News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Why I dislike Tom Fazio................
« Reply #50 on: April 08, 2004, 05:57:56 PM »

As Mike Cirba so brilliantly suggested--What's the difference? Which course is maintained like Augusta and which is supposed to be, or at least at one time was supposed to be maintained as rough and rugged, in tune with its sandy Heathland character?

Oh, I almost forgot, and just so there are never any questions....I would much rather be playing the 14th at the Valley instead of the over-rated piece of goobbledygook above it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 06:01:54 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2004, 05:59:57 PM »
Thank You Tom Doak.  So, Tom whats it going to be, rough or rugged or green and manicured like Jac.......Nevermind! :)

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2004, 06:01:41 PM »
I'm sure he's had something to do with the general direction of their work; and I'm fairly sure I would have told them to do the same thing.

Tom,

Can you elaborate on why you would have suggested a progressive softening?  Is it because the membership is growing older, along with their guests, and member satisfaction was declining?    

Is PVGC now considered a high-end resort course among the well-connected?

With technology getting better and easier to use, and PVGC's #1 ranking being called into question, what would be the motivation to soften the course?  That makes absolutely no sense for a course that holds itself to such high standards of history and excellence.  

???

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #53 on: April 08, 2004, 06:08:51 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

I think the choices are too general in nature, I think there's a happy medium.

If you look at some of the pictures in Geoff's book, "The Golden Age of Golf Design", you could attribute a manicured look to certain holes.

What is startling is the impact of the trees between the 1922-1925 photos, and the trees in the 1938 photos.

I know that TEPaul maintains that Crump wanted to achieve isolation, but I don't believe he ever envisioned "choking"  the golf course with invasive tree and underbrush growth.
Growth that impeded the lines of play and a golfers swing.

Ask yourself this question.

If you could fix but one thing,  would it be the removal of trees or returning the golf course to your rough and rugged look ?

I've been to PV long before Fazio was involved and I can tell you, it wasn't what you believe it was.  The photo from 1983 offers all the evidence you need to support that conclusion.

Tommy, the caretakers let the horse out of the barn a long while ago, don't blame Fazio for their oversight.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2004, 06:11:09 PM »
Tommy:

You pose a good question because no course -- including
PV -- should get a free pass from appropriate criticism.

Why should there be all the trees at the course -- what prevents a return to the "look" that existed for many years at the course.

I find it amusing that people will say things about Augusta which are quite accurate -- the addition of trees -- and then shy away because it happens to be PV. Is not what's good for the goose equally good for the gander?

I cast my vote for the rough and ragged look. If people have a hard time handling that type of course I urge them to follow the lesson given to those who aspire to get to Carnegie Hall --
practice, practice, practice! ;D

P.S. George P and I are finally in total agreeent  ;D -- it's time for some lumber to be axed!

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2004, 06:23:30 PM »
If I had to choose between less trees and a more natural look, I would take out the trees first.

These decisions are so simple... :)

P.S. Nice to finally agree with Matt - knew we had common ground somewhere! ;D
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 06:24:11 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

SPDB

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2004, 06:38:58 PM »
Tommy - I agree with Pat. You're choices are too general ... certainly the clean and manicured option is simply a strawman of an choice. The problem with your rough and ragged choice is that it may promote a "hands off" approach which led us to the Arboretum that PV now is (although less so than a few years ago).

Also, you've yet to answer the questions I posed to you in the first page. This thread, under its current heading is a farce, and its unfair for you to try to distract from it by posing questions that have nothing to do with Fazio.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2004, 06:43:55 PM »
SPDB,

Break out the champagne, we agree completely. ;D

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #58 on: April 08, 2004, 08:07:33 PM »
Hey, Matt Ward gets it!

The point is, and after careful deliberating, (which Sean and Pat have still failed to simply answer YES or NO) is that Fazio isn't responsible for the look, but isn't he the CONSULTING architect. Shouldn't he be directing Pine Valley to the land of milk and honey?  To direct them to the correct Maintenance Meld, where trees do not infiltrate play and the sand looks as rugged and natural as it was found in 1910*, or does he get a pass as well as the powers that be that never come into question at Pine Valley?

*Or whatever chosen year for RECOVERY
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 08:10:20 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2004, 08:11:53 PM »
I mean, after all he is directing Augusta National, Riviera, Merion and others isn't he? Or is just a coincidence?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2004, 08:19:13 PM »
Tommy:

Just a quick question to you -- does TF make the final decision on what is done or does the club leadership? I mean if things happen at any club who is watching the store?

I agree with you regarding the trees and how the course has evolved but it's a bit of a stretch to paint TF with a wide brush and say he's the main party responsible for everything.

Tommy -- the architect works at the behest of the club. If anything you have to put an appropriate level of "blame" at those folks because ultimately they are the ones who hired the person in the first place and it is they who allow or have allowed the evolution that many find disgusting given the inherent greatness that so many of these layouts possess.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2004, 08:22:28 PM »
Tommy,

I think I have more influence at Yale than Fazio REALLY does at Pine Valley, IMHO !! ;)

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2004, 08:35:08 PM »
You see, this is all my point. Shouldn't a consulting architect be the one that shows or directs or for a better word, "councils" the club on what changes would be in the right direction for the club?

If Mr. Fazio said, I want to move #4, 60 yards back creating more room for golf carts and parking near the clubhouse, the club would certainly have the right to veto it. But if the club said, "We want to move #4, 60 yards back creating more room for golf carts and parking near the clubhouse," then as consulting architect, he could advise them against this, no? (given the history and the complexity of tearing up golf holes just for the ridiculous notion that anything needed to be changed there)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2004, 11:15:16 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

Did you see the fabulous job Fazio did on the short course ?

The rough and unkempt look you like is a constant theme throughout all ten holes.

Perhaps he received different marching orders on the big course ???

SPDB

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2004, 11:22:49 PM »
Tommy - Your option mention nothing about tree removal, which, in my estimation is the biggest maintenance culprit at the course.

Maybe they should prune the trees in a random way, so they look "rough" or "ragged" or maybe not at all - that would truly conform to rough and ragged.

On the other hand, they could delicately prune every branch in a patter, so that it has a clean and manufactured look.

Why do you keep ignoring my questions. You posted a picture of PV's 14th, and cited it as evidence of "why [you] dislike Tom Fazio" You did so without any knowledge of whether the hole as pictured was ever touched by Fazio. Yet the thread remains.

Why not cover your ass and start a thread "Why I dislike either Tom Fazio or Rick Christian" ... just to be on the safe side? But that would dilute your asinine Fazio vitriol.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2004, 03:02:27 AM »
Tommy Naccarato,

Take away the rocks, and do you really find a distinctive difference between the two photos of # 17 at SC and # 14 at PV ?

At least SC bears a greater resemblance to its original form.

ForkaB

« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2004, 03:19:03 AM »
Good point Pat.  Having seen neither hole in person, I really didn't see any significant playability differences, at least from the pictures.  If there is any serious issue associated with this thread, might it not be:

"Did Crump envisage a course as claustrophobic as some of its holes now appear to be?"

BTW, my vote is with Pat and Sean, i.e. "Poorly framed question--any 'answer' is somewhere in the middle"

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2004, 06:10:32 AM »
Rich,
You prove the perfect example of someone that can dangeously make that call of seeing the differences, yet never having seen them in person to understand the difference between both holes. Pat, you of all people should be calling Rich on this!

In my mind, I can only think of two people I know that have played the two courses--Pat and Gibby, and while Pat loves Shadow Creek, Gib thought it was good, but from memory felt much like me that its a GREAT experience and a underwhelming golf course, both love Pine Valley, which Shadow Creek doesn't even compare.

For me being not a paticulary long player, at Shadow Creek #17 I hit 8 iron left of the green, pin high in the weeds and waterfalls and didn't even attempt to find it. My feeling while standing on the tee were just like any other forced carry over water some 135 yards, way above the hole. Meanwhile at #14 at the Valley, I hit a well struck 4 iron past the middle left pin, and just missed a comeback putt of some 15 feet for a bird. The whole time I felt like I needed to be hooked-up to a heart monitor!

Does this sound like they play anything alike?

Pine Valley's 14th is much more penal and Shadow Creek's 17th is not even in the same league, let alone CLASS of golf hole.

Why they are compared here is simply to show the similarities in THE LOOK and Nature of the holes, Both are forced carries over water to a green that is more or less an island, only Shadow Creek dresses itself up like a $35.00 Las Vegas call girl with the waterfall and artificial plantings and all. At Pine Valley, you have this wonderful sandy scrub that exists and is no longer exploited because of why? Wasn't the intent for building Pine Valley in such a site, as well as the thoughtful nature of a sandy site such as this the one alluring factor that makes Pine Valley so special to begin with? Why its as if your dressing a 35-year old Catherine Deneuve in cover-alls!

At Shadow Creek, great effort was made to make you feel like your hitting to these special greensites in the game, but unfortunately they don't play anything at all like them. It is the one and only really interesting saving factor for Shadow Creek--a far over-rated golf course in the scheme of ratings and rankings and popular opinion.

Rich, you are correct though. I don't think George Crump would have ever figured Pine Valley as being flush with pines like it is today. I think he loved the trees he had to work with, and knew that many of them would comeback in its evolution, but where does one draw the line on the penal nature of the trees themselves, especially when they impede on the actual characteristics and strategies of the golf holes themselves?  Pine Valley has made brilliant steps to recover this, so why not open the back up of the 14th and expose some of that beautiful sand hazards that were built there? I can't thnk of a better image in my mind then the beauty of the pines, to the stark contrasting sand as well as the picture that it would make to those like Rich who have not had the good fortune to see for themselves in person.

You would think that a consulting architect would want to inform his client of the possibilites like this, as well as could be acheived for next to nothing.  Instead, it's not about adding new tees to golf holes that seemingly have had no problem problem presenting a challenge to any form of golfer in the past.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »
Tommy Naccarato,

I never said I loved Shadow Creek, but it is a good golf course and a modern marvel.

And you can't use the hooker analysis, Shadow Creek was created in one of the most hostile environments known to golf and Pine Valley was created in one of the most favorable environments known to golf.  So your analogy is flawed.

One of my points was, that at least Shadow Creek has remained true to it's original form, while Pine Valley, through neglect has become "choked" by trees and underbrush over many years.

I can recall being in the right green side bunker on # 13 and not having a swing because a tree limb intruded into the bunker, I also recall a similar situation on the left side bunker on # 15.

Now perhaps those two impediments to play have been removed, but, that they were allowed to occur in the first place, and allowed to remain, is reflective of neglect or inbreeding.

Sometimes, clubs become so isolated that they don't get refreshing, constructive imput.

# 14 at PV is so much more spectacular in its 1922-1925 version, than it is today, as is the entire golf course.

Remember, I had the benefit of playing there 40 years ago.

I also understand TEPaul's comments on Crump's isolationist concept, but I don't think he ever envisioned an invasive concept.

Your two pictures have great similarity.

The differece is, that the picture of SC reflects # 17 as it was intended to look.

The  picture of # 14 reflects # 14 as it has been allowed to look, through neglect.

The two holes are similar, but not congruent..

Tommy, if you saw the work that Fazio did to the short course you'd be amazed, you'd never guess it was Fazio's work, and you'd never guess that the work was done by the in-house ground crew.

So, Fazio is capable of replicating the rough and wild look you love.   The question is, is that the look those in charge want on the big course ?

As I've argued with TEPaul many times, with the right direction a talented architect can do almost anything to achieve the look you want.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 11:34:01 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2004, 12:47:35 PM »
Pat,
I would totally agree with you regarding Shadow Creek to holding true as close as possible to its original form, but its a golf course that is what 15 years old compared to one that is close to 90. I think if you took a picture of the two at their exact ages, Shadow Creek would still probably look closer of the two simply because of the advancements in maintenance and the fact that it didn't have to survive through two world wars and a depression, as well in consideration to the relatively new world of growing turf grass and the period of time it took to learn how to grow grass there.

You and Sean, as well as Rihc, a person who has never even seen Pine Valley or Shadow Creek both expound on how it somewhere in the middle, and of course thats probably the more realistic verse of it. But if its you thats making the call--and this was the point of my whole question--what dress do you put it in: The really sexy thing showing all of the natural curves and twists or the three piece jobber that covers all the layers and rolls of fat?

Also, do you think that Tom Fazio is going to tell them what direction they should try to take the course in, or is he just waiting for their orders and working from there?

Andy Hodson

« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »
Tommy, Pat
Sorry to butt in, but the question I have from looking at the first picture posted is about the condition of the greens. Look at the shadows falling on  about half the green, and it seems to be a middle of the day picture. Plus, I don't see any fans and I can't believe the air circulation could be very good. Seems to me they would have to cut some trees just to get sunlight and circulation going on and around that green.

You both have played there...is/was turf health an issue with all the encroaching growth of the trees?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2004, 01:13:24 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

Shadow Creek looks as it was intended to look.

Pine Valley doesn't.

I suspect that once again, it's not a matter of extremes.
I would imagine that imput and discussion comes from both sides and a plan of action is decided upon.

All too often some revere golf courses for the wrong reasons.
All too often we attribute wisdom to those charged with their care.

Would you say that pinching in drive zones is in the spirit of Crump ?

Don't deify a golf course because it once embodied all of the principles you embrace.

So, which course is going in the right direction, SC or PV ?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2004, 01:17:18 PM »
Andy,
Given the length that Shadow Creek goes about making the experience of playing there a great one, I would say they probably very well move fans on to the green every night so that they are not an eyesore, or Dr. Fazio has come-up with an even more ingenious and expensive way to increase circulation. More then likely in a in-air system constructed in the green, which I think does eliminate the use of fans (would that be correct?)

I don't know what time of the day the picture was taken and without having to scroll back there and look at the pictures, but when I was there, it looked to me that there was a bit less coverage to better reveal the golf hole. I could be wrong, but it seems like it.  Another thing is the size of the two greens is different, but somewhat preportional to the other green, especially if one is thinking short hole-small green/long hole-big green formula.

If the 14th at Pine Valley is what they were going for at Shadow Creek #17, then I missed it when playing there and have never heard anyone else describe it as such.  In fact, I only know one person off-hand that likes the hole and thinks its one of the best ever--David Wigler.  

Personally, I think that the hole is a $35.00 hooker dressed-up to make you feel for it. Pine Valley, even if the sand was exposed in the back doesn't have to do this, and this explains why its impressive to the detail on how they created it all, yet proves the point at least to me that utilizing what the land has presented is the best way to GREAT golf.

Long Live the Valley that George Crump envisioned!

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2004, 01:23:16 PM »
Thats a great point Pat, but once again we are talking a course that is only 15 years old compared to one that is 90. I think thats a big difference, plus how many hands of touched Pine Valley in comparison to Shadow Creek?  

Hopefully Tom Fazio IV will be able to continue his ancestor's work, or maybe just maybe he'll look back and say, "What was my Great-Great Grandfather thinking when he designed this thing--and will then leave his mark upon it in the same fashion Dr. Fazio has left his mark on Riviera and others.

And NO, I don't like the direction Pine Valley is going in, thus my initial theme of the thread. I would have hoped that this would have been obvious.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 01:23:56 PM by Tommy_Naccarato »

SPDB

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2004, 02:01:40 PM »
Tommy - please address the points and questions I have made on pages 1, 2 and 3.

Simple question what does Fazio have to do with the 14th Hole at PV?

This is one of the worst of your many instances of shoot first, ask questions later.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 02:02:31 PM by SPDB »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back