News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: What is going on with Inniscrone in PA?
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2003, 08:27:35 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

I think you've expressed my thoughts adequately.

But, my view of the golf course, and individual holes, like yours, may differ greatly from the majority of raters.

I too was particularly taken with # 16, however, I can see where raters might:

A.  Be confused,
B   Not understand it
C   Feel it is too severe
D   Feel it is too blind
E   Feel it is gimmickie
F   All of the above.

# 5 is another hole that the raters might not like, especially the trek back to # 6 tee.

But, I believe that it is the substantial number of forced carries that the raters take exception to.
And, many golfer's memory banks dwell on their bad holes, the difficult holes rather than the unique or exceptional holes, and therein lies the part of the problem.

As I said before, Gil inherited a difficult piece of property and routing, and made the very best of it.

Roger Murdoch,

I believe that raters look at far more than the golf course, and that certain features or services can set the tone for the day, or end the day on a sour or positive note.

I think some forced carries are once again the culprit at Applebrook.   # 14 from the back tees takes one hell of a tee shot, and if the wind is in your face, clearing the enviro area may be impossible.  Following # 14 are the carries at # 15,
# 16, and # 17, one of the most difficult finishes you'll find anywhere.  When you combine that rugged finish, with the site of the condos on # 16, #17, and # 18, that impression is the last of the day for the rater, a rather overwhelming combination, and that is why I think the golf course doesn't get the credit it deserves  

Like # 16 at Innescrone, # 3 at Applebrook may suffer from the same lack of understanding.

I also think that Applebrook is a STRONG test, and the humbling experience of playing it may not sit well with most of the raters.

But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:02 PM by -1 »

Eric Pevoto

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2003, 08:55:07 AM »
It's been a while since I've been to Inniscrone, but I'm having a hard time coming up with more than a handful of forced carries:

Off the tee- 8, 11, 18

To the green-10, 17

Are there others I've forgotten?  How many is too many?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
There's no home cooking these days.  It's all microwave.Bill Kittleman

Golf doesn't work for those that don't know what golf can be...Mike Nuzzo

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2003, 11:21:26 AM »
Pat:

I can't imagine why anyone would have a problem with #3 Applebrook regarding understanding unless they don't understand multi-optionalism and demand one dimensionalism. The multi-options on #3 Applebrook are some of the most widly varied and interesting I've seen in a long time. It would be a great match play #16 or #17!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back