News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Peach/Palmetto Cup Rescheduled
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:42:46 PM »
For a number of reasons we must reschedule the Peach/Palmetto Cup at Cateechee. The meeting is now set for Saturday, April 26. As before, we will try to tee off about 11:00, followed by drinks, dinner, presentations and conversation.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. I had heard from about 22 people. I hope most you (and others) will be able to make it on the new date.

That's the bad news. The good news is that we have an great lineup of people giving brief presentations that evening.

They are as  follows:

- Charlie Rhymer, TV golf commentator and media cult figure, who has played 'em all and has lots of interesting things to say about golf course archtecture.

- Greg Burleson, superintendent at Augusta CC and formerly an assistant at ANGC, who will talk about the restoration of the Augusta CC course two years ago.

- Mike Young, designer of Cateechee, who will tell war stories about designing and building the course.

- John Stiles will talk about restoration efforts at his home course, Holston Hills.

There may be others as well. Talks will be about 15 minutes and are intended to spur questions and conversation.

Please instant message me here or email me a rcrosby@phrd.com with your availablity and thoughts about the Cup. All pricing remains the same (golf $25, dinner $25, open bar).

I hope you can make it. Again, apologies to all for the rescheduling.

Bob

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Robert "Cliff" Stanfield

Re: Peach/Palmetto Cup Rescheduled
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 02:54:24 PM »
I am still in and I have just sent you an email to this site.
Thanks, Cliff

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 06:02:56 PM »
Looking forward to it, I think that will be available as well.  No problems.  I am looking forward to hearing Charlie Rhymer as well he seems like a great guy when you hear him on the broadcasts.

Will email response as well.

Go Palmetto!!!!!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

JakaB

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 06:30:57 PM »
BCrosby,

This sounds like a great outing for us poor forgotten midwesterners...please keep up the updates..if it is open to all that is....you never know who might show up from an open invite...

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 09:40:56 PM »
Jaka,

I am a midwesterner as well, although I have lived here in Greenville, SC for a few years.  Rest assured we always laugh "no one is actually from Greeenville" so I would think as long as you come in a day ahead of time and play my club with me, that would be enough to give you SC "residency" and allow you to play for the Palmetto team.

Daryl

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 11:27:22 PM »
Bob - Sorry, April 26th won't work. We're having our club's member-guest tournament that weekend. Too bad... we were really looking forward to the match & meeting, and planning to bring 8-10 players to participate. Any other date and we're in.

Turboe - Where I live EVERYONE'S from Greenville.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 07:55:20 AM »
Michael,

Where are you playing the Member-Guest that weekend?

I may have a slanted view of things becasue I work out of my home.  So my circle of friends early was influenced by the main customers where I co-located an office and spent most of my time, GE and Michelin.  And everyone especially at GE all seem to be transplants.  That and now my circle of friends is also centered around Musgrove Mill.  But I must say that even in my neighborhood (Simpsonville out a ways on Woodruff Rd) most everyone is a transplant.

Bob,

I would respectfully ask also if we could see about moving the date.  Michael really was one of the people insturmental in forming the Palmetto side, and a large majority of our players were going to come from their Greenville Golfing Society.  If you exclude all of them we will be hard pressed to field a team.  Also I was quite looking forward to not only meeting Michael and some of his compatriots, but I also think that everyone there would likely be interested in hearing some of what Michael might be able to say about how their quest of developing a "Golf Club without Real Estate" is coming.

Do you think we might be able to move this date by a week or two?  Maybe a week earlier.  What week is the Masters this year? (hopefully that wont interfere).

Keep us posted.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

Brock Peyer

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 08:30:30 AM »
Please count me in. I am looking forward to it.  The new dates works better for me but am open to other dates for full participation.

JakaB

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 03:03:39 PM »
Turboe,

Thanks....I am always both touched and bewildered when someone offers to spend at least four hours with me....I will attempt to make this outing...but the date is still a little out there for a firm commit.

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2003, 06:52:50 AM »
I wanted to bring this forward.

First, please note the change in date to April 26. Again, we apologize for the change, but had no choice. If you have already confirmed on the old date, please reconfirm with me on the new date so we can develop a head count.

Second, I am very pleased that Phil Young will be joining us to give a brief talk on his latest research into the Tillinghast/Burbeck fuss. Phil has told me that he is working on an article for the Met Golfer magazine (did I get that right?) on the history of Bethpage. He has found some heretofore unexamined historical sources. He will update us on his research and may have some very interesting (dare I say explosive?) developments to report.

If you have not already done so, please let me know your availability for the P&P Cup on the new date. It should be a fascinating day.

Bob

Keith Williams

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2003, 08:04:51 AM »
Bob,

Just the same as before; I really have no idea of my schedule but the 26th looks great so count me in for the Ga. side.

thanks for all your work on this.

Keith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back