News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

USGA slope and course ratings for foreign courses
« on: September 27, 2004, 11:16:34 PM »
Does anyone know which of the following clubs have USGA slope and course ratings?

Sunningdale (Old)
Royal Birkdale
Royal Lytham & St. Annes
North Berwick (Old)
St. Andrews (New)
St. Andrews (Old)
Carnoustie (Championship)
Royal Troon (Old)

I visited the USGA site, and it said there is no conversion method for the SSS (Standard Scratch Score); but, that some foreign golf associations may have assigned a slope and course rating for posting in the U.S.

Nonetheless, I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Carlyle

Joe_Hatley

Re:USGA slope and course ratings for foreign courses
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2004, 12:46:56 AM »
The Old Course is 71.2/128 from the medal tees, per a notice posted at the starter's shack.  I know that North Berwick has no USGA ratings.  I could have sworn that Carnoustie had a rating, but it apparently does not because I did not post my score from there (and it's not because I'm a sandbagger!)

Eric_Dorsey

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2004, 01:29:25 AM »
I noticed Lahinch had slopes on their website.  

130 from the tips,   :o,   no wonder I struggled.   ;)

BTW, Lahinch has a great website, as does Carnoustie.  I noticed 3D aerials on Lahinch's website, a first for a UK course I think.  They just don't seem to do any aerials of golf courses there, unless you shell out $100-$200.

here's the link.   http://www.lahinchgolf.com/Scorecard.shtm

johnk

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2004, 01:42:57 AM »
Mike Benham has a list of 500 overseas ratings from the USGA.  See this link for a FREE sample!!

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?action=display;board=1;threadid=13956;start=0#msg238255

ForkaB

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 04:14:50 AM »
Thanks John (and Mike).  Missed that thread first time around.

I wonder if the various golf unions in Britain and Ireland are planning to compare the USGA course ratings (calculated by formula) to the actual scores achieved in closed and open tournaments (Competition Scratch Scores)?  Some courses tend to play easier than the formulaic USGA course rating in competitions while others play harder.  Surely it would not be that difficult to make adjustments based on real life experience--particularly where you have a wealth of high quality data, as you do in GBI?

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2004, 08:29:49 AM »
Carlyle
I registered on a website this year called gametracker , so I could keep track of all my scores .

I was surprised to find that most of the courses on this website had slope and course ratings already entered .

In fact I started searching for obscure courses around the world that I had played and never found one that wasnt rated .

I have no idea how accuarate these rating are , or who entered them .

http://www.freegolfinfo.com/gametrack3/index.asp

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2004, 11:36:13 AM »

Sunningdale (Old)  
Royal Birkdale
Royal Lytham & St. Annes  
North Berwick (Old)   (West?)  71.0  121
St. Andrews (New)    72.8  126
St. Andrews (Old)     72.1  129
Carnoustie (Championship)     75.1   145
Royal Troon (Old)   73.2   134

Carlyle - the list that I got from the USGA was only Scotland courses ... I can email the entire list to you if you would like ... (or anyone else for that matter)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2004, 01:52:50 AM »

Carlyle - the list that I got from the USGA was only Scotland courses ... I can email the entire list to you if you would like ... (or anyone else for that matter)

Please, do.  My e-mail address is:

crood@uga.edu

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back