News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Cuscowilla / the Patriot offering
« on: October 22, 2004, 06:58:19 PM »
...turboe suggested and i seconded the idea that maybe any GCAers coming to the Cuscowilla outing might enjoy playing the Patriot course in nearby greenwood as well.....well i'm sure that would be cool , most likely gratis...... so if there is any interest , please let me know.......
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

Re:Cuscowilla / the Patriot offering
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2004, 07:07:50 PM »
Paul:

You really ought to get someone to post your photos of that course so everyone can see how clever you were in how you managed to use vestiges of old military warfare in golf architecture!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 07:12:30 PM »
...turboe suggested and i seconded the idea that maybe any GCAers coming to the Cuscowilla outing might enjoy playing the Patriot course in nearby greenwood as well.....well i'm sure that would be cool , most likely gratis...... so if there is any interest , please let me know.......

If I can swing another day of leave time I'd be very interested in seeing the Patriot. My teaching pro and the owner of our golf course played there a few weeks ago and have strongly encouraged me to play there first chance I get (I'm in Columbia so it's an easy trip). If a group wants to go there on the way to/from Cuscowilla that would be great.

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2004, 07:50:17 PM »
brent.....lets see the response and i will post the proshops number so most can make their own arrangements.
.....i'll call them in the morning.

tom ....i'm still learning how to find the cap key , posting pictures is the big league and turboe is the man if he can

...ps ,  how come you dont post them pitchers ? dont thank i member many eh?  ;)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2004, 07:58:05 PM by paul cowley »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2004, 07:59:00 PM »
I have to go right now, but will try to post a couple later if I get the chance.

Check back for that.

By the way not out of the realm of possibility that we could do Musgrove Mill in the morning, and Patriot in the afternoon on our way to Athens.  Although the time change may not allow that I forgot.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

TEPaul

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 09:59:10 PM »
"tom ....i'm still learning how to find the cap key , posting pictures is the big league and turboe is the man if he can

...ps ,  how come you dont post them pitchers ? dont thank i member many eh?"

Paul:

How come I don't post pictures? For starters, what's the cap key?    :)

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2004, 12:54:42 AM »
  the CAPS LOCK thing key......but you knew that.
 ...i'm an admitted self taught primative in most things ,while i sense you were BORN sophisticated and gifted in most matters ,arcane or otherwise , probably from a program of gene selection , luck ,proper funding and a secret scrapple recipe that no one in your family CAN or WILL admit to...[note caps for emphasis].

.....do you , or do you not own a digital camera ?
     i would suggest you consider your answer carefully....
     p ;)ul

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2004, 08:40:48 AM »
OK here due to popular demand here you go.....

Front Nine Scorecard and hole information.

Back Nine Scorecard and hole information.

Approach to the first, this is one of the holes that incorporates the "ruins" of one of the bastions of the old star fort.  As you can see a little early morning haze and humidity in SC indicitive of July 4th.  The week of the Dixie Cup it should be a little more clear crisp weather, sorry some of these pictures are a little cloudy because of that.

4th hole Par 3, pretty hole, and unique "punchbowl" green is a fun hole.  (Paul I am sure I probably am not using the correct terminology in your lexicon for some of these things.)

Par 3 7th hole is a sporty little hole with the old brick boundary wall coming very close to the green it is an integral part of the hole.  Great green contours.  With the green pinched between the wall and the bunker it is a very fun hole.

Greenside view of 7th green.  Hopefully you can see some of the wonderful contours.

A guy in the group behind us kept hitting into us, and I was going to go back there an tell him how things were going to be, then I saw how big he was...Nevermind!
(Actually our gracious host Paul)

Great false front on the Par 4 11th green, also I dont know if you can see the false left edge falling off of a center waist area of the green.

A quick look at our gracious host's short game.  As Fletch would say "Lobs are a very important part of the game".

Approach to the Par 4 14th.

Beautiful Par 3 17th plays over  a small finger of Lake Greenwood.  

That is what could await you at The Patriot.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:46:45 AM by Daryl K. Boe »

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 09:15:28 AM »
...just bumping this back to the top, trolling for golfers.

BTW , the scorecard has numerous errors created in a rush to publish ,the least of which is the length from the back tees , almost 7200 yds.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 10:21:19 AM »
BTW , the scorecard has numerous errors created in a rush to publish ,the least of which is the length from the back tees , almost 7200 yds.

Gee, and I thought, finally a set of back tees I might play... ::)

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2004, 12:41:40 PM »
I cant believe no interest in this???  I guess maybe it was just too late in the travel planning stages for anyone to have the flexability.

Or maybe Paul you heard driectly from some people who did not post here.  Is that the case?

Jason Mandel

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 01:42:18 PM »
How far is this from Cuscowilla?  I may be interested on playing there friday afternoon, as it looks like I may get in to late to participate in Mike Youngs event at Athens CC.

Is anyone else interested in playing there Friday afternoon?

Jason
You learn more about a man on a golf course than anywhere else

contact info: jasonymandel@gmail.com

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2004, 10:27:22 PM »
Its about 2.5Hrs to Eatonton.  It all depends on how (from what direction) you are getting to Eatonton.  If flying to ATL it would not make any sense.  If driving down from the north it might.

Jason Mandel

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »
Thansk Darryl.  I am indeed driving from the North.  Hence why I was thinking I may be able to get there in time to play a round and then drive to Cuscowilla but wouldnt be able to get Athens in time.  This is assuming I leave EARLY friday morning from Philly.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2004, 10:45:25 PM »
Hence why I was thinking I may be able to get there in time to play a round and then drive to Cuscowilla but wouldnt be able to get Athens in time.  This is assuming I leave EARLY friday morning from Philly.

Ah Jason, have you looked at a map recently or do you have like a Ferrari or something real fast? ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2004, 11:29:27 PM »
Jason,
Philly is about 14 hours from Athens
Mike
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Jason Mandel

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 12:24:32 AM »
Ok Probably not going to happen even if left Philly "early" on Friday night.  Probably a better idea to leave thursday night and stop somewhere midway.  I've actually done most of the drive before and as long as 95 doesn't get too jammed up its not a horrible drive.  

jason

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2004, 06:03:59 PM »
Hey I have been out of pocket for literally most of last week, did anything more ever come out of this.  Or is anyone else interested in getting out to Musgrove Mill on Wed or Thursday.

Just wondering.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2004, 10:16:18 AM »
I still want to go play at The Patriot some time soon. I guess it will be winter greens now so I'll have to wait until next year to check out the Mini-Verdae (sp?) greens but having recently played another Davis Love (with Paul Cowley) course at Myrtle Beach I'm eager to have a look.

If there's anyone else who would like play there over the holidays, here are some dates that would work well for me:

Sunday, December 19
Wednesday, December 29
Thursday, December 30
Friday, December 31
Saturday, January 1

I'll probably go it alone on one of those dates if no one else is available but it sure would be more fun with fellow GCA enthusiast(s) to compare notes and maybe play a little match of some kind.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2004, 05:45:50 PM »
I really like the look of the course from those pictures. I have not taken the time as yet to examine the score card.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 01:27:49 PM »
Wow, looking through those pix, there is one that jumps out.

Somebody should put a plaque next to the site of that chunkjob pitch shot.  Aarrgghh!! :'( ;D

In defense of our gracious host, it was a scramble format, and the ball that you see on the ground there is one of his partners.  At first glance you might be thinking that it was his ball and he just laid sod over it.

Brent,

As far as your schedule, I would love to play there with you, but I will probably be out of town from the 23-1 for the holidays.  But keep us posted on what day you end up setting it up for, and if my travel plans change maybe I can make it work.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2004, 05:07:52 PM »
Daryl, if there's a chance next weekend can work for you I'd be able to do it either Saturday 18th or Sunday 19th.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2004, 06:00:49 PM »
Brent,

I'm playing at The Patriot tomorrow (12/12) at 10:30 if you are interested in joining our group.

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004, 06:14:59 PM »
Michael,

I am interested. Let me make a couple calls and be sure I can make it jibe with my family obligations. I'll post and let you know in an hour or so...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2004, 06:18:09 PM »
Brent,

If you can make it give me a call to confirm: (864) 297-5513

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back