News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

British Courses 47
« on: November 13, 2004, 01:27:09 PM »
Burnham and Berrow

I have to say that I haven't a clue may have designed this fine links course.  The club secretary didn't know when I visited in 2000.  The club began in 1891 and one of its eraly greenkeepr/professionals was J.H. Taylor.  Alterations have been made over the years, some quite recently (to avoid parishioners attending services at the church by the 12th being bombarded by those less godly).  From the back it now measures 6759 yards and par is 71.  There is also a 9-hole course (Hawtree, I think) which measures 6120 yards par 70.

The photos are of a particular stretch in the middle of the course where a footpath crosses.  I played earlier in the day, partnered with three others whom I had not met before and they were certainly not going to wait around while I took photos.  So these were taken on a stroll after on a lovely, if hazy, summer evening.

5th, 158 yards par 3.  A very attractive short hole in some of the best dune country.

6th, 434 yards par 4.  A hole which descends to flatter ground.  There's a pond on the left but it should not be a factor.  

6th, from behind the green showing the spine of dunes which we have left for a few holes.

7th, 450 yards par 4.  The flatter holes are not really any easier and there's a small stream or ditch running the length of this and the 8th holes on the right.

12th, 401 yards par 4.  The famous hole played onto the dunes beside the church.

12th, showing just what a climb it is onto the dunes.

12th, Pisa has a rival!

13th, 530 yards par 5.  A long left-handed dog-leg climbing past a big dune on the left.

14th, 192 yards par 3.  A strong short hole, all carry, and very tough into the wind.

14th, what you find when you arrive on the green.

14th.  Nice to see a little lad having the course to himself after school.

Mark_Rowlinson

Re:British Courses 47
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »
Somebody please size these for me.  They're not good enough to be seen at any size bigger than a postage stamp.  Sorry.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back