GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Deepdale

<< < (6/6)

Tripp_Davis:
Craig Disher - I was very impressed with the mapping.  What you are calling #17 and #18 were orginally numbered as such and both are original holes.  They are now #7 and #9.  The original #17 has not been touched except to move the tee back along basically the same line.  the original #18 is original and largely untouched from the fairway to the green.  The original tee was maintained but not used because it crossed the current #8.  We recently convinced them to start using the original tee for this hole.  #1 is still #1 and the only change on the hole is the tee was moved slightly left.  The original #2 fairway is still in use, but it is much tighter, a bunker was removed and the green use to be where #5 green is.  The old #9 (now #18) is original from the fairway on, but the tee was moved 70 yards right (it actuall now is probably a more strategic hole).  The current #17 was #8, but we believe that Raynor built this green sometime after the original.  Beyond this, there are bits and pieces of original features still in use.

Patrick_Mucci:
A Silis,

I was under the impression that Robert Von Hagge had been brought in to do some work in the past, since he worked for Wilson in his early years.

Modern green speeds have pushed Deepdale over the edge.
One could hit all 18 greens and not break 80 when speeds are up, and if an opponent could place the ball, 90 might remain intact.

Some feel that the current course has too many doglegs,
7 out of 7 on the front nine, and 4 out of 7 on the back nine.

It's certainly a unique test, and a unique experience.

Andy Silis:
Tripp: Thanks for the clarification!

Rest of Treehouse Gang:  Thanks for your replies!

Pat: I recently played Westmoreland C.C. ( Chicago ). I hit 13 Greens and shot 81! Greens were running 13-14 on the stimp. On the first hole the caddy said make sure you keep it below the pin. I hit it 30 feet dead underneath the hole and had a straight uphill putt. Made a smooth fast greens lagging stroke and watched my ball do the Eveready Energizer Bunny and finish on the fringe some 20 plus feet past the hole!!!! The green speeds were definitely over the top for the grade and slope of the greens, but you know what?-------------I had an absolue blast in challenging my touch and putting stroke on those greens!-------My point is that sometimes it's all about having unique (and borderline extreme ) challenges other than tee to green.---------Westmoreland by the way is an Art Hill's remake that I actually liked. Really good use of cross bunkering. A fair amount of strategic options throughout the course. In my humble opinion a better course than North Shore, Glenview and others in the neighborhood.

Andy Silis

Patrick_Mucci:
Andy Silis,

Adversity builds character.

Too much adversity destroys it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version