News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Windermere: Roller Coaster Golf
« on: October 11, 2004, 09:20:18 PM »
Windemere is the popular tourist town and lake for England's best landscape:  The Lake District.  

Short course, only about 5000yds, and plenty of challenge.

1st

4th

5th (Side on)

6th

6th looking back

7th

8th with outer fells in background.

10th

11th

12th

13th

14th

15th-ridge dictates the shot

15th...line of play from left.

looking back to tee.

16th

16 closer

17th tee

17th
Missed the 18th and 2,3

A just around the corner...it's the Lakeland Fells proper; my favourite place for a holiday.

Buttermere from the summit of Haystacks.

Fleetwith Pike.

Great Gable in the distance.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 04:30:39 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

David_Tepper

Re:Windermere: Roller Coaster Golf
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2004, 10:12:45 PM »
Wow!!! What a nice looking course. It would appear the course has few, if any, bunkers. Yet, the course looks 'complete' without them. Thanks for the pix! I have to get to that corner of England some day.

Joe Perches

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2004, 10:23:16 PM »
What a beautiful little course.  I'll have to go play this one day.  It reminds me somehow of the little golf course on Vestmannaeyjar in Iceland, except this one has trees.  Thanks for posting.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 10:58:09 PM »
Incredible pictures and views, thanks for the pics. Paul, what are some the yardages for the holes.

ian

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 11:05:22 PM »
Paul,

I love these places, I'm greatful for you and your friends who photo these gems. While short, it struck me that a number of shots were really tough with the severity of slopes away from the greens. Will the ball run long distances in many cases or is the turf a little longer and more forgiving of the poor approach.

Would this be comparable to Merion West for fun and subtle difficulty despite the short course?

Keep adding the landscape photos too, this will help convince my wife to go there.  ;D

RJ_Daley

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 11:18:26 PM »
At 5000 yards, this little gem ought to only allow the player to carry 4 irons of your choice (no fairway metals or driver) and a putter.  But, are the tiny greens quite uncontoured?  Perhaps it would be just a little more fun with a 1000 or so more sq ft per green and a little more contour.  No sand is a cute touch of quirk however.

What 4 irons and putter would you use?  I'm thinking 3-6-9-pitching wedge-putter.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 07:38:01 AM »
Paul
Thanks for posting .

These must be the best pics. you have taken this year ? .

Designer ? .

Brian

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 08:08:40 AM »
Paul:

Is the flag on the eleventh hole extra tall, or is the hole a lot shorter than I thought from looking at the fairway?

That is a really pretty piece of land.  Is it possible they have the room to stretch it to 7,300 yards so it can be considered for a junior event?

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 08:40:08 AM »
Beautiful pictures, great color, thanks for posting and sharing with all of us :)
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Paul_Turner

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2004, 09:24:52 AM »
Pleased you like these.  It was a very easy subject and I have a new camera with a polarising filter...good colours.  I love the textures that you find in the mountain and hill districts of Britain and Ireland.

http://www.windermeregolfclub.net/golf_club_history.htm

George Lowe, who routed most of Lytham, is the architect.

The 11th is about 266 yards from the back, 222 from yellow.

The greens are well conrtoured in general.  Not buried elephants but a lot of slope.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2004, 01:15:29 PM »
Thanks Paul,

You do Windermere a nice, but fair, service.  It's a fun course and yet it is no pushover.  As I said in an earlier post, there's some good golf to be had in and around the English Lakes.

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2004, 01:30:12 PM »
Paul - Once again your work is nonpareil (not counting Mark Rowlinson's wonderful installments).

Quick question - can you tell me about the 12th? Where is the green? I see something in the distance, but it looks like the green adjoins a fairway coming from the opposite direction.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2004, 03:28:11 PM »
Hey Ian...

I wonder if the name for Windermere (House) golf course in the Muskoka area, north of Toronto, was borrowed from this particular golf course in England?

After all, Muskoka's Windermere was designed by George Cumming, an Englishman. Perhaps Cumming was familiar with England's Windermere and sensed the similarity between the two - sporty golf courses in tourist areas comprised of hundreds of lakes.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 03:29:01 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2004, 03:32:02 PM »
Paul,

Great compostion, as always; however the colours do seem
extra vivid. Care to share any details on the new camera?
Thanks again for a wonderful glimpse at the Lake District.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Paul_Turner

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 08:18:52 PM »
Camera is a Canon Rebel (digi) with a Canon 28-135mm lens.  With a polariser filter to take out some of the haze in the sky...which maybe helped saturate the other colours too?  I didn't tweak them in photoshop.  It is a very rich landscape with the heather, bracken, rocks, grass etc.

You can just see the original 12th green tucked in a hollow down the hill.  There is now an alternative green tucked behind the trees  (nicely done).  The photo I took was from the back tee which has a line of play across the 11th fairway, the normal tee is more in line with the marker pole.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 08:21:30 PM by Paul_Turner »

mark chalfant

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 10:44:55 PM »
Thanks paul, greatpiece of land, I love those par three over
the valleys.lovely compositions and saturation

Paul_Turner

Re: Windermere: Roller Coaster Golf
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
this course is getting some interest so thought i would fix the links and resurrect.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 05:19:50 PM »
Delete

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 09:58:55 PM »
I thought I was aware of most courses worth a look.  Clearly I was wrong.  This looks like a most enjoyable and beautiful place to play and stay. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Paul Gray

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »
As I think I wrote on the other thread about Windermere, it looks like a wonderful course sadly let down by missing fairway, particularly in the form of the horrible error that is the pinched green approach.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2014, 09:53:57 AM »
As I think I wrote on the other thread about Windermere, it looks like a wonderful course!!

Paul,
I took the liberty of editing your post ;) ;D

One of my great regrets of having to miss the Silloth BUDA was missing the scheduled round at Windermere

The last three pictures (absolutely stunning stuff Paul) are a great illustration of why I enjoy what Sean A describes as "windshield time"
I often plan drives through such scenic areas as part of the trip (Donegal, Kerry, Scottish Highlands), which of courses adds to the drive time, but greatly enhances the experience
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 10:27:36 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Paul Gray

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2014, 10:12:41 AM »
As I think I wrote on the other thread about Windermere, it looks like a wonderful course!!

Paul,
I took the liberty of editing your post ;) ;D

One of my great regrets of having to miss the Silloth BUDA was missing the scheduled round at Windermere

From you, I will tolerate that.  ;) ;D

Don't misunderstand me, I'd happily give them my money regardless of the current set up.
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

James Boon

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
Paul,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

It appears that the 12th has changed from when you took these photos to when we visited just before Buda in 2012? The green looks to be at the bottom of the hill in your photo, but when we played, it was tucked against the far bank, with a small pond short and left? Must be a recent change, though I cant see any other obvious changes?

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Ed Tilley

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2014, 07:33:35 AM »
Paul,

Thanks for resurrecting this thread.

It appears that the 12th has changed from when you took these photos to when we visited just before Buda in 2012? The green looks to be at the bottom of the hill in your photo, but when we played, it was tucked against the far bank, with a small pond short and left? Must be a recent change, though I cant see any other obvious changes?

Cheers,

James

Well spotted - I missed that. The pictures below illustrate what you say. From the 2004 tour:

From my tour in 2006

Probably 40 yards longer with the pond short and left that you can't see in my photo put in as well. In the 2004 photo there does seem to be a fairway extending past the green - maybe this was a temporary for some reason?

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2014, 09:01:01 AM »
Great movement of the land, that looks to be a course one would never tire of playing. Great Pics!
Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back