News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Did William Flynn "sell out"?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2004, 11:56:37 AM »
"Uh, Tom.....
This is a discussion group where people express their opinions.  There is no right or wrong and no one really wins here. Typing more words and posting more posts does not mean that you win."

redanman:

That's perhaps one of the most cogent things you've ever said on here. And frankly in the context of this thread and discussion it's my very point exactly. It's just fine to have these discussions on here but if anyone actually wants to do something in the real world about what's discussed on here the ways to go about it can be and generally are very different from much of what's discussed by some on here!

You say no one really wins or loses on here---nothing on here is really right or wrong? Certainly that's true too, I'm sure. But I can certainly tell you if someone gets involved with a golf club, the maintenance of it or the restoration of it someone can certainly win or lose or be right or wrong. It's basically called success or failure vis-a-vis what the membership thinks of it.

But, again, you're right, this is only an Internet website discussion group, and no one on here really wins or loses or succeeds or fails. Perhaps that's why I often feel frustrated by a contributor such as Tom MacWood when he passionately discusses these things while at the same time claiming he really doesn't care what the membership of the course he's discussing thinks. Since he's not really in a position to win or lose or succeed or fail, I also think he's basically in a postion with little credibility too! At almost every real golf course, almost all of which have some form of membership their opinions on what's right and wrong or what's a success or failure really does matter, unlike what's said within this discussion group.

To me the attitude that memberships don't really matter to what's being discussed or planned for their golf course has always been a true excercise in unreality! If any of us on here want to get into the real world on this subject we pretty much have to get involved in what goes on with the care and maintenance of our golf course or some golf course. Anything else is basically a "no effect" discussion, as you rightly said in your last post!

« Last Edit: August 14, 2004, 12:01:11 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2004, 12:12:12 PM »
Tom MacWood:

I'm certainly not against preservation of great architecture, and if you think I am I can't imagine why. I just do think that golf architecture will always be an dynamic and interactive art form and in that way it's quite different from other art forms that are considered worthy of preservation, such as some of those you've mentioned---but we probably don't need to get into that again because it never seems to resolve itself on here.

I have no problem at all with your ideas on preserving great architecture and if some people have expressed interest in getting involved in it great. I just don't think it'll be particularly effective or comprehensive. I believe in restorations, and in good ones that at the same time really do work well for the maximum enjoyment of those that use a golf course. Afterall, that's what great golf architecture is all about you know?

And furthermore when you offer complete bullshit on here such as my "philosophy" is what contributes to the poor restorations or redesigns by a Fazio or a Jones I really do take great offense at that. That's not in the slightest bit true and if you're trying to act like it is on here I'm going to tell you you're full of crap at every turn!   ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2004, 03:07:47 PM »
I came across Michaela Romanini the other day (Her niece is marrying the prime minsiter of Italy) and I asked her, "Michaela, Do you think William Flynn Sold Out At Merion?" and she answered, "Absolutely dahling!" And she found nothing wrong with the new bunker lips at Merion.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2004, 03:20:07 PM »
Well, we know it isn't Tom Paul, because he's a purist and I know for a fact that if he looked like this, he would shave under his arms, which Michaela doesn't.

But, Michaela likes the neat and manicured Augusta-look and coifs herself to look like that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back