News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Palmetto Hall
« on: September 13, 2004, 04:34:24 PM »
Today a friend told me about Palmetto Hall, a Bob Cupp course that he said was laid out on computer, then never changed, so that there are square greens, trapezoid bunkers, pyramid mounds, and so forth.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I have just never, never heard this story.  I did a search here on GCA, and there is a reference to the course in the Ron Whitten interview (he refers to it as the "computer glitch" course).  

Has there ever been a thread about this?  Has anyone here ever played it?  
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John_Conley

Re:Palmetto Hall
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 04:54:52 PM »
Cad/Cam, all straight lines so you have geometric shapes.

I have not played it, but have seen it photographed a bunch.  I'm told you kind of lose perspective at ground level and it doesn't seem so odd - or at least not as funny as it looks in pictures.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

Re:Palmetto Hall
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 05:19:12 PM »
Today a friend told me about Palmetto Hall, a Bob Cupp course that he said was laid out on computer, then never changed, so that there are square greens, trapezoid bunkers, pyramid mounds, and so forth.

Your comments make it sound like an accidental oversite.  From what I understand it was done intentionally with the computer generation phenomenon and Computer generated graphics being all the rage at the time.  They tried to make a course using sharp geometrical shapes.  I am ashamed to say that living here I have never played it either.  

I have however heard the same comments that John mentions that when playing it at ground level you might not even notice unless you play close attention.  From the air it looks pretty wild though.  I have talked to a few people (granted ones that could care less about architecture, etc) and some of them have not even noticed that anything was out of the ordinary.  When I asked them what they thought of the sharp goemetric lines, they said they didnt notice.  They said something like "I do recall some of the mounding being kind of sharp peaks." or something.

Someone has to find some pictures and post them here if you have never seen it A.G. it is pretty wild.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back