GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

There Are No Good Places Left To Build Golf Courses In California

(1/2) > >>

Tommy_Naccarato:

TN:
Pay no attention to the numbers

Ran Morrissett:
In parts of Australia, you could work with the EPA equivalent and get a site like that approved but in CA, I assume such a site would have no chance of making it through all the red tape?  

aclayman:
Tommy, your sarcasim is felt here too. Stilwell Hall has just been saved by the army and has a few more seasons before it has to be moved 800 feet or fall into the pacific. The price tag...9 mil to move it. Supposedly, Leon Panetta heads the comm. that has been trying to save the structure. Can't some "deal" be arranged so the state parks dept. can offer affordable golf to the masses, who can't afford the peninsula norm ? Just cause it will put all the others to shame shouldn't be a deterant, should it?

Tommy_Naccarato:
Adam,
Couldn't agree more. Especially after having just a blast yesterday at one of my local hidden gems.(For SoCal) The site is in the Guadalupe Dunes, just south of SLO and north of Santa Maria. I found this site on Terraserver over three years ago, and kept it quiet, other then a few of us that really felt something special could be done there, if there was a possiblilty of the CCC allowing the use of it to be a totally natural golf course.That effort was exhausted. Links land in California? How does this make the most discerning of anti-California bashers feel?Can you believe it? They allow ATV's to ride all over this place and terrorize it, but there is absolutely no chance that the CCC will ever let it be a golf course.At one time however, they did allow Union Oil (Unocal) to use the dunes for massive oil drilling. To get the oil out of the ground, they injected steam and petrolium into the ground to loosen it up. this of course caused even more havoc to the environment. They are now cleaning it up, with the help of the federal government. (You and me)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version