News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Levett

Re:Top 50 British Isles courses since 1945
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2004, 07:43:05 AM »
A second links opened last year at Rosapenna, started by Eddie Hackett, completed by Pat Ruddy. Apparently it ventures further into the dunes than Old Tom's original.

That's all I know but if Rosapenna does make it into the top 50 it can't be at the expense of Newmachar. Why? Well, googling around for information on a course unfamiliar to me I came across a quote from Peter Alliss at the top of the home page saying it is "destined to become one of the top five inland courses in Britain".  Scrolling further down I discovered the designers were Dave Thomas and, er,  Peter Alliss.

Sean_A

Re: Top 50 British Isles courses since 1945
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2023, 12:52:27 AM »
I note Mark never got around to updating the list. Of course there are many courses that have been built since this ancient thread.

Someone rightly mentioned West Saunton is a modern course. It is my understanding that the same is true of West Lancs. I wonder if Hillside can be considered modern?

In any case, I reckon an interesting top 50 could be devised.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Challenger

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2023, 07:12:41 AM »
Going on a golf trip to the south-west region of Ireland and we're mostly playing courses built since 1945 including Waterville, Old Head, Doonbeg, and Hogshead. Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 08:00:04 AM by John Challenger »

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2023, 12:13:14 PM »
You could add quite a few contenders from north of the border to the list;

Castle Stuart
Mach Dunes
Renaissance
Ardfin
Archerfield (x2)
Dumbarnie
Machrie ?
Mar Hall
Balfron
Askernish
Buddon

Not saying they would all be on the list but a few there that I think would be on most folks list.

Niall

Martin Toal

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 12:49:08 PM »
Going on a golf trip to the south-west region of Ireland and we're mostly playing courses built since 1945 including Waterville, Old Head, Doonbeg, and Hogshead. Any thoughts?

Waterville is terrific. Tralee needs to be on the list too. I am personally not a fan of Old Head because it is not really an authentic Irish club, designed for visiting Americans. But you may be a visiting American, so that's all right then. Likewise I have an issue with Doonbeg's current ownership. Ballybunion, Lahinch etc are great, and Dooks is a very pretty course too. If you were willing to go a bit out of the normal route, Cork Golf Club (aka Little Island) is a course Alister MacKenzie worked on, about 60 miles from Killarney, about 2 hours from Ballybunion. [size=78%]https://www.corkgolfclub.ie/[/size] You can stop in Kinsale for some great food on the way back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back