GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Horace Hutchinson

(1/2) > >>

T_MacWood:
Horace Hutchinson almost single handedly popularized golf in England. As a tremendous golfer, golf writer and powerful figure why isn't he better known?

Ran Morrissett:
What did Horace ever do other than pen the first golf instruction book, become the first Englishman to win the Brit. Am. (and then repeat as victor in 1887), design much of Brancaster as we play it today, and write what Darwin called his favorite golf book , The Badminton Library Golf Book?I say the guy was a loser  

ForkaB:
Old Horace had a sense of humor too."If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. "

Dan King:
Wasn't Horace from England?  We all know golf is a game invented and perfected by us Americans.  What the heck could someone from England contribute to golf?While C.B. Macdonald is the most glaring absentee from the World Golf Hall of Fame, Mr. Hutchinson isn't far behind. Both had very similar talents.Mt. Hutchinson is fairly well known by those that care about golf history. There is a large body of golfers who don't care about the game's past, and Mr. Hutchinson isn't well known by that group.Dan King
dking@danking.org
quote:"It consists in putting little balls into little holes with instruments ill adapted to the purpose."
--Horace Hutchinson (asked to describe the game of golf [He said  this 50 years prior to when Churchill got credit for it])

T_MacWood:
Ran
And his home courses were Westward Ho! and Ashdown Forest two of your favorites. Dan
I'm still not sure why he isn't better known. He was prolific writer and a great player, everyone seemed to love him  - perhaps it was a case of timing, coming too early to be recognized. I know Macdonald was a great admirer and a friend. I've read a few of his books, including some non-golf related and he seemed to be a fascinating gentleman, he knew everyone from Lord Balfour to Oscar Wilde -- with your massive library are you aware of any good biographies on Hutchinson.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version