News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dennis_Harwood

What is an ideal Stemp?
« on: April 13, 2004, 05:56:37 PM »
Based in part on the recent Golfweek article (the Augusta "model" for greens--smoother, shorter, faster) is leading to unhealthy greens, extensive costs and obsolete greens (limited hole locations), ---and for the "average" course (say 50,000 rounds on an annual basis) "smoother, longer, slower--and much more healthy" should be the standard--

If you agree, what should be the ideal stemp as a average for year round play ?

Jim Sweeney

Re:What is an ideal Stemp?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »
Clearly depends on the green design and the type of grass, geographical location, micro climates, etc. Remember also that pace of play is affected by green speed, and the so the general quality of players at the facility needs to bve considered. A higher handicapper generally requires green below 9, IMO.

"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

rjsimper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2004, 06:13:03 PM »
I think people all too often get caught up with "fast" as some sort of romantic ideal.  Now, fast is nice, but I think primary concern should be true.  That being said, I would rather put on greens that rolled at a 7 but were smooth and true than greens at 11 and patchy or browning (which I have seen in cases where courses seem to have tried so hard to make fast greens that they end up making putting browns)

Ideal for me is 10 or so...fast enough that smooth strokes are possible/desirable, but not so ridiculous that you would have time to hit a flat 10 footer and say the pledge of allegience in the process.

This, of course, is contingent upon greens that are puttable at such a speed.  At my college course, certain greens are unputtable at anything faster than 8...literally, 5 and 6 putts abound.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 06:15:07 PM »
This has been discussed quite a bit with Dr MacKenzie's fabulous greens at Pasatiempo in Santa Cruz CA, which has some of the steepest slopes (and most unpinnable slopes!) in existance.  Unfortunately the greenkeeping staff will occasionally cut a cup on one of the more severe, maybe 6%, slopes and all bets are off on 4-putting!   :o  This is due to both the slope and the speed of the greens.  If they are going to set up Pasatiempo with holes cut in some of the wilder locations, clearly the stimpmeter needs to be running more like 8 than 11.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 06:15:28 PM by Bill_McBride »

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 07:54:08 AM »
In my opinion the ideal stimpmeter reading for any golf course works like this;

You identify that point on a green you'd like to keep as pinnable that's the point that goes over the top first on the course. You mow that point to a height were it remains just reasonable (near going over the top). Then you mow the rest of the greens at that height setting, then go take a stimpmeter reading on flat spots on two greens and whatever the average stimpmeter reading is on those two holes is the ideal stimp number for the course.

The next thing you do is don't advertise what that reading is and if any member tries to use his own stimpmeter you throw him out of the club without a word. And if some members complain that an ideal or top stimp number of say 9 is too low and embarassing for the course just let the super tell them it's whatever they want to hear. For instance, if they want greens that stimp at 12 and they really stimp at 9 just tell the super to tell them they're 12!

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 08:48:14 AM »
An ideal Stimpmeter (not "a Stemp") is a broken one. Just toss it away.

SL_Solow

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 09:38:27 AM »
I still say that the response of our greenkeeper, Paul Voykin, to inquiries of this type is the correct one.  When asked "how fast are the greens running?" by a member, the stock reply is "too fast for you!"  On a more serious note, the original purpose for the stimpmeter was to allow a greenkeeper to measure the consistency in speed among the greens on his course.  It was not intended as a comparative tool between courses and the "race" to have the fastest greens has led to more sick turf and dead greens than any disease within recent memory.  That does not even consider the effect on architecture which we often discuss, e.g. the trend toward flatter freens.  When we use a stimpmeter, the readings are not disclosed to the membership.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 09:51:36 AM »
Varying the greenspeeds, day to day, is a wonderful way to keep your golfers on edge.

I can't tell you how different the greens on the peninsula are when they are cut for the boys. I think I only saw Spyglass get super f&f once, for regular play. The reads are so completely different, when the greens are fast, that one hardly knows them at that speed. I like that! It challenges the mind and the body.

Peter Galea

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 09:59:06 AM »
The best use of the stimpmeter is for pounding in hazard stakes.
Though I have seen them fitted with a slingshot on the business end!
"chief sherpa"

JohnV

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2004, 01:40:12 PM »
Personally I feel that the best use for a stimpmeter is to whack slow players to get them up to speed. ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 01:46:29 PM »
Personally, I always thought Curly Joe was "ideal", but Shemp Howard had his moments, as well.

Oh..wait a sec...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back