News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Cross Creek Plantation-P.B. Dye
« on: November 08, 2004, 12:26:20 PM »
The high school team that I coach has just been invited to play in a GA-SC Challenge Cup tournament at Cross Creek Plantation in Seneca, SC next April.  I have looked at the web a couple of times, but have been unable to find much about the course, other than it is a P.B. Dye course.  I've only played two P.B. Dye courses, and liked both, though I would rate both as on the unusual side!

Anyone out there know much about this course?  Is it similar to other P.B. Dye courses that you have seen?
Thanks!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

A.G._Crockett

Re:Cross Creek Plantation-P.B. Dye
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 10:12:12 AM »
Just wanted to bring this up to the first page in hopes of finding someone (Michael Whitaker, Turboe, ??) who might have played this course.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:12:35 AM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 05:59:41 PM »
AG - Cross Creek is a very interesting course and, yes, a little on the unusual side. It is a long and difficult course with a lot of humps, bumps, dips, swales, banks, slopes, and deep depressions around the greens. It is also a bit schizophrenic with some holes playing through a flood plain with a tight corridor of trees, some with severe elevation changes like a mountain course, and others playing through wide open areas reminicent of St Andrews.

I never try to apply the word "fair" or "unfair" to golf courses, but it is hard not to use those words (often) at Cross Creek. I'm a big fan of "quirk" and I love to see design with imagination.  Cross Creek is VERY quirky and EXTREMELY imaginative. How's that for being diplomatic?

Now, having said all that, I've enjoyed every round I've played at Cross Creek... at least a dozen times.  Clemson University's Athletic Department used the course for media events before The Walker Course opened.  It is in a beautiful setting, with a beautiful clubhouse, and there are a lot of interesting holes. Feel free to call me (864-297-5513) and I will fill you in on as many details as you want.

Cross Creek has had a major problem with their greens (and conditioning in general) over the past year or two. They recently fired their super and hired a new staff to turn things around.  Hopefully, the course will be in good shape for your team in April.  I played there a few weeks ago and the greens were as bad as I've ever seen on a private course.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 06:58:57 PM »
Thanks, Michael.  

Off the top of your head, do you remember the yardage?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 08:02:44 PM »
Championship Tees: 6846
Blue Tees: 6424

Here is a link to the Cross Creek Plantation website:
http://www.crosscreekplantation.com/

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back