News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jimmy Muratt

How does County Sligo compare to Irish greats?
« on: January 27, 2003, 11:45:14 AM »
For those who have played County Sligo (Rosses Point) in Ireland, how does it compare to some of the other great Irish courses?  It looks like it has incredible elevation change and scenery throughout and, like most of the Irish links, wind should play a major factor.  Would it be the kind of course that you play often or just every few years?   #17 looks like a tremendous Par 4.  

I'm looking for a home base in Ireland and am trying to decide between County Sligo, Enniscrone, Carne and Ballyliffin.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

David_Tepper

Re: How does County Sligo compare to Irish greats?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 12:22:44 PM »
Jimmy-
I have played Rosses Point twice, in 1984 and 1994. I also played Enniscrone in '94. I have not played Carne or Ballyliffin.
Rosses Point is very good. You could argue that the holes on top of the ridge (#1, #2 & #18, I think) are a little weak, but the rest of the course is very strong and it is a beautiful spot.
I would not mind visiting there regularly. I think Enniscrone has changed somewhat since I was there. I liked Rosses Point better than Enniscrone. Sligo is a decent sized town for shopping, eating, etc.
Carne and Ballyliffin are awfully remote. They require some effort to get to and, aside from the golf course(s), there is not a whole lot going on once you get there. Remember, the roads on the northwest coast of Ireland are very modest by US standards and travel times may be much longer than you think they will be. That may or may not be what you are looking for.
I am also thinking about establishing a "home away from home" in the British Isles, so I have been thinking about many of these things myself.
My advice is to visit as many places as you can, spend time with the locals, walk around the villages, go into the shops & pubs and ask a lot of questions.
Good luck with your search!
DT  

ystone70

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 12:22:59 PM »
For my two cents worth....10 of us were in Ireland 3 years ago and of 14 courses played, we rated Sligo last.  There were some great elevation changes, ie #'s 2 and 3, but overall the course lacked the Dunes character of most of the rest. We did not get far West to play the others mentioned, but I would not recommend Sligo except for a one time play.   Randy

ClarkW

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 01:13:53 PM »
JimmyVA--
My group has visited Sligo twice. Originally in '96 as a stopover between Lahinch and Northern Ireland. We were impressed enough with the course and considered it a "hidden gem" that we revisited it in August 2002 to enjoy it for a longer stay. I highly recommend Sligo as a base of operations. Fun, bustling town with plenty of nightlife and within easy striking distance of other courses in the area. We also played Enniscrone and Donegal (Murvagh) while staying in Sligo.

I agree with David Tepper's comments regarding the course. Couple of weak holes in the beginning (1 and 2) and at the very end (18 ) which all share the higher ground around the clubhouse. Remainder of course provides a great variety of holes with yet more elevation changes. In my opinion, one of Sligo's strengths is that there are plenty of tough holes but the course is very playable and doesn't beat you up every single hole if you are hitting it a little off line. Lots of opportunity for recovery (i.e. just finding your ball and getting it back into play!). It goes without saying that Sligo shares many characteristics of what makes Irish golf so much fun:
-- friendly, welcoming clubhouse;
-- interesting, varied course which can be constantly buffeted by the winds;
-- beauty of the surrounding area.

P.S Don't miss Enniscrone. Another great surprise for us on our most recent trip.

Jack Marr

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 01:20:12 PM »
I would agree with David's points, on the most part. Deffinately check the places out yourself.

The 17th in Rosses is generally picked out as one of the best in ireland. Super hole. There's also great scenery around the area.

Enniscrone is beside Ballina, which is a big town. It's about 3 and a half hours from Dublin. That's not bad.

I have since joined Carne and would recommend it to anyone who loves the links, but it is a bit remote so would not suit everyone. I play there a good bit anyway, so I know the area. It's about 4.5 hours from Dublin.

Slag Bandoon

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 10:15:36 PM »
 Jimmy, Sligo is a good-sized town for all your needs and Rosses Point is loads of fun.  The turn tore me up as the winds were brutal but it was educational, nonetheless.  Don't miss it.  I never played The Strand course but have heard nice things about it but not in great must-see category.

About Carne, may I suggest you drive out and play in the afternoon and then stay the night in town and get a dewsweeper tee time the next morning and then play again in the afternoon after soup and sandwich and a Guinness.  To be out in those dunes solitarily with the sun rising is one of my favorite memories of Ireland.  You will feel like you are at the edge of the world.  And without anyone pushing or playing thru, you can take your time and soak it up and take some pictures.  

My favorite lodging in Ireland was a B+B in Belmullet called Drom Caoin.  Take a baby loaf of Monterey Jack Cheese with you and you may get special treatment.  The proprietor is an articulate and interesting woman who knows the area very well and can answer any questions you may have.  

Enjoy and report.

jack marr

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2003, 04:12:02 AM »
Oh well, one more go

These are pictures of Carne from the website...

Jack Marr

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2003, 04:19:35 AM »
Jaysus, it worked.

The first picture in the above post is of the 17th in Carne - possibly the best links hole in the country.

Here are a few more pictures

The 15th from above

The 16th

The 14th

The 2nd

The holes around the clubhouse - the tiny white speck on the left of the picture. This gives an indication of the size of the dunes.

jack marr

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2003, 04:28:55 AM »
The 17th at Rosses Point

The 11th and 12th at Rosses, with Benbulben in the background.

Paul Richards

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2003, 05:02:50 AM »
As Randy says above;

>For my two cents worth....10 of us were in Ireland 3 years ago and of 14 courses played, we rated Sligo last.

That was about the impression of my group when we had 16 of us traveling all over Ireland and I don't think anyone wasn't disappointed over Sligo.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Paul Turner

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2003, 06:52:23 AM »
I suspect that Rosses Point is still the second best course in the North West region, even with all the new development.  The routing is an obvious strength but also there's a good variety of hole with interesting hazard placement as at holes like the 7th and 8th.  Best hole is the double dog leg 14th, not the 17th.  As usual for a Colt course, there's a fine set of par 3s, the 4th being a super bunkerless one, but I think my favourite was the 13th.

Perhaps it doesn't get so many rave reviews because it lacks the big dunes that many associate with Irish links.  But as a golf course, there aren't many better over there.

Paul Turner

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2003, 06:55:27 AM »

A picture of the great 8th.  Unfortunately you can't see the interesting ridge down the right hand side of the fairway.

ForkaB

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2003, 07:03:20 AM »
Paul

"2nd best" in the Northwest?  What's the 1st best?

Paul Turner

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2003, 07:52:09 AM »
I need a geography lesson!  I was implying Portrush!

Jack Marr

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2003, 11:16:37 AM »
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/sligo1.html

This is a good place to start learning about Sligo.

Enniscrone, since the changes, is one of the 5 best courses in Ireland, in my opinion. I don't have access to photos I can post though.

It would be nice to see reviews of Enniscrone and Carne on this website, although I know that would be difficult. I know Doonbeg is on the next 50 list, so maybe while there...

Bill (Guest)

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2003, 06:51:30 PM »
I played all three courses last summer and would concur with the thought that Enniscrone was the best of the three. When I was at Rosses Point in August, it was their open competition week. I don't know if you enjoy competitve golf but if you do it might be worthwhile finding out when each course has open competitions schedule. The members that I played with were extremely nice and welcoming.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2003, 05:51:07 PM »
I am a great fan of County Sligo.

The stretch from 4-17 is a real favorite in links golf, thanks to the variety from the bunkerless one shot fourth to the drop shot tee ball on 5 to the burn snaking its way along the flatter two shotters to the excellently routed one shot 9th along the ridge to the left to right bank to kick the ball onto the 11th green to bouncing the ball onto the 12th in two to the Paul Turner's favorite one shotter to the best hole on the course (the 14th), etc. etc. etc.

I am surprised by the number of negative comments above. Certainly, County Sligo had a very tough run in the mid to late 1990s with course conditioning issues but I assume that is behind them now? Also, the first few holes and the last one are only OK but still....that run from 4 to 17 takes some beating. I recall a fairway like the 7th as having plenty of ripples to where  I certainly wouldn't complain of flatness - perhaps that memory is wrong  :-/

When going to Ireland/Ulster for at least a week, I would definitely include Sligo for the reasons above. If going for just a few days, I would just camp out at County Down  :)

Cheers,

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back