GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Deepdale

<< < (2/6) > >>

Gene Greco:
bring your bathtub putter - they are severely sloped and are like lightening. make sure you ask your caddie as you approach each green where not to be or you will four-putt.

LenBum:
I haven't played Deepdale but numerous members at my club(Shinnecock Hills) are members there and the greens are notorous for being very tough to almost unplayable when they are up to speed. You may want to make a phone call to check when they do their fall green aeration. The majority of private clubs here on Long Island do their greens in September. But I do believe Deepdale holds off until October. Ours are done right after Labor Day. If you get a chance Fresh Meadow is right next door. Sarazen won the 1932 US Open there. Great track.

Craig Disher:
TEP-
Do you recall any of the original Deepdale? You might have been just a sprite when it closed - but you do have a remarkable memory. I've often wondered why the club didn't stay on site and make changes necessary to accommodate the expressway. Comparing the original design to the Lake Success property shows that actually not too much land was lost. Most of the holes could have been saved - unfortunately the Alps and Biarritz would have been goners.

LenBum - I think Sarazen won the Open at the original Fresh Meadow in Flushing which closed in the 1940s.

Andy Silis:
Len!

Thanks for the info re aeration. My host confirmed they don't aerate till Oct. Fresh Meadow is on my future play list. This trip I am playing Deepdale, East Hampton and then finishing off with Inwood. How're the conditions at your club ( Shinnecock ) post Open. ( In my humble opinion, the "fairest toughest track in golf".) Are the greens back to their perfect pre Open form?

Andy Silis

TEPaul:
Craig:

I don't recall any of the old Deepdale Macdonald/Raynor course. Whatever I know about it I learned from Dan Wexler's "Missing Links". From Dan's description of the events with the Expressway in 1954 it does seem the club really didn't have to move, and that they looked into staying with the loss of a few holes but decided against it. What remained of the course became the Lake Success C.C. but the holes that remained were apparently all redesigned.

The present Deepdale, although it continues to have a very influential membership apparently does not own the land of the golf club, and there have been some rumors in recent years that the township or village wanted to turn Deepdale into a local or public course.

The Macdonald/Raynor course I really was familiar with was the old Links Club that wasn't far from Deepdale. Unfortunately that's gone too now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version