News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Roberts

Re: Ten most recognized names in golf architecture
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2003, 12:15:01 AM »
I would say,
Tom Fazio, Rees Jones, RTJ2, 1.Nicklaus, Art Hills, Pete Dye and Family, Ben Crenshaw, Greg Norman, Palmer, and Player
1. Nicklaus Best Golfer Ever (so far)
2. Palmer Favorite Golfer Ever
3. Pete Dye and Family (TPC Sawgrass)
4. Tom Fazio (Masters Doctor and Hundreds of courses)
5. Rees Jones (Open Doctor)
6. Greg Norman (For High Priced and Visually different Golf Clubs)
7. Player (The third of the big three)
8. RTJ2 (Hundreds of Golf Courses)
9. Art Hills ( Good marketing and has been in the business for a long time)
10.Ben Crenshaw ( Probably be better known if he did more than two courses a year and didn't work with that other guy who's last name starts with a C)  
Let's keep it that way.

It's very weird that only two (Dye and Hills) of these guys didn't get a start through family or professional golf.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Rick_Noyes

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2003, 07:49:13 AM »
I'm reminded of a line in Driving the Green, where Mike Dasher is on a plane and tells the guy next to him that he is a golf course architect.  I believe the reply was, "you're not Jack Nicklaus or Arnold Palmer, who are you?"  I would be inclined to agree with Shivas.  The list would probably be two deep, maybe three.

John Foley

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2003, 10:09:28 AM »
Name recognition of them as architects;

Fazio
Nicklaus
Palmer
Jones (Rees & RTJ)

Beyond that I would expect to get alot of blank stares and Oh Yeah's for a signifcant portion of the golfing population. I asked a two friends this weekend and the only other name they came up w/ was Norman. When I asked them which course he designed they could not name any.  When pushed they'd heard the names of Player, Couples, Weiskopf, Crenshaw and vaugley knew that they we're architects, however could not again name any of their courses unless they had played one. When pressed they never heard of Doak, Hanse, Devries, Weed or Hurdzan. They do read Golf & Golf Digest so may be aware of names, but not specifics.

I really believe that most golfers, unless they have some significant or passing interst in architecture, will not recognize any of the archies out side those 5 and some of the PGA Tour guys who dable.

For us on the other hand...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »
Integrity in the moment of choice

Bryan_Pennington

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2003, 02:46:46 PM »
I would not overlook DL, III.  He has had modest to good sucess with Anderson Creek and The Preserve in NC and his Barefoot Landing course gets desent reviews.  Combine his family name, PGA title and connections to Sea Island; and I believe he will only have more future opportunities.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2003, 03:13:48 PM »
As has been pointed out, it depends on where you live. Here in Minnesota, Joel Goldstrand would probably rank right up there at the top. Beginning in the late '80s, he began designing some of the state's most high-profile public courses. Later, Weiskopf, Arthur Hills, Bob and Rees Jones, Nicklaus and Palmer brought big-name architecture to the state, but Goldstrand would still rate very high. After the Quarry at Giants Ridge opens this summer, I'd think Jeffrey Brauer will be a top-10 name in this state as well.

I'm sure each region has second-tier designers who are very respected, prolific and well-known. Here, we've got Garrett Gill and Don Herfort who have designed many of the better-known courses in the region.

The Twin Cities just got its first Fazio a couple of years ago, but it's the ultra-private Spring Hill, miles west of the metro, which I don't think has made any impact on the average golfer.

We could use a Doak and a Coore.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Nixon

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2003, 09:09:32 AM »
I agree with Mr. Foley - I doubt most players would be able to name more than 3 or 4 living architects, and maybe 1 or 2 dead ones; perhaps Ross.  It's also regionally dependent. Here in Indianapolis I'm sure Pete Dye would be mentioned, and possibly the late Bill Diddle.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2003, 09:27:34 AM »
This thread reminds me of an amusing story. Whether true is another matter.

Two golf architects were at the same airport and had checked in for the same flight. While waiting at the gate area one left and a few minutes later there was a page for the one who left -- "Would Mr. xxxxxx xxxx xxxxxxx please pick up a white courtesy phone..." Although it could not be proven, the other architect always had the notion that the fellow who left had himself paged just to further his name.

[Names withheld to protect those involved]
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

George_Williams

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2003, 10:16:56 AM »
Hey Forrest-

I can believe it.  BTW, did the way you arranged those x's mean that the guy used his middle name?

George

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2003, 11:21:59 AM »
I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I heard the story third-hand.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2003, 01:05:23 PM »
Where is Ted Robinson's name on any of these lists?

It just proves how inaccurate they all are!:)

Don't we all have something better to be talking about architecturally? (Allright, I guess I'm being a little too harsh here. I'll stop.)

henrye

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2003, 02:23:09 PM »
1. Nicklaus
2. Palmer
3. Player
4. Faldo
5. Robert Trent Jones, Jr.
6. Dye
7. Rees Jones
7. Fazio
9. Weiskoff
10. Norman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back