News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Corbin

Re: Bandon Report
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2003, 08:58:36 AM »
As an Oregon resident I have had the opportunity to play each course about 10 times (always in the winter).  I would lean towards 50/50 especially the first time.  While I agree with the consensus on this site that PD is the better of the two courses I think BD is closer to being a peer than many do.  The courses have a truly different feel to them and in any group of golfers BD will appeal more to somebody than PD.  That is what makes Bandon such a special place.  Where else can you play two courses of this quality back to back and then sit over a beer and discuss the merits?  The bottom line is that on the first trip I think you have to give them both a chance and then you can decide what to do on your future trips.  That in itself as has been pointed out will make the discussion in the pub very lively.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

bakerg (Guest)

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2003, 09:03:43 AM »
For the sake of argument that Coore and Crenshaw get the third course.  Its very possible that they will create a World 100 course, thus giving Bandon the only trifecta in the world.  I am a little bit scared of this due to the fact that I don't want anyone else to find out about this place.  Its only be open since 99 and I am already missing the old days when it was quite this popular.

Doug Wright

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2003, 10:04:09 AM »
bakerg,

It's likely already too late. The only thing that will keep Bandon remotely sane is its remoteness--until they introduce direct jet service from LAX/SFO or other places into North Bend (or the newly constructed Bandon International Airport  :o ), at which time it'll be just like Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach... :(

And TH, as somebody used to say all the time on this website,
"It's just my opinion, I could be wrong."  ;D

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

ForkaB

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2003, 10:30:41 AM »
I agree with the 50/50 strategy.  Each course is unique (and excellent, of course) and both have their strengths, weaknesses and subtleties that require multiple play to begin to understand.

PS--these $200+ (and climbing) green fee stories make me sad and nostalgic about the earliest threads about Bandon when it was portrayed as some sort of philanthropic venture whereby the owners were going to keep fees low, give something back to the game, yadda, yadda.  Well, they certainly did the latter, but the former?

THuckaby2

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2003, 10:34:51 AM »
No hassles, Doug.  'Tis just my humble opinion also!

Make no mistake about it either - flights from SFO through Portland then on to N. Bend are pretty darn cheap and easy through Alaska Air.  This genie is not going back in the bottle.

TH

Doug Wright

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2003, 10:49:53 AM »
TH,

That North Bend flight on a puddle jumper is not my cup 'o tea--hence the 4 hour drive from PDX to Bandon.

BTW, on check-in at the resort they now give you this VERY cool screensaver CD with 40 terrific course photos. It's on my computer now and a bit distracting/tends to induce daydreaming etc.  ;) It's FREE, but guess that's why they up the greens fees to cover the higher overhead...

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

THuckaby2

« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2003, 10:53:49 AM »
Doug - again to each his own.  Getting on the puddle-jumper made it possible to leave SJC at 7 and be on the first tee on PD at 2, as opposed to waiting till the next day to play.  For this golf addict that was a no-brainer!

The price increases do have me a bit bummed... they may just have priced themselves out of my doable range.  Oh well, at least I've been there once.

TH

Raymond (Or.)

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2003, 11:49:41 AM »
I was fortunate enough to play Bandon on it's inaugural and have played it quite a few times since. When Pacific opened I couldn't wait to get there again. We spent two days playing only Pacific and I loved every minute. However on the way home I felt somewhat disappointed I hadn't played Bandon. Since then I make it a point to do both courses equally on each trip. Somehow Pacific made me appreciate Bandon even more. If I could only play one I would choose Pacific but wouldn't be disappointed if they shuffled me over to Bandon.
How great will it be if we also get a C&C course at Bandon. Considering the competition already there I have no doubt they would give this their full attention. I can't think of three better courses at one resort/golf destination. Maybe Pebble- Cypress- Spyglass but since Cypress is unaccessible to the mere mortals it really doesn't count in my book.

God Bless Shoe- hurry back!

Dan Grossman

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2003, 02:34:10 PM »
I'm not sure if anyone addressed Doug's original question about what they did with #18 at Bandon Dunes.  As far as I could tell when I was there (less than a month ago), they moved the fairway to the left.  I assume this is to keep people out of the trash on the right side of the hole, thus speeding up play.  The 3 pot bunkers that are now on the right side of the fairway between the 1st and 2nd shot on the hole, are all new as well.  You can tell where the old fairway used to be by looking for the sprinkers heads over in the rough on the right side.  The aiming point for the 2nd shot is now the middle to left side of the lodge.  It used to be the right side.

Shoe must have had his heart attack in late January.  I was there over MLK Jr weekend and he was fine.  I am glad that he is recovering appropriately.

DFG

Wayne Freedman

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2003, 02:37:11 PM »
I had lunch with the G.M. there last summer.

He says they have long term plans for as many as three more courses.

It'll be hard to top what they've already done. When you arrive at the first green of Bandon Dunes, it's as if you're looking at a Tyrannasauris Rex.

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2003, 12:31:26 AM »
I just got back tonight from Bandon.  What a great couple of days.  Paired up with three great fellers for 2 rounds on BD and 2 rounds at PD.  One was a first timer there for his 50th birthday.  He was quite enamored with the whole place.  Nice to see.  The other two were there for four days of 36 to 45 hole daily death marches.  Man, they had some golf travel stories to tell.  Great times with great folks.    
  16 on BD has now, effectively,  three fairways. The view is still close to the same from the tees but the upper extension is generous.  A small dune island separates them.
  Took the trail heading into the woodlands.  Some interesting stuff.  
   Stan, the yurts were great!   I got a little too spirited at Mulligans on last evening so stayed one extra night but I just slept in truck.  
   Weather was awesome.  Good night y'all.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2003, 06:49:15 AM »
Slag,

What condition are the courses in these days?  Did you hear any rumors about the upcoming third course on the property?

THuckaby2

« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2003, 07:41:18 AM »

16 on BD has now, effectively,  three fairways. The view is still close to the same from the tees but the upper extension is generous.  A small dune island separates them.

Slag - from what I can tell from this description, that would seem to me to "fix" all the issues I had with this hole, which you may recall from our previous discussions... giving some room for the ball to actually stop in a good place on the upper level... Care to elaborate more?  I really do enjoy your take on all this....

TH

John Bernhardt

« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2003, 08:36:47 AM »
Slag, Please elaborate on 16. I am very curious about it for I felt 16 was the one really bad hole on the course. I would love for you to tell me they have a 2 nd fairway on 17 ro make the hole longer but  create a risk reward aspect to the other bad hole in the summer wind.

John Bernhardt

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2003, 09:01:34 AM »
The green fees at Bandon are $160 if you are onsite. $200 if you stay offsite during high season. A 2nd round is $80.00. Therefore if one is wise enough to play BD/BD or PD/PD, it is 120 a round.

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2003, 11:05:43 AM »
  Gents,  16 BD was never a bad hole IMO but the change, giving more options, is welcome to those who won't let go of their driver.  Now you can clobber the hell out of your drive with the big stick and, if the ball doesn't go into that island dune rough dividing the upper two fairways, you've got a shot from the short grass.  On my second round I went to the back fairway down left and punched a blind 8 iron about 110 yards to the front of the green.  My first par ever on that hole.  So, there is still the possibility of a blind shot from that new extension but at least we're not searching for a ball.  I didn't pace it but from memory I'd say they've added 50 yards of fairway turf; reducing that the closer to the green.   And, still, the best club may not be the driver just to clear that sand wall because there's still the risk of that little dune island hazard.
   I like 17 BD...very much. The green design is superb and the fairway requires more accuracy than length,(and maybe a little luck around those hooded bunkers in the left distant fairway) I don't see any weakness here.  The views are my favorite on the course overlookingthe crashing ocean and the virgin duneland to the south.  (#3 tees pretty grand also on a sunny morning with the gorse bloomage exploding.)
   18 seems like it's been reduced in rough area and they took out that little "angry man and a niblick" bunker (it even had a shortened rake in it) short right off the tee.  It's not a great hole but it suffers from our own sadness at the end of a round.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2003, 11:20:57 AM »
Greens fees this past week were $70 and $35 for repeat of same course on same day.  (So,$52.50 per round.) The skies were sunny the whole time although we had a frost delay for about an hour at PD on 2nd day.  No big deal.  Oddly, only 7 people replayed that day.  I couldn't hardly believe it.  In the afternoon we were almost the only people on the course - in 60 degree sunny weather.  It was Heaven.  Wind was light, sometimes dead calm and sometimes moderate, starting from east, inland (never seen that before) then switching to coming from the northeast.    

No real news to tell further of what's been said about the new course inland south but that that 18 is in the plans and then 27 more holes northeast.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2003, 11:28:26 AM »
Slag - thanks for the elaboration re 16.  Please believe me though, I am most definitely NOT one of those who "can't let go of their driver" - I hit a damn 2iron through the fairway, across the upper level, and into the "stuff" short left of the green in a decent summer wind as the hole was before... my complaint before was that no club that was enough to clear the "cliff" would then stay on the top ledge, not in anywhere where you had a decent 2nd anyway.  And don't even think about trying for lower ledge... that's even smaller, ball wouldn't stay there either.  I guess really long hitters could hit a high 5 iron or something that would stay on the upper ledge, downwind... But for normal hitters like me, it wasn't driver finding nowhere to land.

If they've improved that, and even added more options, then it sounds to me like we now have a winner of a golf hole.

TH

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2003, 11:42:53 AM »
JimmyVA,  The conditions are ripe for ecstasy.  Hard and fast and the courses are maturing nicely.  The sand wall on 16 is actually getting scrubby; perhaps not as bold as before but gracefully natural. The bunkers on 15 PD look much better this year (although I didn't get in them to really do the Emperor examination).  

It would be a great warmup for you before you go to Ireland this summer.  

John Bernhardt

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2003, 12:19:17 PM »
Slag, I too hit a 5 wood through the fairway and almost to 17 tee. I have hit a 3 wood onto 17 tee. the wind direction is huge on this hole. I hit a 5 or 4 iron to run up to neck of the blind shot area. there was nothing in my bag to hold the upper fairway so hitting at the green makes the most sense and then the people on 17 tee are at risk. Oh And I am not long off the tee by any stretch of the immagination. On 17 I hit a low drawing 3 wood to keep it on the course. The summer wind from the north is real tough on these two holes. I am looking forward to playing the holes again with differnet winds. I got the reverse once and both holes are much more playable

THuckaby2

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2003, 12:28:49 PM »
Well said, JB.  Just as when we discussed this before, I had the same issues you did with this hole.  I've never played it in the winter wind... I can imagine making the top level at all becomes very problematic if it it's too strong.

Do the holes at Bandon have names?  I couldn't remember.  If not, 16 ought to be Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don't.

But it does seem like this has been "fixed"... more area to the left is what would do it.... sounds like that's been provided.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back