News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Hutto

Re:The Fourteenth at Cuscowilla
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 09:30:03 AM »
I'm actually going back this weekend so I will inquire and post what I learn.  

Need a fourth? (semi- ;))

blasbe1

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 10:15:48 AM »

Need a fourth? (semi- ;))

I'm bringing my Dad to the member guest which is a two-man 5 nine hole match format over 2.5 days.  

Yes, I liked Cuscowilla so much that I joined after the first round I played!

So all should read my posts regarding #14, the greens, or the bunkering with that caveat in mind   ;)

Mike_Young

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 05:51:08 PM »
Food for thought.....14 is a good hole but IMHO people seem to think it doesn't fit the rest of the course because of the tee shot visual.  The straight horizontal line of the pond dam seems to create this.  It would have been nice if the pond could have been removed and one could see the tee shot.  Now don't start think I'm slamming the place ...just commenting on how it sets up for me.
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 05:54:33 PM »
Mike,

Would you consider the eleventh at Athens CC to suffer in the same way from the pond margin? Very little of fairway is blocked from view on that hole but there is still a linear form in the foreground.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 07:19:15 PM »
Re: pace of play:  I thought the major culprits were (1) incredibly slick greens and (2) that deep rough which required too much looking for balls.  Even when the caddies kept an eye on the ball, it was tough to find it down in that deep rough.

(2) is a clear violation of one of Dr MacKenzie's rules for golf course design -- no deep rough and long hunts for balls.

Mike_Young

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 07:29:21 PM »
Brent,
I consider #11 at ACC to have the same issue as 14 Cuscowilla.  Sometimes it just has to happen but both are good holes.Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »
I think John Cullum's assessment of the 14th as a "five shot hole" is on the money.  I also agree with Brad Swanson's comment that it is "ambiguous," Tom Doak's that it's "awkward" and "very difficult" and Bob Crosby's that it's "maddening."  In summary, these gentlemen - no Johnny-Come-Latelies, have described attributes of a great golf hole in my sophomoric opinion.  

Pete Lavalee, who played as solid a round of golf as I've witnessed in a while on Sunday, accurately pointed out the challenge the second shot poses from the inevitable hanging lie off the tee.  There's so much room left there, with a turbo-boost to boot, that only the best player can - and in fact would either bother trying to - hold the ball up the right-hand side for a relatively simple pitch.  The penalty for failing to do so is indeed an awkward uphill third at a bad angle.  

The fact that the fairways bunkers are ugly step-sisters to those found elsewhere on the course visually enhance the hole's brutality.  It works on me - in five rounds there I recall a single par, one bogey and three doubles.  

Borrowing the slogan from a strip club's billboard, Cuscowilla is home to 17 beautiful holes and one ugly one.  

I like the ugly one.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2004, 09:32:49 PM »

Hole 14

blasbe1

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2004, 11:28:08 PM »
Hey:

That's the view from our new winter home so no calling the 14th ugly, you're messing with my property value here!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back