News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete Lavallee

Best GCA in Plymouth, Mass.
« on: August 30, 2004, 08:38:43 PM »
Looking for a recomendation for some good GCA in the Plymouth area. There are many new courses which I haven't had a chance to try out yet, any thoughts?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

michael j fay

Re:Best GCA in Plymouth, Mass.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 08:40:55 PM »
Plymouth CC is a good one, par 69 plenty tough.

The only new one I have played is the Jones course at Pine Hill. It is a pleasant yet utterly forgettable track.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 08:52:09 PM »
Waverly Oaks is a wonderful Silva design that is forgiving and yet challenging and ranks high on the fun factor scale.  Number 6 on the New England Journal of Golf rankings of public courses in New England (Pinehills - Jones - is number eight) and the top 5 make Golf Magazine's Top 100 You can Play list.  Their website is www.waverlyoaksgolfclub.com  

Cliff
« Last Edit: August 30, 2004, 08:52:48 PM by Cliff Hamm »

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 08:54:05 PM »
Pete,

I don't know if it's open for play yet, but Old Sandwich is hidden there, somewhere in Plymouth...
jeffmingay.com

DTaylor18

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004, 08:57:13 PM »
Plymouth CC is my favorite in Plymouth.  Of course , the cape is just over the bridge.  Pinehills is the nicest public facility in the area and gets a lot of the press.  I preferr the Jones to the Nicklaus course, but general opinion seems to be 50/50.  I think the best unknown one of the bunch is Crosswinds, which opened about a year ago and is a lot of fun.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2004, 09:14:53 PM »
I believe Plymouth CC is private.

DTaylor18

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 09:50:35 PM »
Plymouth CC is private.

Keith Durrant

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 10:12:35 PM »
I second Waverly Oaks. It's very well conditioned at the moment, more fun, and cheaper than the Rees Jones course at Pine Hills.

Martin Del Vecchio

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 10:18:25 PM »
I find Waverly Oaks to be a more interesting course to play than either of the Pinehills tracks.  All three are in the same class, however, of "excellent public courses with the country-club-for-a-day feel."

A notch below, but still nice, is Atlantic.

T_MacWood

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 11:20:10 PM »
Kittansett and Woods Hole aren't too far away...both are very interesting.

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2004, 07:26:26 AM »
Kittansett and Woods Hole aren't too far away...both are very interesting.

Tom

Hate to be critical but it seems whenever anyone asks for courses to play in a certain area up pop ultra exclusive private clubs.  The Country Club in Brookline is also about an hour away as are other great metro Boston courses.  My point is that if you're visiting and unless you know a member I don't believe you're walking onto Kittansett.  I know I'd love to play it but the closest I've gotten is to walk Kittansett when the MGA has held a championship there.  I see little value in listing names of top private clubs when someone is looking for golf in an unfamilair area.

Cliff

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2004, 06:29:41 PM »
Thanks to all for the replies. It seems Waverly Oaks would be worth a try. I was not fishing for an invite to an ultraexclusive Club, but rather trying to find out which of the newer courses (Pine Hill, Atlantic, Waverly) would be the most interesting. I did play Plymouth CC, back in the days of limited outside play, a very enjoyable Ross layout; shame they have closed the doors as it was not very busy there the last time I played it. Kittansett is always fun to play, but you must now be accompanied by the member, which complicates matters there. Haven't played Woods' Hole, but Mr. Goodale as speaks fondly of it. Is Old Sandwich auditioning new members, or are the roles already full?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Jim Sherma

Re: Best GCA in Plymouth, Mass.
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2023, 07:18:06 PM »
I’m going to be in Plymouth the week of the June 13th and can sneak out for a round with my son. Any more recent thoughts on a good play? Is it worth having my club’s shop reach out to Plymouth CC?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2023, 07:42:24 PM »
Plymouth is available on Boxgroove....Should therefore be no problem to gain access..

Tim Martin

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 08:04:51 PM »
I’m going to be in Plymouth the week of the June 13th and can sneak out for a round with my son. Any more recent thoughts on a good play? Is it worth having my club’s shop reach out to Plymouth CC?

Jim-Plymouth CC is terrific. You won’t be disappointed. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back