News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Phillips

Re: Great hole but do you recognise it?
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2003, 06:37:29 AM »
Bob,

I find it difficult to see how a manmade course such as ANGC (no matter how well it was routed) can be compared with that of a course that evolved from 1650!

The members realised (IMHO) that they had to get over the hill probably from town so that's how they did it.  Basic brutal GCA!!

Isn't it unfair to compare ANGC with Gullane?  

Gullane is just a wonderful, rough and ready links course, which difficult yet fun to play.  No more no less.

Brian.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

BCrosby

Re: Great hole but do you recognise it?
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2003, 10:33:25 AM »
Brian -

I don't mean to single out Gullane. One of the things that struck me about the courses I played in Scotland last summer was how inartfully some of them handle elevation changes.

For example, I think the weakest holes at Dornoch (nos. 7 and 16) both happen to involve elevation changes. Ditto for Cruden Bay; nos. 9 and 10 are not up to the rest of the holes on that wonderful course. Gullane fits the same pattern.

It's interesting to note that Kingsbarns is built on the side of a large hill, but the course is routed so that the only time you move up or down its pronounced slope is between greens and tees. No hole climbs or descends the hill. Well, maybe the tee shot on no. 18 does. But you take my point.

As to my ANGC comparison, I think it apt. Though Gullane is some 400 years older, both were designed by the hand of man. Someone located tees, greens and fairway centerlines on both courses. Weighing the relative merits of those design decisions is not, I think, improper.

Bob    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back