GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Deepdale

<< < (4/6) > >>

LenBum:
Tricky the way they word it. The club "hosted" the US Open, not the course.

ChipOat:
LenBum:

At the risk of sounding sanctimonious, Shinnecock's club history is not in the least bit shy about their historic and important role of the CLUB hosting the 1896 U.S. Open on a different golf course than today's glorious William Flynn (w/a little CB MacDonald) layout.

Would you also consider that "tricky"?

Tripp_Davis:
To Andy Silis and the others that posted on Deepdale, I have worked on both the current and former Deepdale.  I "massaged" the greens on #5 and #8, at the current Deepdale, both of which had green speeds bring both to the point of having very few pin locations.  On #5, we took a green with with 7-10% slopes from back to front and recreated the back pin Wilson originally had and we soften the middle of the green in two spots to get those pins back.  On #8, we restored the back left pin and softend the middle so that a ball could stop when coming from the back of the green, rather than rolling off the front and 40 yards down into the fairway.  The current Deepdale is one of the better golf experiences you may ever have, owing a great deal to the way Bob Heaney (club manager) runs the club house and to Tom Fedora (golf course superintendent) for the way he maintains the course (possibly the most pristine golf course you may ever play).  The course itself has a very good mix of holes and it is very fun to play.  Other than the greens, it is not too difficult, but the greens make it very tough at times.  At the old Deepdale, a Macdonald/Raynor, the Long Island Expressway took a good bit of the course and only #1, part of #2, #7, #9, #17 and #18 are really original.  However, those original parts were largely untouched.  The club was having significant problems with drainage (because of the LIE) and we went in there last fall with an Engineer and worked on creating detention basins to keep the course from flooding at least once a year.  In doing so, we used the earth from the detention basins to remake many of the holes with Macdonald/Raynor bunkers that are similar to those that are oringal, we added a good many tees, and we had the opportuntiy to rebuild the 6th hole as a Redan.  It would be hard pressed to call it a Macdonald/Raynor today, but we gave it some of that heritage back.  For golf history buffs it is definitely worth playing to see some of the unique greens and bunkering.  We were not allowed during that project to address things on the course that did not relate to the "drainage project" or could use dirt from the drainage project, so we did not really do much with some of the bunkers and greens that were built in the 1950's when the LIE came through.  The club is planning on having us do this in the near future.  I would say that this time two years from now it will be more of the Macdonal/Raynor "rebirth" the club envisions.

LenBum:
"At the risk of sounding sanctimonious"

It does

My reference to the statement being tricky wasn't intended to be a slight to Fresh Meadow. I said it was tricky, not a lie. There are of course a few differences . Shinnecock has had a few other events on the "new" course since 1896. Also the "new" course is sort of in the neighborhood of the original course.

Craig Disher:
I didn't realize how much of the original Deepdale was lost until I compared old photos of Deepdale to the Lake Success property. Most holes were irretrievably lost - some off the picture to the left. The original course had a large, treed area in the middle which was used for several of the new holes at Lake Success.

#1, #17 and #18 are about all that could be considered originals, although #18 has a new tee more to the east and south.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version