News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ken_Cotner

GCA and the Pizza Man! The Silent Majority?
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2001, 03:35:00 PM »
First, and most important, to Lisa (and John):  I wish you all the best during your pregnancy.  The parenthood journey on which you are about to embark is wondrous.  Nothing (including a hole-in-one at NGLA) comes close.

My $.02 on the "everyone post" debate:  Gib, I know you say you are not discouraging anyone from posting, but what I "hear" is "Don't post".  As a mostly-lurker who does far more learning than contributing, I think lurkers should be encouraged to post.  Honest questions can produce really good threads.

Now, I will try to figure out a question which will stimulate some good discussion!  

KC

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2001, 03:39:00 PM »
Ken,
I cannot help it if you are determined to read some underlying motive.

Quit "hearing" and start taking my words at face value!!!!!

Ken_Cotner

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2001, 03:56:00 PM »
Gib,

I wasn't very clear -- I'm sure based on your comments that you are not intentionally discouraging anyone from posting, nor do I sense you have any underlying motive.  And the actual words you use support that.  But... I can see where lurkers could be more reticent about posting.

The parallel situation which comes to mind for me happened several years ago when I was a fairly competitive runner, and trained with a close-knit group of friends.  Others would join us occasionally, but more than a few didn't return.  The newer folks who stuck it out told us that they felt intimidated and not necessarily welcome, even though we "said" the right things.  We were flabbergasted, but enlightened.  Perception is reality.

Sorry for the long post (obviously and maybe unfortunately, I'm not intimidated!).  I personally think it is kind of a minor issue since new folks post fairly regularly.  Keep the good stuff coming!

KC

TEPaul

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2001, 04:05:00 PM »
Rich Goodale:

You were surprisingly sober? Yeah, right!

You've got to cut out on "kid's night" at the San Francisco Zoo and hanging around all those under 8 year olds and all the excessive drinking you and the kids are doing or you're going to hurt your liver pal!

They're younger than you are and with all those little high metabolisms they can take it and you can't! Cut it out!

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:GCA and the Pizza Man! The Silent Majority?
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2005, 01:15:03 AM »
Here is the famous Pizza Man thread.

I wish that guy well.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 01:18:54 AM by Tommy_Naccarato »

Ed_Baker

« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2005, 08:55:53 AM »
Hard to believe that thread was almost 4 years ago.

Pizzaman became a good friend and I had the pleasure of playing golf with him dozens of times over the next few years.
He loved Whitinsville a great 9 hole Ross track.

The world lost a good man in October of 2003.

He never could bring himself to post, but remained a regular lurker.

I persistently kept asking him to post until during a round at Mt. Pleasant in Boylston Ma. he turned to me and said, " you know Eddie, if I post under my real name I'll embarrass myself because I can't write like I think, if I post under Pizzaman then I'll never live up to the myth." With that he walked to his ball and said, "Did you ever notice how a lot of Ross cross bunkers are a longer carry to clear on the slice side?"

I hope he's playing all the Ross courses now and hitting soft draws.  I miss him.

Mike_Sweeney

« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2005, 10:27:26 AM »
Ed,

That is a nice story.

Thanks

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2005, 12:13:32 PM »
Ed,
How and when did he pass? Why does it always have to be the good guys? The REALLY good ones.

The descriptions of him alone are good enough for me. I would have surely liked to have met and golfed with him.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2005, 01:43:52 PM »
Tommy,

Complications from diabetes, he was 71. He was already starting to lose the feel in his hands and feet from neuropathy.
When we played in the fall, he would carry one of those butane hand warmers with him, "helped his putting" he said.

Interestingly enough he took the Pizza job to fill his evenings after his wife had passed only 6 months after he had retired or I never would have met him. He was a career fire fighter and one of those "salt of the earth" instantly likeable people that are oh so rare. He was so sincere and self effacing that it took quite awhile to figure out that he really wasn't putting you on, yet he still had a good sense of humor.

I took him to Myopia once and we parked in that little upper lot by the stables. He took one look at the horses being groomed and led out for exercise, the stately old clubhouse, and he wouldn't get out of the car until I produced our host who assured him that he was indeed a legitimate guest for the day. Some where on the front nine we saw one of the grounds crew guys driving one of those utility carts and I looked at him and said, " Oh Jesus, we're in trouble now, here comes the superintendent to throw us out!" Well, he turned white and started dancing around like a boxer ducking hooks, he didn't know which way to go, I thought our host was going to get a hernia he laughed so hard. It was hilarious, and after he calmed down he laughed right along with us, just a great guy. He loved the stories about Leeds putting the bed sheets down to add bunkers to the landing areas after the early opens up there.

I met a lot of his friends too, and they eventually let me fill in if they had a no show on Tuesday nights, I was honored, and had an absolute blast every time.

Brian_Gracely

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2005, 03:52:07 PM »
Having caddied at private courses and jumped several fences in my day, I can tell you that it's not an uncommon feeling to think that legitimate invitations to private clubs may not pan out as soon as a "club official" sees you out on the grounds.  I recall telling a member of my foursome at CPC that I hope we don't get kicked off anytime soon because I was having so much fun. I had that concern for at least the first six holes.

Ed, it's a very nice thing you did for him and I'm sure he was greatful beyond any words he could have expressed.  

As a "pizza man" myself, let me say thanks to all the Ed's out there that take us under their wing and allow us to be exposed  to places we never could have dreamed of.

...and the best part of this whole story, to me, is that Ed's experience is similar to the way that I've met many of the most interest characters in golf.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2005, 03:52:52 PM by Brian_Gracely »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2005, 04:16:33 PM »
It really gives renewed understanding of old Harvey Pennick's statement:  "If you play golf, you are my friend..."
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2005, 04:19:14 PM »
Great words Brian.

Ed,
Boy do I wish I could have met the guy. He should be celebrated on GCA with an In My Opinion piece. I truely do think that.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2005, 07:57:11 PM »
Thanx to Tommy for bringing this back.

Ed- That was absolutely the most spiritual series of events I've read on this site.

Thank you for sharing and the follow-up. Sincerely.

Do we know where the hat is? Worthy of submission into a new form of collection. GCA hall of Fame.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2005, 12:07:41 AM »
I think this thread needs to be bumped every few months for the newbies...

:)

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2005, 10:11:25 AM »
Kyle,

Thanks for bringing this back up... I missed it the last time it was brought up in April.

What a wonderful story... we should all keep this story in mind as new pizza men wander on this site.  Sometimes it is so easy to forget how difficult it is to go out on a limb and make your first post here but we all need to keep that in mind.

The only way this board will continue to realize Ran's vision is if we get an influx of new opinions and ideas wandering in the door.

George Pazin

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2005, 10:44:37 AM »
Until Ed posted the new information last April, I still thought it was a setup by one of his friends.

Thanks for the follow up stories, Ed, they are quite special, as I'm sure the memories you have are as well. One of the best things about golf to me is the friendships that can develop out of it.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #66 on: July 05, 2006, 03:41:34 PM »
"Pizzaman,
Please do not let the education of the east coasters intimidate you as everyone knows...Education is the crutch of the unreligious..."

That line is from the first page in July 2001 by BarnyF. I don't know if that's an original line or not but I've just got to do something with "Education is the crutch of the unreligous". That one's hilarious enough to go down in the history books.

Ed_Baker

« Reply #67 on: July 05, 2006, 04:08:27 PM »
Thomas Edward,

Only a true patrician agnostic such as yourself could muster the eloquence to "do something" with Mr. Kavanaugh's incredible line. Perhaps Barney himself, might expand on it for all of us.

Tim Taylor

« Reply #68 on: July 05, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »
Ed,

Yes, sometimes. I remember just being dumbfounded that certain people on this site had played so many of the top private courses. Then Huckaby clued me in!

But I go ahead and post anyways :) After all, it's just a discussion group. I'd rather ask a dumb question. Typically 10 people will try to be helpful for every one who says "that's a stupid question".

I would encourage newbies to spend time reading the course reviews, interviews and *especially* to search the archives.

I remember when I started reading GCA. I would start reading a thread and see a term I didn't know (redan, eden, line of charm) and off I would go to the archives where I would get lost for hours.

Tim

Are we that intimidating or elitest in our presentations? I'll bet there are a lot more "Pizza Men" out there that share our passion,but are timid to post. Why is That?<P>

TEPaul

« Reply #69 on: July 05, 2006, 04:39:22 PM »
Eddie Baby:

Don't you just love that line? I tell you what---I've pretty much prefected the art of sitting on my ass and doing nothing remotely constructive, so what the hell, maybe I can get some good old fashioned born again bible pounding religion too so I can just stop thinking altogether too.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #70 on: July 05, 2006, 05:00:38 PM »
Ed,
I can only hope he was smiling down from heaven the night the Sox won.

(Surmizing he was in all likelyhood, a Sox fan. You don't get to be like Pizzaman unless you've spent years of suffering, where humility becomes a larger part of life. Guys like Pizzaman make me grateful.)

Jordan Wall

« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2006, 01:07:05 AM »
I am sorry after reading this thread for the umpteenth time  just had to say something.
Ed, that is by far one of the coolest and inspirational stoires I have ever heard of in my life.  I mean, honestly, what are the odds you end up spending so much time with a guy who is a pizza guy, and all because you post on this site.  To hear those stories of how you played many times with him, and he was afraid he was not a real guest, it is all very cool and inspiration, and I would just like to personally thank you for sharing them.

I hope I can have the same kind of connection with this new friend I have met as well.
 :)

Ed_Baker

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2006, 10:40:21 AM »
Jordan,

Thank you for the kind words.

Tommy Paul,

Dave and I are planning to do the Philly tour sometime in August and I'm sure we'll get together to share a chalice or two of the " Blood of Christ" nothing like a good sulphite headache in the morning.

I have had the honor of meeting and playing golf with many GCA.com participants over the last 5 or 6 years and to a man they have been gentlemen and just a blast to play with and then celebrate the days events with.

The very,very, cool additional benefit to participation on Golf Club Atlas besides all that you learn about golf architecture is the friends you make along the way, and I mean friends not just golf acquaintances.

Ran and the entire Morrisett family can certainly be proud of how many friendships have been formed from this site. I am very grateful.

Phil McDade

Re: GCA and the Pizza Man! The Silent Majority?
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2008, 09:33:04 PM »
...per Kyle's request; it's been awhile (prompted by hockey goons over there somewhere...)

PThomas

Re: GCA and the Pizza Man! The Silent Majority?
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2008, 09:48:44 PM »
so cool to reread...

and how awesome you took him to Myopia Ed!

and do not fear:  Pizzaman is still reading all of our posts from above...
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back