News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Redan help
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2003, 01:11:00 PM »
Carlyle,
I've played a few Redan holes, some as par 3's, some as par 4's and some as par 5's.
I've never played the original but it seems to me that it is the hole most used as the basis for further architectural interpretation. I say this given the numerous variations of this hole that I've seen on so many different courses and at all the "pars".

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

George Bahto

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2003, 03:49:34 PM »
I don't think you should try to put all these many "Redans" into groups of right or wrong or even to compare them to No Berwick 15.

This is just a magnificent golf strategy, to many - including myself, perhaps the best golf strategy whether it be on a par-3, 4 or occasionally on a par-5.

You usually cannot find the "proper" topography that matches 15-No Ber and, you know what? - who cares. There are various "less-than-true" Redan type holes that are very fine holes and fun to play.

There are a very few "elite" Redan holes - sort of the best of the best - and these should be truly revered as exceptional renditions of this genre and I'll leave it to you guys to discuss them - it's fun.

I think the various posts about this subject is really helpful, especially for the many who may not fully understand the Redan (or other) strategy.  I would bet that many of those readers/posters have been playing Redans for years not knowing it. I'm sure there are a lot of guys who might be too intimidated by this sight to ask. So this is what we are here for - to enlighten one another. Fun stuff.

George Pazin

« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2003, 04:00:30 PM »
I think Gil built one that could be a great one at Inniscrone - #8.

Of course, he couldn't put the tee in the right place because some bonehead local official felt it would be too close to the 7th green.

They should take that guy over to Applebrook...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2003, 04:17:14 PM »
GeorgeP:

That's the thing around here--different townships, entirely different deals. Applebrook was smart as could be that way--they essentially took on the township itself as one of their partners in the overall land project.

But you're so right about Inniscrone's #8--if Gil could've got it's tee right behind #2 green it would have been about a perfect orientation to a real runaway green and a quite high one too in relation to the tee that could've been.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Some township guy with some control in Inniscrones's district apparently read in a book by RTJ jr that a tee should be a certain distance from a green and the township guy figured that's the way it had to be by law or something.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back