News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A.G._Crockett

Ode to a Golf Trip
« on: March 04, 2004, 05:01:12 AM »
So its 4:45 a.m., and I'm drinking coffee to get fully awake.  The van is gassed and loaded, and in an hour, I'll be picking up two buddies for a yearly golf trip.

I've worked with these guys for almost 25 years, and they are as good a friends as any man ever had.  There was a fourth to the group, but he died of cancer about 8 yrs. ago, and we still think about it all the time, especially right now.

The trip is to a Georgia high school coaches' convention at Jekyll Island, and we'll play on all three of the 18 hole courses there, one by Joe Lee, one by Dick Wilson, and a brilliant renovation by Clyde Johnston of another Dick Wilson course.  (There's a nine-holer on the island that dates back to the Rockefellers and Goodyears, et. al., when Jekyll was their private playground, and it is a truly funky little thing.)

On the way down we always play somewhere, and this year its Cuscowilla at 9:40 this morning, and I'm stoked!  On the way back on Sunday, we'll play at the Savannah Westin, a well-regarded Bob Cupp design that I'm anxious to see.

The golf is great, but the trip is the thing.  We organize our year around it, at least mentally, and have been for over a decade.  By now, we can tell stories of past trips for the entire drive down, and we spend the weekend with old friends, opponents, and colleagues that we rarely or never get to see anywhere else.  It is a beautiful thing in all of our lives, and it is part of what makes golf so special.

I hope you have similar friends in your life, and a similar trip with them in your year.  If you do, take a moment and tell the treehouse about it.

Thanks for listening.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Jfaspen

Re:Ode to a Golf Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 08:37:44 AM »
My only spring break during college was down to Myrtle Beach with 3 buddies.  Stayed at litchfield and played 4 rounds of golf.  Drove down from Michigan.  Great time..  People were confused because we were not going to cancun or other popular break destinations..  Still, it was the best time we could have had.

Went back by myself for fall break this past year and stayed with a friend down there.  Played a lot of golf..  You are right, there is something to the anticipation of looking for photos of the courses on the web, reading the reviews, getting travel plans set, ect.  

Hope you have a great trip :)

Jeff

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 08:41:48 AM »
A.G.

I hope you have a great trip, I have to admit I'm a little envious of you.

This Saturday, I fly to Portland for my biennial attendance at the PGA/USGA Rules Workshop.  After the class is over, I'll be playing a couple of rounds of golf with my old golfing buddies at my old home course of Pumpkin Ridge.  These are guys I played golf with almost every Saturday and Sunday for 8 years.  Of all the things I miss about Portland now that I live in Pittsburgh, playing golf with these guys is the thing I miss most.

We would tee off before 8AM and play very competitive rounds of golf while talking about important things like baseball, women and life as we walked the fairways.  The ribbing of each other was also an important part of the day.  Afterwards, we would go in the mens bar and have our lemonades or diet cokes and a few baskets of popcorn and abuse the various announcers on TV as we watched the golf or football or whatever was on.  The guys at my new club seem nice enough, but I haven't made that close connection with any group of guys yet.  Probably because I'm the only one who walks in my group most weeks.  Somehow carts don't lend themselves to that type of interaction.

We still have e-mail, but it isn't the same as spending those hours together.

John Foley

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 08:57:30 AM »
AG,

Great story & ENJOY!!!

About 10 years ago a very close friend was getting married and we decided to throw a bachelor/golf trip together for him. We drove to the Pocono's (not the greatest location for a golf trip, but it was convient for everyone) and 6 of us met up. Since then it's been somewhere every year. Back to the Pocono's, Orlando, Jax and Hilton Head. The locations are nice. The courses are some very good and some very bad. But that doesn't matter. It's the comraderie that makes it. Those who do it, understand what a connection it is and how much the annual event takes on a life of it's own. I could not golf all year long, but as long as I got to go and play on that weekend, it would be fine w/ me. Well maybe...

Like you, one of our core members passed away 2 years ago. 40 years old, 4 kids, spectacular family, amazing career and a wonderful friend. Everyone he touched left better because of his freindship. We miss him tremendously and it is very difficult for him to not be around. The year he died we did not go, it was just too hard.

We usually do our trip the 3rd weekend in October. One of the guys said at last years trip, set aside this weekend for the rest of your life. We all hope that we get many many more places to go.

BTW - He had an amazing golf game!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Andy Hughes

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 09:06:02 AM »
AG
We do the same thing, each Spring.  We have made the Spring trip each year for *gulp* 15 years (has it really been that long since college?). The trip used to be 18 fraternity brothers, now whittled down to 10 or so each year. For many years, it was Myrtle Beach, then Hilton Head for 3 years, and this year Pinehurst (with the advice of everyone's favorite tour guide, Mr Gracely).  I was looking at some pictures from years ago--those were some young guys with very flat bellies and lots of hair that made those first trips!
Coincidentally, I considered taking the trip to Jekyll Island this year; perhaps you can let us know how the courses were?
Have fun!
Andy
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

SPDB

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 09:15:14 AM »
Living in NYC following college, every wknd used to seem like a "golf trip." We used to stretch the mileage to get to play, e.g. regularly making wknd trips to Merion to play 36.
As my friend said to his wife one early saturday as we were leaving to go play.

"Going to play golf...I'll see you in 16 hours!"

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 09:18:33 AM »
Living in NYC following college, every wknd used to seem like a "golf trip." We used to stretch the mileage to get to play, e.g. regularly making wknd trips to Merion to play 36.

Ah yes....those post-college days.  Living in your first apartment.  Working long hours for small pay.  And slumming it down at Merion on the weekends  ;)  

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 09:51:44 AM »
Brian,

Aren't you the one who snuck onto Oakland Hills in your younger days?   Irony is not lost on me.   ;D

(I know it was the North course, but still.....)   ;)

ForkaB

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 09:55:41 AM »
Great stuff, AG

My similar memories are more varied and more fleeting, but in their own way, just as poignant as yours, at least to me.

Enjoy.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 09:57:05 AM »
Scott,

Jumping the fence and playing just the holes that don't go near the clubhouse and playing 36 is a little bit different, isn't it?  Oh yeah, and we almost always played the last few holes in complete darkness, since we had to wait for the last few members to clear the course before we made the leap.....

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 10:00:03 AM »
Something must be in the water, but I concur completely with what Rich just said.  I too have a lot of memories in this area, some far too fresh for a 40 year old with two kids.   ;)  But to me THIS is what golf is all about, not courses or architecture or anything of the sort.  It's the playing of the game and sharing it with friends, at times like this.  

Enjoy.

Hell yes, enjoy.

How can you not?

TH

Jfaspen

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 10:02:32 AM »
Scott,

Jumping the fence and playing just the holes that don't go near the clubhouse and playing 36 is a little bit different, isn't it?  Oh yeah, and we almost always played the last few holes in complete darkness, since we had to wait for the last few members to clear the course before we made the leap.....

I sneak onto brookwood (9 hole residential private course) near my home in Rochester, MI, and often though about Oakland Hills.  But decided that the trespassing ticket I would get did not warrant the try.  I swear, if I was just a bit more adventurous.

Jeff

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 10:26:06 AM »
Ah, but Brian, sneaking on and playing illegally adds to the experience, especially as a teenager!  Getting on legit at Merion is so bourgeois....ah, who am I kidding!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back