact?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:36:10 PM by Tom MacWood »

Gene Greco

« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2004, 03:33:07 PM »
I'm still not quite sure what all the fuss is about regarding the trees at Pine Valley.

As one who sprays the ball quite often and very dramatically I might add, I found the golf course to be most playable and quite enjoyable during the four rounds of golf I've experienced there. It did not at all play like Winged Foot West or Oakmont did before their tree removal programs. Those courses were choking from tree branches and both are now fun to play for the mid-handicapper and still retain the architectural integrity to challenge the very best.

Pine Valley still remains one of five courses which are architecturally perfect in my eyes whether you have the open vistas or not (NGLA, Cypress, Sand Hills and The Old Course) and is among 18 to 20 courses in the world which I would not argue as being #1.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back