GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Why does Jack get a free pass

(1/12) > >>

Dave_Miller:
To the Treehouse:

In the Magazine-"The Majors of Golf 2004-The Masters Edition" (Publisher Richard K. Summers, Executive Offices 2600 Philmont Ave, Huntington Valley, Pa 19006)  there is a full page advertisement on Page 31 where Jack Nicklaus is endorsing a product known as Quick Shot by Laser Link Golf.  This product is a hand held device that measures the distance to the hole by pointing it and lining it up with the Flagstick.  The Flagstick has a special device on it which then gives the exact distance to the hole location.  The player when looking into the device receives the exact distance.

The advertisement quotes Jack as saying:
"Knowing the exact distance to the hole is a key element in hitting a good shot.  There is nothing as disappointing as hitting a good shot with the wrong yardage.  Eliminating doubt allows a player to fully concentrate on shot execution."

Under the Rules of Golf - Rule 14-3(b) states:
"Except as provided in the rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment:
b. For the purpose of gauging or measuring distance or conditions that might affect his play;"

In addition the following decisions also address the issue:

Decision 14-3/3 states:
Neither standard spectacles nor field glasses which HAVE NO RANGE FINDER ATTACHMENTS are artificial devices within the meaning of the term in Rule 14-3

Decision 14-3/5.5 states:
..."However, a player must not use a device with a distance measuring or distance calculation function.

Clearly the Laser Link Product is not permitted under the Rules of Golf yet it is being endorsed by Jack.

While there are resorts that attach similar devices to the golf carts to speed up play they are not permitted under the Rules.
According to one member of the USGA Rules Committee there was substantial discussion of this Rule because of the continuing use of these items on many carts.  However the R&A were adamant in their position against such devices.

Jack knows he cannot use this device in any tournament or championship play so it appears he is endorsing its use by the everyday player.

Not only is the device against the current rules it goes against the Spirit of the game and helps to remove many of the Architectural Subtleties so important to the game.

Isn't this the same position Arnie took when endorsing the Calloway ERC Non-Conforming Driver for the everyday player.  How can Jack's endorsement be any different.

Arnold Palmer was severely criticized for his position in that endorsement.  

My question is - Why is Jack receiving a Free Pass?  Why isn't Jack receiving the same criticism for this position that Arnie received?

So - Why is Jack receiving a Free Pass????

Best to all
Dave

Tom_Doak:
Dave:

I think this is one case where the Rules are trailing the curve of popular use.

A ton of golf courses have carts equipped with GPS to provide exact yardages.  The rest have every sprinkler head from 275 yards in labeled.  Why should a range finder which gives you the same info be prohibited?

I hate playing by the numbers, but if the USGA wants to ban it they have to go a lot farther than they do.

Matt Dupre:

I think most tournament players use range-finders during practice rounds to determine distances from landmarks, etc. (those that don't get the detailed yardage books from that one guy - forget his name - who does use a range-finder to put together his numbers).  I don't think Jack is endorsing the use of range-finders during competitive rounds, whether on tour or on Saturday morning - I know the guys I play with would wrestle it away and make it "unplayable"  ;)

I also think there's a big difference between endorsing Callaway, a major player in the industry, and an admittedly small golf accessory.  

Jack certainly is getting involved in some weird stuff in his later years - Stryker (based on his hip replacement), that swing-plane tool you see the infomercial for every 60 minutes (it seems) on TGC, and now this.

Lou_Duran:
Other than accuracy, is there a material difference between noting distances with a high tech device than stepping-off a course?  The latter has been done since at least the 1960s by the Golden Bear, and, I suspect, much earlier by others.

I will say that playing Rustic Canyon without marked distances on the sprinkler heads took some adjustment.  While the 200 and 150 poles on the perhiphery of the holes helped some, I have to wonder if the lack of the now customary distance plaques is responsible for the 4.5 - 5 hour rounds out there.

As has been noted before, a lack of yardage information provides a great home field advantage.  For travelers, distance markings helps a bit to lessen this, and makes the golfing more meaningful.

Dave_Miller:

--- Quote from: Tom_Doak on April 01, 2004, 01:22:49 PM ---Dave:

I think this is one case where the Rules are trailing the curve of popular use.

A ton of golf courses have carts equipped with GPS to provide exact yardages.  The rest have every sprinkler head from 275 yards in labeled.  Why should a range finder which gives you the same info be prohibited?

I hate playing by the numbers, but if the USGA wants to ban it they have to go a lot farther than they do.

--- End quote ---

Tom:
Everything you say is correct but the point is why is Jack getting a free pass for endorsing an illegal product.  
This is the same guy who spoke against and criticized severely Casey Martin.
When the next Rules revision comes around in 2008 I think those devices will probably be permitted (if not sooner) butr for now they are not permitted.
So why does Jack get a free Pass????

Best
Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version