News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Re:Golf Magazine Thrifty 50
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2004, 12:19:57 PM »
On the thrifty side Rustic Canyon deserves to be in the top five given the nature of what is generally charged for the slop that calls itself golf for much of SoCal.

Rustic is truly remarkable for what it provides and for how little it charges.

John_McMillan

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2004, 12:33:33 PM »
This has to be the hardest type of list to put together.  Given the responses here, there aren't many whose play-list overlaps.  Given that, I'm not sure how you rate one guy's favorite against another guy's.  I'm a little surprised that there aren't ANY courses from Michigan on the list

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2004, 01:21:04 PM »
I have played two and 1/2 (back nine at Pacific Grove).  In looking at the above posts, some have played a few more, but not many more.  Just shows how difficult it is to rank courses.  This is a pretty active group in seeking out good courses, and we haven't played many.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Jason McNamara

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2004, 02:10:55 PM »
On the thrifty side Rustic Canyon deserves to be in the top five given the nature of what is generally charged for the slop that calls itself golf for much of SoCal.

Rustic is truly remarkable for what it provides and for how little it charges.

In the face of economic reality, perhaps GCA should have its own addendum to the list.  What are the 10 best $80-or-less courses in various high-rent districts around the country?   This would mostly be southern New England, mid-Atlantic and coastal Calif. courses... places where -everything- is expensive.

Jason

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2004, 03:15:11 PM »
Adam,

You wrote, "Philip- I've been under the impression that because of the srewed-up system, those 10m couldn't play there. However, the glaring statistical anomially is the sign that reads how one needs to be an accomplished golfer to play the Black. How many of those 10m fit that category? "

Good system or bad, and I believe that it sucks for lack of any better words, it still provides the opportunity for many to play at $38. And the article is titled "Most Affordable Courses" not Most Affordable Courses for the good players!"  ;D  ;D

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2004, 05:19:01 PM »
I've played three of these tracks,Rustic Canyon,Tokatee and Olympic at Gold Mountain.

How many Designer/Architects have multiple courses on the list?  Is it possible that local architects doing quality work at a reasonable price are future stars in course design?

I see that Tim Liddy has two courses on the list; The Fort and Rock Hollow, both in Indiana.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2004, 05:41:22 PM »
Oops..guess I've played four.  I missed Wild Horse, which if there's a better value course in the country, I need to get there.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2004, 06:03:07 PM »
Brad Klein, I'm not advocating all of the Robert Trent Jones Trail courses, but I do like the two 18's at the Grand National at Auburn/Opelika.  They are a bit less over the top and have good lakeside terrain.  The greensites are not as large and elevated as many of the other courses.  I played 'The Judge' at Prattsville last spring and didn't care too much for it at all.  Too many virtually blind approaches because of elevation and size of the elevated green.  

Apparently the courses don't qualify because of maximum green fee consideration, but design wise, IMO, I think the Grand National courses should.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2004, 08:19:12 PM »
Here is the Golf Magazine list of the 50 best U.S. courses that you can play for $50 or less.

48. Big Creek, Mountain Home, AK

In the interest of saving some of you a lot of flying time, I'll note for the record that Mountain Home is in Arkansas, not Alaska.  That Golf Magazine got the abbreviation wrong tells me that while most of the courses are in flyover country, Golf Magazine is mostly not.   ;)

Oh, and I also enjoyed the Moors, though it was a while back that I played it.  It's a course that really depends on winds to toughen it... but I'm not sure the standard "northern Gulf Coast 10 mph onshore flow" truly qualifies as such.  I imagine the Seniors go pretty low there.

Jason

ps to W.H. Cosgrove re multiple designs:  Finger/Dye/Spann designed both Pinon Hills and Black Mesa.  Fwiw, they also did Paa-Ko Ridge (or as my friends call it, Kung Pao Ridge...).

Dan Smoot

« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2004, 09:31:45 PM »
I've played 8 --- 4,6,11,15,23,27,34,42.  I have to find these good relatively inexpensive courses to be able to look my wife in the eye.  Thanks to this website,  I would not have played as many.

JakaB

« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2004, 09:44:55 PM »
Over half of the posters on this thread play the majority of their travel golf comped...could that have anything to do with the lack of searching out affordable courses....note.. this is not a bash....I play most of my travel golf comped myself and rarely seek out the cheapies....sad that even GCA is infected with the snob factor.

John Foley

« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2004, 10:23:06 PM »
I've played 5. Couple comments:

-No way there are 3 better courses/deals than Wildhorse. Absolutley no way.

-Radisson Greens in Sytracuse is WAY over-rated for this list! Very un-memorable course. The public side of Drumlins CC is a better deal, but it still doesn't belong on this list.

-Hiawatha Landing is unbelievable secret. Drop this course in metro Chicago they would be charging $150 and have a filled tee sheet from May-Oct. I'll be back there in a few weeks and promise to get some more pics.

Additions:

-En Joie in Endicott, NY (5 miles from Hiawatha Landing) is probably the only PGA Tour stop anyone can play for sub $50.

-Greystone outside Rochester, NY. Fantastic place by Craig Schriener w/ some of the best greensites I've ever played.

Another I'll try to get some pics of. At $42 an absolute steal.

I was going to add Wintonburry Hills untill I checked the web site. It's pretty steep for a muni. Still a good deal.
Integrity in the moment of choice

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 08:25:29 AM »
Over half of the posters on this thread play the majority of their travel golf comped...could that have anything to do with the lack of searching out affordable courses....note.. this is not a bash....I play most of my travel golf comped myself and rarely seek out the cheapies....sad that even GCA is infected with the snob factor.

John,
I don't know how you know that, but I'll take you at your word.  However, I'm a high school teacher and don't get comped for anything, ever!  I've only played two of these courses, and won't ever be likely to play many more because of the relatively remote locations.  I think that's probably a bigger factor than whatever snobbery resides here.  Hell, I'd even play cheap golf with you!  ;)
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

JNC Lyon

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 08:42:31 PM »
Three I would add:
Oak Hollow in High Point NC. Best bargain of the century at $15.
Ravenwood in Rochester, NY. Haven't played Greystone, so I can't compare, but it is as good as Nearby Cobblestone Creek, which is supposedly comparable to Greystone.
Mark Twain in Elmira, NY. A Donald Ross Muni!
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2004, 08:47:28 PM »
Wilmington Golf Course, http://www.golfclubatlas.com/wilmington1.html, is around $20.  

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2004, 11:51:34 PM »
brian- i believe you are half right, for residents.

DMoriarty

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2004, 01:36:53 AM »

Careful Barney . . . Don't you remember what happened when I said this exact same thing last fall??   I still keep my back to the wall and my eyes on the door whenever I fear that raters may be around.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2004, 08:29:49 AM »
For the record, I can't remember ever being comped at ANY public course, nor do I mention that I'm a rater prior to showing up.  

I just pay the freight and get in line like everybody else.

JakaB

« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2004, 08:37:05 AM »
Cirba,

This was not a rater bash...I am not a rater and have not played any of the above 50 courses.....I don't know if I should be proud of you or wonder why you have never played Kiawah Island, Pinehurst, Pebble...or any of the other $200+ publics....or are resort and public two different animals..

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2004, 08:44:07 AM »
John;

I've didn't say I didn't play them, including Whistling Straits, Blackwolf Run, etc...20 on the Golf Magazine Top 100 in all.

I just said I also paid to play them.

JakaB

« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2004, 08:48:28 AM »
Damn...You payed to play all those overpriced courses when all it took was a call to be comped....even Pine Hill....for that I put myself back on rater bashing probation until the end of August.....you are an example to be followed my friend..for the good of the game.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2004, 08:55:04 AM »
John;

I think Dick Daley mentioned the other day what we paid to play Whistling Straits.  That's the usual modus operandi and if one wants to see and play a lot of courses, it does get quite expensive.  I should be driving something nicer than my Toyota, but life is about trade offs.

You mentioned Pine Hill, and I did forget that I played that one comped through a game that another rater set up.  I would have been bummed to have payed a buck and half for that one, I must admit.

Probably 500 of the courses I've played have been public courses, many of far lesser pedigree than the one's you mentioned.    

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2004, 08:57:56 AM »
Oh, and about Pine Hill...

You can see how much getting comped affects my rating.   ::)

JakaB

« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2004, 08:59:45 AM »

You mentioned Pine Hill, and I did forget that I played that one comped through a game that another rater set up.  I would have been bummed to have payed a buck and half for that one, I must admit.

Looks like I might have to appeal my probation....how did I know that redanman wouldn't pay to see a Fazio he knew sucked before he ever set foot on the property.....I forgive you if it makes you feel any better about the experience but I would feel better about the constant bashing of the course if I knew you had paid.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #49 on: August 23, 2004, 09:04:07 AM »
John;

You can't have it both ways...

Either raters are influenced by being comped, or not.

If your theory holds true, I (we) should be singing the praises of Pine Hill.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back