News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

PGA at Whistling Straits in '05? '06? '07...?
« on: August 14, 2004, 09:27:45 PM »
Perhaps the PGA's somewhat shaky status as a major could be fixed by adapting what has made each of the other three so successful; a known course identity and/or setup.

What if the PGA simply decided to go back to Whistling Straits every year?  By doing so, they guarantee a beautiful, dramatic venue.  They learn, by setting up the same course each year, EXACTLY how to set up THAT course; which tees to move up in which winds, how much to water, which pin positions for maximum effect on Sunday, etc., a la ANGC.

Whistling Straits is a public-access course, has a links look (regardless of how it is playing this week), and a pretty fair quirkiness quotient, a la the British Open.  (Give me some license here on the public-access aspect of the British rota.)

Finally, the PGA of America, because they are club pros, would have a setup that resembled the U.S. Open, but wouldn't be as likely to go "over the top".  They could pioneer the idea that if the best players in the world shoot -15 in perfect conditions, that it can still be compelling golf.  On the other hand, if the summer is dry, and the wind does blow, a massive train wreck could also occur hard by Lake Michigan.

As Gene Wilder said in "Young Frankenstein",  "THIS  COULD    WORK!!!!"

"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Nick Pozaric

Re:PGA at Whistling Straits in '05? '06? '07...?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2004, 09:49:21 PM »
I would get very bored looking at that course yr after year.  Looks like also they are going to have to fight the USGA for the course.  They are trying to get their mits on it as well

Doug Siebert

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2004, 12:06:21 AM »
Do you get bored looking at Augusta each April?

I would think that if the PGA was going to put that tournament on one course, they'd want it to be one that they owned.  WS was certainly better than most of the courses the PGA is played on.  This is the first time I've watched more than a few minutes of the PGA in as long as I can remember.  Usually I only watch the Masters and British Open, but both the US Open and PGA were played at some very interesting courses this year that didn't play as typical dart throwing or super-penal spinach courses so I ended up watching a lot of those tourneys as well.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2004, 01:31:17 PM »
I was very excited about the PGA at WS.

After a couple of 'easy' set-up days, the prevailing wind started blowing out of the South on Sunday, and the course bared its teeth.

I think WS proved to be a great championship venue and I look forward to th '07 Senior Open there.

;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

JohnV

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2004, 02:14:44 PM »
Do you get bored looking at Augusta each April?

Given the changes that are made each year, it can hardly be called the same course can it? ;)

I like the fact that 3 of the majors move around.  Besides, if the pros had to play two of Pete Dye's meanest courses (WS and TPC) every year they'd probably have a fit.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 02:30:19 PM »
This thread was really aimed at whatever has ailed the PGA over the years, but a helluva venue!

Three interesting quotes in today's press on the subject of a U.S. Open at Whistling Straits:

Nick Faldo:  "We (players) don't want the USGA anywhere near here."

Chris DiMarco: "I'd hate to see the USGA here and have rough about six or seven inches, because it would be almost unplayable."

Tiger Woods: "I wouldn't say U.S. Open because I'd hate to see hwat the USGA would do to this golf course."

I know it comes across as a bit whiney, but I take their point!
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back