News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carlyle Rood

Masters: New Playoff Hole Sequence
« on: April 07, 2004, 04:55:25 PM »
In his press conference, Hootie Johnson announced that a sudden death playoff, if necessary, would begin on the 18th hole this year.  If required, they would then go to the 10th, then repeat 18-10-18-10 until a champion is decided.

He cited waning sunlight as a reason to change.

THuckaby2

Re:Masters: New Playoff Hole Sequence
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2004, 05:12:57 PM »
Carlyle - I don't get how this saves time.  Is there a huge hike from 10 green to 11 tee?

TH

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2004, 05:18:14 PM »
Tom Huckaby,

As you move from # 10 tee you go substantially lower on the property, hence the terrain and trees can block the light.

Staying as high as you can is a reasonable choice.

BigEdSC

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »
I think a lot has to do with having the fans already around 18 green for the playoff and the jacket presentation is already there at 18.  It wouldn't take long to cart the participants to 18 tee rather than finish a playoff at 10 or 11 and have the fans and participants come up the hill for the presentation.  At least it sounds good.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »
Aha!  I hadn't thought of either of those issues.  Thanks, gents.

TH

FREEMAHC

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2004, 05:49:40 PM »
I agree with the reasoning, but thought it was cooler when they might have to face 11, 12 and 13...we talk about the risk reward narue of 11 and 13 al the time, and with 12 being so beguiling, what a great sequence for some match play drama.

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:57:07 PM »
Hunter, love your thinking. Too bad no playoff has ever gone past the 11th.  :'(

peter_p

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 09:00:24 PM »
We combined things. The 10-18-10, etc. sequence is for fan convenience. The lack of daylight comment was in response to why they didn't go to a multiple hole playoff, similar to The Open.

Mike_Young

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 11:03:53 PM »
I think camera lighting is also taken into consideration.  Pretty dark down by 10 green
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Carlyle Rood

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2004, 12:07:59 AM »
I was there in person for the playoff last year.  It was VERY dark on the 10th when Weir three-putted for the win.

It was interesting watching Weir interviewed on television about that playoff.  He was about 35 feet in regulation.  He said he was confident because he had a putt of comparable length earlier in the round.  He stroked it as he wanted; but, it ran eight feet by.

Mattiace (sp?) then rolls his putt almost entirely off the green?  Nerves?  Adrenaline?  Nope.  Without telling the players, they rolled the 10th green in anticipation of a playoff!  Consequently, both players were unaware that the green was faster than they had played it that afternoon.

Weir said he didn't learn about the greens being rolled until months later.

Marc Haring

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2004, 02:49:30 AM »
Kind of sneaky that Carlyle.

What I don't understand is why at these places they don't flood light a couple of holes. I mean, it's not like their struggling for money or anything. Last year we had the Presidents Cup that ran out of light, the European Masters nearly did and the year befrore they shared the title at Valderama because of light. I'd of thought they could stick some lights around #16 or something. It would be quite a spectacle if not quite in keeping with tradition.

johnk

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2004, 02:58:44 AM »
Umm, the Masters has maybe 50 guys playing on Sunday.

What time do they start??  

How about the leaders teeing off at the insanely early hour of 12:30?

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 03:26:17 AM »
I think a lot has to do with having the fans already around 18 green for the playoff and the jacket presentation is already there at 18.  It wouldn't take long to cart the participants to 18 tee rather than finish a playoff at 10 or 11 and have the fans and participants come up the hill for the presentation.  At least it sounds good.

The jacket ceremony on 18 can't be the issue, we all know that the first presentation is in the Butler Cabin (for TV) and then it is re-done on the 18th green ... so the fans are waiting (or could walk from the 10th green back to 18 green) regardless ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 03:33:57 AM »
On second thought, why doesn't the ANGC put lights up?   ;D

The could paint the housings green and brown and mount them in the tops of the pine trees.

This could be huge for the club, currently with their limited operating schedule (Nov - April) they could increase the number of rounds that members get in during the season by offering "night golf".

But wait, these lights would never be used for a Sunday playoff as it would be a conflict with CBS as the may have to preempt 60 minutes ... and CBS never does that ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Gary_Smith

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 09:04:33 PM »
To my way of thinking, going to the 10-18 format is a bad idea. I love the Masters, but it is beginning to lose a little of it's aura for me. The 10-18 idea is okay for a regular event, but not for a major.

The best way to resolve a tie is to play a 4 hole cumulative playoff, beginning at 10 and concluding with the great 13th. (if still tied after 13, go to sudden death starting at 14 and play in) The 4 hole playoff would guarantee that all the Amen Corner holes would get highlighted once again, and also give a man a chance to gamble at 12 and 13 if he fell behind early.

To do this, they could move the Sunday times up an hour or two. (they should move the times up anyway, in case there is a weather delay on Sunday)

tonyt

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 02:30:54 AM »
As much as they won't do it (unless they hit off much earlier), I love Gary Smith's suggestion. Not only does it remove sudden death, it gives us a guaranteed playing of #12-13, where even a two stroke lead in the playoff is not safe. Imagine the second shot decision on #13 if it is the final playoff hole rather than just the pivotal back nine moment it is now!

BigEdSC

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2004, 09:39:06 AM »
Wow, I really like Gary's idea, if he could sell it to the power's that be.  Imagine standing on 12 with the lead in the playoff, and having to contend with the right back pin placement.  Then dealing with 13 and any range of the number that could come from there.  That, folks, is pretty good to think about, and imagine the chatter after the tournament about what went on and all of the Monday morning quarterbacking.

Top100Guru

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2004, 09:46:34 AM »
As far as light goes......they should play 18, then 1, then 9, then 18.....probably the better light would come from a sequence similar to this.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2004, 11:03:46 AM »
John K, Nails it. Tee off earlier. Penalize slow play, harshly.

I do like the notion of installing lights. Hidden underground until dusk.

I'd be happy to put together a fixture that allows for both white and blacklight, which will improve efficeincies by serving doublely, as a visual and growing mechanism.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back