News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Re:New Zealand
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2004, 05:37:19 PM »
Right now, if I could combine a trip with a few rounds of golf anywhere on the planet, a trip to New Zealand and a round or 2 at CK would sit atop my list by a longshot.  Hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later! ;)

Cheers,
Brad Swanson
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 07:54:01 PM by Brad Swanson »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2004, 10:44:51 PM »
One additional question -- how does the design philosophy of Pacific Dunes compare / contrast with Cape Kidnappers. Can Cape Kidnappers handle the vast number of people who might play a Pacific Dunes in a given day or is the course more geared towards a limited amount of players given all the inherent design features / dangers that are present.

Very different parcels of land.  Pac is a true tribute to the Scottish and Irish greats - a short seaside links with natural sand slough-offs, gorse, unmodified lay-of-the-land routing, and a capture of that hard-to-define quirkiness of the UK classics.  CK is meant to be beautiful and hard and is patterned after no other course in the world.

One small question -- does the wind pattern at Cape Kidnappers follow any set pattern between the two major seasons of summer and winter -- you know, the way the wind blows at Pac Dunes the summer win comes out of the north / northwest and the winter wind is generally out of the other direction?

Matt, I'm just not qualified to answer.  Check the weather websites for annual trends at Napier, NZ

I looked at the Website and they detail the final two holes to some degree. Can you provide any more details -- they seem to be quite long.

The 17th is a friggin bear!  Risk your drive up the right side for the better opening for your long uphill approach.  Bail with your drive left to the safer side and face a daunting million yard carry over everything evil the world has know (I may be getting a little carried away here  ;)) The 18th is fabulous.  A long but not impossibly long tee shot sets you up for a Disney World roller coaster approach to a deeply bowled green.  It's a riot to play as you can hit it right, left and too far and still bring it back to the cup.  A match play culminator like few others.

Final question -- is recovery part of the mix -- or is there a high percentage of "either or" type golf that one usually encounters when playing in the desert southwest of the USA?

No! Once you get to the green environs, CK is as fascinating as any course in the world - maybe the very best of the Renaissance Men's many excellent efforts.  If you miss badly though the case is closed - 30 days in the slammer.

Adios and many thanks for your always detailed replies.  

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2004, 07:39:24 PM »
Someone just called to discuss the differences between Kauri Cliffs and Cape Kidnappers.  Frankly, it seems to me that way too much emphasis is being put on the photo op value of Kauri over CK.  I agree that by no more the a neck, Kauri beats CK for the WOW factor.  But compared stategically, CK is Secretariate, to Kauri - nag of the field.

Another friend said a few days ago that I am just a Doakie.  I sure admit that I have found nothing to dislike in any of The Renaissance Men's work over the past 10 years or so.  It may amuse folks to hear that my introduction to Doak was sending him an unsolicited letter some 20 years ago saying that I thought High Point was grossly overrated.  You can imagine the letter I got in response.  And subsequent responses from Tom have only barely improved over these past 20 years or so!

JC  
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 07:40:54 PM by Jonathan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back