News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas_Brown

Flash flood closes Rustic Canyon
« on: March 02, 2004, 12:29:40 PM »
Any info out there on how bad it was?
I heard the course is back open tomorrow.

Tom

Forrest Richardson

Re:Flash flood closes Rustic Canyon
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:41:01 PM »
Is this true!? I'm working with the same civil engineer who did the work at Rustic. I'd love to know if the course was protected...about any damage, etc.

Geoff...are you there? Tommy?
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

JohnV

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 02:43:00 PM »
I just read the following on the LA Times website:

Rustic Canyon Golf Course in Moorpark sustained significant damage to its seventh fairway during the recent heavy rains and the hole temporarily will play as a par three. Assistant pro Dave Tucker said it would take about six weeks to repair.

FREEMAHC

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 02:51:27 PM »
as a civil engineer myself, I am very interested to know what happened. Any further info would be appreciated.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 03:18:34 PM »
I just read the following on the LA Times website:

Rustic Canyon Golf Course in Moorpark sustained significant damage to its seventh fairway during the recent heavy rains and the hole temporarily will play as a par three. Assistant pro Dave Tucker said it would take about six weeks to repair.

First thought was "damn, that sucks, I love the choices one has to make on that tee shot on 7, that's gonna be a drag when we play it in a few weeks."

Second thought is "cool, that's gonna make this like Pacific Dunes' back nine in weirdness... 4-6-7-8 all par threes... whoa...."

;D

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 03:22:58 PM »

I hope all the raters that will play the course at the outing will not hold this against the course.  I remember not hearing good things about the clubhouse, or the range, or the off property homes.

THuckaby2

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 03:27:07 PM »
I don't think you'll have to worry about that, Hammy.  From what I can tell from the signup list, nearly all of the raters and other players attending TKPIII have seen the course already, and those that haven't I feel very confident have the intelligence to view a hole as it is supposed to be, particularly since they will be walking right past it.  Besides, this is not a rater's event, it's just a group of friends getting together to play golf.

TH
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 03:36:45 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Matt_Ward

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 03:46:49 PM »
Huck said,

"Besides, this is not a rater's event, it's just a group of friends getting together to play golf."

That's what Ceasar thought too before he was done in by his "friends." ;D

THuckaby2

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 03:48:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Et tu, Matt-ay?

TH

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 04:01:48 PM »
Was this just a conspiracy by the folks at Golfweek to make sure that Rustic Canyon nevers gets into the Top 100?  It just seems overly coincidental that this flooding occured just before the KPIII outing.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 04:03:15 PM »
Was this just a conspiracy by the folks at Golfweek to make sure that Rustic Canyon nevers gets into the Top 100?  It just seems overly coincidental that this flooding occured just before the KPIII outing.  

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh man, that got audible yuks and still is.. I can barely type... well done, BG.

SL_Solow

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 04:21:19 PM »
Unfortunately, I cannot attend the event.  However I was able to play the course on Feb 1 with some of our GCA friends.  They pointed out that much of the vegetation on the surrounding hillsides had been destroyed by the recent fires and had not had time to regenerate.  They expressed the concern that early heavy rains might result in floods which would not occur if the hillsides were vegetated.  As I am not a civil engineer but merely an attorney with a modicum of civility, I cannot comment on the engineering but I thought this might be relevant to some of the questions which have been posed.  I found the course to be very interesting, and a great deal of fun.  It seemed to be one that I would not tire of and the green complexes created enough difficulty for those who cherish resistance to scoring.  For KPIII participants' sake, I hope it has dried up so that the course will play firm and fast when you are there.

THuckaby2

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 04:25:39 PM »
Shel - thanks for the report.  My take on the course just about exactly echoes yours, from playing it awhile back.  I too hope it's firm and fast in a few weeks, because under those conditions it would have to be the most fun to play,  but if it's not, that won't matter too much.  I can't imagine not having fun with these people on that course.

TH

JakaB

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2004, 04:27:03 PM »
Huck,

With resident architect Tommy and Geoff so desperately wanting those two 7.0 ratings it will take to get Rustic from 108 into the top 100 how difficult would it be to find a tee near the 8th green for this outing.   Or even a mat to hit from where the old tee used to exist.   Do you see where a new 7th tee might be built so we can get this course the cred it deserves..

THuckaby2

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2004, 04:38:23 PM »
JakaB:

That sure as hell ain't for me to say, nor do I care to speculate on any of this, not to mention the fact that accusing people of things like that surely isn't my bag.  In any case, yes I am one of the more naive people on this planet, but I for one am sure as hell treating this gathering as just that, a gathering.  We're gonna play golf on a very fun course.  If it is to be more than that, well... I won't be paying attention.  I'll be having far too much fun playing golf with friends.

But hell, if anyone was to arrange specially for us to play the real 7th tee or somewhere near it, I'd say THANKS.  That is one hell of a fun tee shot.

TH

JakaB

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2004, 04:49:53 PM »
Huck,

I didn't mean to accuse anybody of anything...I just know that when people are motivated more difficult things than building a temporary tee can be done.  It was on another thread but somebody once said Rustic doesn't get the chance to tweak their course like privates do...with a six week downtime this seems to be the perfect chance to maybe add that extra ten yards some raters think number 7 needs.  

THuckaby2

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2004, 04:59:41 PM »
JakaB:

Fair enough.  I just continue to be naive enough to think this is just a gathering, not worth going to that kind of trouble for.  But taking your thoughts at face value, on a very practical side, remember the GW votes have been cast, and if they were to get some positive swing out of this, it won't take effect until the next time GW does rankings, which I think is two years... that's a lot of trouble to go for to sway a few votes for something two full years off.  I suppose they could do so now in an effort to sway GD and GM raters, but from my look at the list of participants that comprises one, maybe two people, one of which is ME!  And my rating for Rustic is already on the books also, and it's tougher to get much higher than what I gave anyway.

Like I say, if this happens, I'll say thanks.  As would the general public, because that means the work is being done faster to get it back to normal for them (I think).  And if it means a new tee 10 yards back on 7, well.. I'm one who doesn't think the hole needs that and if anything would weaken it, but what the hell, if they want to do that, great.

You know what also?  I'm picturing the area in my mind, and I am far from an expert, working off memory from quite awhile ago, but I don't think there's anywhere they CAN go back on 7... they can't go back of the current tee - it's up against the hillside.  They wouldn't want to go any other angle, that would be silly and take away the carry over the wash that makes the hole so great as is...

TH

JakaB

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2004, 05:06:17 PM »
Huck,

If Golfweek has gone to a two year rating cycle that is a good thing...but do you mean to tell me that one of the great modern architectural feats of my lifetime...born in 1960 totally modern man...did not take the classical approach of elasticity into consideration.   An elastic design is truly difficult to achieve and should always garner praise...bet enough of that...I better start that thread on the USGA being asleep at the wheel before it is too late.

THuckaby2

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2004, 05:24:17 PM »
I guess I have fallen into a trap.   ;D  And I am just guessing about how GW does ratings - I don't know for sure - but that does seem right to me.

I am also far from expert enough on this course to guess if it allows for elasticity.  From what I recall #7 is as long as it's ever going to get, but I could be wrong.

In any case whatever the hell they do with the course, I'm just glad we have the tee times and are gonna get to play it 3-4 times in a few weeks.

TH

JakaB

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2004, 05:27:51 PM »
Huck,

I'm sorry to have gotten you a trap....it would seem to me though that if a course improves itself you would have been inclined to say I couldn't rate it much lower...than saying you couldn't rate it much higher.   Is there a glass ceiling at Rustic...because I would think that could be hell in a California sun.

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2004, 05:38:57 PM »
Interesting, at Barona Creek where wild fires also burned all the vegatation on the surrounding hillsides, extensive measures where undertaken to prevent this sort of thing. Seemingly miles of gaint spaghetti-like straw barriers were staked at the perimeter of the course to  divert the inevitable river of sand which was going to come washing down the hillsides at the first hint of rain. Where any preventative measures taken at Rustic Canyon? I don't know how much the Barona Tribe invested, but it seemed like a fair chunk of change was spent.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Joe Hancock

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2004, 05:52:00 PM »

For example, with Pete L. in the foreground.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Todd_Eckenrode

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2004, 05:53:52 PM »
I don't know how much either, but it was significant.  They put up a lot of "wattle", and even graded out some minor detention/diversion swales to protect the holes that lay on the upper slopes.  All of this has helped, no doubt.  Haven't heard how they fared on the last couple bigger storms, though.  Enough nature would surely prove their measures insignificant.  There's only so much you can do.

Brian Noser

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2004, 06:27:48 PM »
I am playing the course on Sat. I am interested to know how much damage was done. I do think they could go back further on hole seven but as somone said earlier why? it force a lay up and what fun would that be? I like the option of being able to go across the wash. Risk reward for a better angle. That is options there was a huge thread about this so I am not going to start about the options again.

Joe Perches

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2004, 07:07:18 PM »
I played Rustic today.

It is not in very poor condition, but it is not in good condition either.
No teeboxes, greens or green aprons are damaged.
7 fairway is really damaged though.
Some of the bunkers are unplayable.  Still have standing water in a few.  They are being cleared and should be fine in a week or so.

#1 through 4 are normal, a small bit of sand on 1 and 2 fairway.
#5 right side driving area has had sand and debris scraped off.  The wash crossing did get a lot of water and a walking only crossover plank bridge is washed out.  Not too bad.
#6 has a new trap near the left of the green, sand debris was scraped and mounded in the wash left.  My partner plugged there.
#7 short fairway is gone.  It's under 18 inches of sand.  The tee box is fine.  The long straws made of straw did keep the hillside in place next to the tee box, but the hillside next to the short fairway did not have straw wattles, so naturally, that's where the hillside collapsed.  It's covered.  At least, more people can now see how easy the hole plays if you can carry the tee shot to the right fairway.
#8-11 are fine, but 10 has some additional sand at ~300 out and 11 had the walking plank bridge from the back tee washed out.
12 and 13 are sandy.  The groundskeepers now seem to be pretending to be working in the infield at Dodger Stadium.  The fairways are being dragged.  The sand and dirt washed on to the fairways is being is being blown up into the air.  It was breezy enough today to carry away.
14 through 17 are just fine, but for some reason the back tees on 14 were not being played.  Looked OK though.
18 has some more sand along the cartpath and left along the practice range, but it's not really in play, so it's just fine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back