News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

peter_p

world masters games-edmonton 7/05
« on: September 28, 2004, 09:37:56 PM »
For those of you interested in golf around Edmonton next year, consider competing in the World Masters Games next July 22-31. You will play three of these courses:
Blackhawk (Whitman)
RedTail Landing (Puddicombe)
Northern Bear (Nicklaus signature)
Wolf Creek (Whitman)
Coloniale (Newis)
Cougar Creek (B Robinson)
  The age flighted competition for those 35 and older, has the first two days are stableford (gross and net) and the third day stroke play.    Daily winners play the finals at Stanley Thompson's Mayfair.
Arrangements can be made to play those you missed in the draw. Check out their website at www.2005worldmasters.com

Banff and Jasper are nearby, and the Calgary Stampede ends July 18th.
Blackhawk is highly recommended and I enjoyed Wolf Creek
despite is schitzophrenic meld of links and forest, even though I was very wild and lost off the tee. I haven't played the others, but RedTail Landing is a links course currently hosting the Alberta Open (negative mounding reviews). Coloniale is a open and rolling links course. Coiugar Links is a "traditional routing on rolling hills and forested fairways."
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 09:54:43 PM by Peter Pittock »

Jeff_Mingay

Re:world masters games-edmonton 7/05
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 10:27:19 PM »
I had heard about this event while we were finishing the new practice course at Blackhawk eariler this summer. Sounds like a real party!

And Peter, please note, both Blackhawk and Wolf Creek are "Whitman signature" courses  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 10:39:58 PM »
Sorry, I should be sincere here too...

Edmonton is a fantastic city. Honestly. There are more than 1 million people in the greater Edmonton area. The University of Alberta is there. The people are wonderful. And the summertime is beautiful.

Plus, there's good golf at Blackhawk and Wolf Creek, at least.
jeffmingay.com

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 11:28:31 PM »
Peter,

The proximity to Banff & Jasper are a definite bonus for those attending the tournament. I can unbiasedly attest that Blackhawk is a fantastic golf course, and once a few more people on this forum get the opportunity to play there, Jeff can tone down the enthusiasm. ;D The bunkering is a perfect blend of stategically placed and artistically constructed, while the greens offer some fascinating internal contour. Further, the green surrounds on a number of holes can be used skillfully to get the ball nearer to the hole, thus offering both the aerial & ground routes for golfers. And the views are out of this world, an enjoyable and exhilirating walk, even without clubs.

I've driven past Red Tail Landing at least a dozen times to and from the Edmonton airport, and while I'm sure the golf is good, the mounding looks quite unnatural. They do appear to be blocking both unsightly views and noise from the adjacent Calgary Trail Highway, and that in and of itself is not a crime, but from the road the mounding does not appear to engage with the fairways & greens - hence, containment mounding (a la Rees Jones) that everybody here seems to dislike.

Finally, Mayfair G & CC may be originally the work of the great Stanley Thompson, but the renovation by Les Furber seems, to my eye, to have eliminated (or not restored) a little of that artistic flare. The bunkering, compared to Jasper, Banff & Capilano does not feature the intricate series of capes and bays that help give his bunkers a hundred different looks depending on your angle. Further, the two large lakes near the clubhouse are glaringly artificial and detract from the experience.

Tyler Kearns
« Last Edit: September 28, 2004, 11:30:04 PM by Tyler Kearns »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 10:21:56 AM »
Tyler,

Geez.. thanks for the compliments on Blackhawk. I'm glad you enjoyed the golf course that much. Really, thanks.

Make sure you get back in summer 2005 to play the new three-hole practice course. It's behind the seventeenth green/eighteenth tee, along the river bank. The holes have already grow-in nicely. They should be open for play early next season.

I echo your thoughts on both Red Tail Landing and Mayfair, which could be really cool. The club has a great location, down in the river valley but much closer to the city. Unfortunately though, they haven't been able to resist constant renovation to the golf course over the years. As a result, the place is really a mess. It's too bad.

We have a great report Rod Whitman wrote for the club a few years ago re: the condition of the golf course. In polite terms, Rod plainly explained Mayfair had a neat old Stanley Thompson-designed course and they ruined it! (Sometimes the truth hurts, eh.)  
jeffmingay.com

peter_p

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2004, 03:32:46 PM »
Tyler, Jeff
Thanks for the input on the courses I haven't played or seen.
I was going by the press release, which didn't mention Furber's work at Mayfair.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back