News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

blasbe1

Renovations at Seawane/Holes 7 -9
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:52:03 PM »
Here are some pics of the ongoing work that we're doing at Seawane, figured some here would like seeing these.  BTW, this is my first attempt at posting pics so if they actually appear below I'll be stunned, otherwise someone please IM me through the process.

View of 7th fairway from just beyond tee:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0525.jpg[\lmg]

close up of new fairway bunkering on right side of 7th fairway:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0527.jpg[\lmg]

close up of same:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0528.jpg[\lmg]

8th Hole in process, by digging out the bunkering all around the green we're creating more of a volcano hole effect:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0545.jpg[\lmg]

New cross bunkering on the short 500 yd 5 par about 260 yds off the tee:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0529.jpg[\lmg]

close up of same:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0530.jpg[\lmg]

new left greenside bunkering on 9:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0536.jpg[\lmg]

added bunkering from 80 yds up to the greenside on right side of 9, greenside bunkers now must be carried to a right pin location:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0533.jpg[\lmg]

New transition from 9th green to 10th tee:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0540.jpg[\lmg]

same view from tee to green:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0541.jpg[\lmg]

view from behind 9 green exposes the new angles of play into 9 (it used to be a runway) second shots for big hitters must now carry all the way home or be played with a bit of a cut:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com_105-0542.jpg[\lmg]

If there are no photos above I need a little help.

JKB  

blasbe1

Re:Renovations at Seawane/Holes 7 -9
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 10:53:30 PM »
BTW,

I think I followed Geoff Childs directions to the letter  ???

SPDB

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 11:06:00 PM »
Jason, the main problem is that you are probably not capturing the entire URL address of the photo pages. Right click on the photo, click "properties" and copy the Address (URL), which sometimes, in the case of longer URLs, requires pulling downward or upward on the mouse to reveal more of the URL.

blasbe1

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 11:14:09 PM »
I'll try this one:

[lmg]http://www.mysticcolorlab.com/slideshow/AlbumID=16348439/PictureID=363966581/t_=9574515[\lmg]

blasbe1

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 11:15:36 PM »
Last try:

[lmg]www.mysticcolorlab.com/slideshow/AlbumID=16348439/PictureID=363966581/t_=9574515.jpg[\lmg

blasbe1

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 11:16:27 PM »
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Technology makes my life soooooo much easier  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

wsmorrison

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 06:04:13 AM »
After you put the entire URL in after the first bracket, in the end bracket, use a forward slash / rather than the back slash \  

[img]http://Entire URL[/im]  Note:  I didn't put the final g in the last bracket so that a box with a red x wouldn't appear.  If you subsequently delete the photo from your storage area, a box with a red x will appear on GCA

Best to use preview button before the post button.  Looks like Craig tought me better than Geoff tought you  ;)   Either that or I learned my lesson better  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:08:24 AM by Wayne Morrison »

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 07:26:21 AM »
1. It is "img" not lmg

2. I am not sure you have the right address. Call me.

blasbe1

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 08:02:38 AM »
Let's try this time:

Here are some pics of the ongoing work that we're doing at Seawane, figured some here would like seeing these.  BTW, this is my first attempt at posting pics so if they actually appear below I'll be stunned, otherwise someone please IM me through the process.

close up of new fairway bunkering on right side of 7th fairway:

close up of same:

8th Hole in process, by digging out the bunkering all around the green we're creating a bit of a volcano hole effect:

New cross bunkering on the short 500 yd 5 par about 260 yds off the tee:

close up of same:

new left greenside bunkering on 9:

added bunkering from 80 yds up to the greenside on right side of 9, greenside bunkers now must be carried to a right pin location:

New transition from 9th green to 10th tee:

same view from tee to green:

view from behind 9 green exposes the new angles of play into 9 (it used to be a runway) second shots for big hitters must now carry all the way home or be played with a bit of a cut:

JKB  

GeoffreyC

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 09:25:17 AM »
Jason

Do you have any photos of any of the finished work?  I think a few would put into context some of the open vistas created by removing 6000 trees and recreating Dev Emmet's intent for a links-like course with his mounding and cross bunkering.

jeffwarne

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 10:46:27 AM »
Jason,
I can't wait to come play Seawane with you next year.I love the classic,older,quirky architecture of many of the courses down on the south shore.Some of those dunes look a bit like -I dare not say it-Good thing the previous architect's last name was Emmet-It does seem some architects are more equal than others.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Munoz

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 03:30:36 PM »
Who is the doing all of the work at Sewane?  Is it all in-house or contracted out?  I played Sewane 2 years ago.  Good layout.  Favorite hole is 18, great greenside bunker on the right-hand side, if I can remember correctly.  One course to watch out for on the south shore is The Woodmere Club.  They are doing some renovations aswell.

Chris Munoz
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

blasbe1

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 04:42:04 PM »
Geoff:

I don't have any but I'll get down there early next week and then post some.

Chris:

It's mostly done inhouse with a very talented shaper that's been contracted from the outside.  All those folks in the photos are inhouse people.  

blasbe1

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 04:50:55 PM »
think a few would put into context some of the open vistas created by removing 6000 trees and recreating Dev Emmet's intent for a links-like course with his mounding and cross bunkering.

Actually, Geoff, in the last few weeks we cleared out a bunch of brush and overgrowth from behind the 9th green and now, from parts of the 9th hole you can see straight down to the 10th green.  This is fairly well shown in the photo below with all the guys and two work carts in the leftside of the picture.  In that photo the 9th green sits right infront of the tree in the right side of the picture.  The bunkering in the distance is #10.  

I'll take different photos, however, to better capture what we've opened up.  

For those who haven't seen the course recently, keep in mind that it really doesn't come to life until June when all the fescue is up.  In addition to clearly a ton of trees we've done a ton of grass work.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2004, 06:08:50 PM »
Jason:

It was my understanding that the work at Seawane involved the services of Stephen Kay.

Is that true?

If so -- what was it that he provided -- specifically?

Many thanks ...

blasbe1

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »
Matt, I sent you an IM.

James Edwards

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2004, 08:26:00 AM »
Jason, thank you for posting.  

I apologise for my lack of knowledge here regarding this course, but could you give us some information on it for instance:  where is it? when was it built? and was the course kept in play in a reduced format during this renovation or were temporary greens used?

Cheers

James

@EDI__ADI

GeoffreyC

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2004, 09:24:28 AM »
James

Seawane is right up on the water in Hewlett Harbor on Long Island.  My guess is that it was Dev Emmet's follow up to Garden City and meant to be his Long Island Links. He did a good job as have the members who are responsible for the work to put it back in that state. But for a few areas like the tee shot on #1, they have opened up all the vistas and reinstated mounding, crossbunkers and greenside hazards that are most impressive. In addition, the greens themselves have many little (and not so little) puffs, mounds, and slopes that complicate attaining a good score.  It is a most impressive place and I hope to see it again when all the holes are finished.

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2004, 09:13:29 PM »
Jason,

Is this a restoration??????

Does the outside shaper happen to be Dave Sullivan???

James Edwards

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 04:25:45 AM »
Redanman,

Thank you for the info - are you having me on, or does it really say 5 somes not allowed?  I would check, but Ive barely got enough time to write this..

Geoffrey,

Again, thanks...  Im not familiar with Dev Emmets work im embarssed to say, and Ive only been to a few courses in NY mainly the Hamptons and Winged Foot -

Q.  Were the cross bunkers put back in the original positions?  or are they in new positons in Dev Emmets style?

....where they pushed forward to account for todays length off the tee, or were new tees placed in order to counteract this relationship?

Cheers

James
« Last Edit: November 12, 2004, 04:26:24 AM by James J.S Edwards »
@EDI__ADI

GeoffreyC

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 09:32:32 AM »
Jason will have more specific information but I believe that it is an "interpretive restortation". I don't think they had detailed photographic evidence of the mounding and ground features but they must have good aerials (Craig Disher- where are you).

I think they have added bunkers and mounding that is not original and in some cases it almost looks like Cassique on Kiawah Island.

The end result, however, is a striking golf course that perhaps is a tribute to Dev Emmet more then it is a faithful restoration.

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 09:55:29 AM »
Interpretive, tribute design work.  Wow.  I guess as long as you are one of the blessed GCA architects on this site you can do anything and call it anything and everyone else here will nod thier approval.  

Again, is the talented outside shaper Dave Sullivan?

Jason Mandel

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2004, 10:03:24 AM »
Kelly,

Jason is at Cuscowilla this weekend so I don't think he will be able to answer that until around monday.

Steven Kay I believe was the consulting architect there, would you refer to him as one of the "blessed GCA architects on this site"?  I wouldn't neccesarily say that.  Also by talking to Jason he mentioned that while Kay reccommended a lot of stuff, the members pretty much did what they wanted to do, and Kay worked with him that way.

I think what this proves is that if the course turns out to be a success its not a matter of it being a faithful restoration or not.

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Kelly Blake Moran

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2004, 10:10:20 AM »
Jason,

This site lives off the work of dead architects, and few blessed living ones, and yes I would put Steven Kay in there because Brad Klein, who is highly regarded by the faithful on this site praised Steven for the work on this course, so while I agree with your last statement to some extent, I am amazed that a Dev Emmitt course that is undergoing an interpretive, tribute renovation is being praised on this site.  I doubt seriously that many here would agree that you can do what you please at any course and as long as the course reamins viable so be it.  

But, that is not what I wanted to focus on, I want to know if the gifted shaper Jason failed to name is Dave Sullivan.

GeoffreyC

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »
Kelly

I went to Seawane without ever knowing if Brad had been there. I loved it and you can now see it in Ran's Next 50 to play list.  In fact, I sent Brad a message afterwards telling him to go see it.  Go play the course and then make a judgement of your own based on some substance. Don't come here and make judgements based on some stupid terms like restoration, interpretive restoration, sensitive restoration or renovation. That's silly.  Some courses have data that permit restoration if and when the membership cares to undertake such a project. Other courses take a different path. I think Dev Emmet would be pleased with what he sees today on the ground at Seawane but that's just my one opinion and I'm only a stupid GW rater at that.

Stephen Kay is hardly ever spoken of on this site. I think he butchered Rockaway Hunting Club, butchered a quaint Dev Emmet course owned by my town (Lake Isle) yet did a good job with some of his original work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back