GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Kingsley Club Profile Is Posted

(1/4) > >>

John Morrissett:
The Kingsley Club near Traverse City, MI will appeal to many participants of this DG: interesting property (including a nearly treeless front nine), very little earth movement (leaving many of the original features to dominate (e.g., the 13th green, the ski-slope hill in the 17th fairway, etc.)), tremendous green sites (in terms of both quality and variety), and artistic/classic bunkering.  Mike DeVries is defintely one to follow, as the Kingsley Club is awfully impressive as his solo debut.

Tim_Weiman:
John:Thanks for doing the profile on Kingsley.Our group enjoyed the tour Mike DeVries did for us last fall. I especially liked the bunker work, so much so that I need to go back before too long and see the rest of the course.

Ran Morrissett:
Brother,You use the word 'rugged' to describe the property at both The Kingsley Club and Inniscrone. Are there other similarities between the two apart from the large scale/wild appearance of their bunkers? Does the 15th hole generally play downwind? How many sq.ft. is that green? It looks tiny! In difficulty, the green reminds me of trying to hold the 13th at Prestwick.Will the severity of the 2nd hole keep play from getting away smoothly?Isn't the goal here to keep the greens under 10 on the stimp, given the green undulations?  The course looks too good (!) to be true - does it border on being too severe when you combine the wind, rough and wild topo?Cheers,

JDL:
Ran, I have been a member for over a year and I can give you a few thouhts:I walk the course.  Most ride.  It is a great work out and it was designed to be walked.  Rugged may be a bit over stated but it is taxing.  I feel it the next day after walking 27.  The 15th plays to the northwest which is almost always into the prevailing wind (and up hill too).  It is one tough hole.  I par it about 25% of the time.  I have only hit the green in "regulation" twice, interestingly by bouncing it on from about 185-190yds.  A longer carry into the 4 foot hill that protects green kills the ball and it rolls back.  An approach that lands on the green with a long iron generally runs back into the bunker.  I have seen better players hold the green. In the course review it is stated that a 5 is generally the worst you will card, but the fun begins when one happens to hit it into the trees that protect the last 100yds of the fairway and tight to the right of the green.  This is not uncommon for many of us that are hitting to this small green from 180-210 yds away.  I love the challenge on this hole and many options for pitching to some very difficult pin placements.  I don't know the exact size but it is small in comparison to the others on the course.  You asked about the play at the second hole.  It can create slow play issues if the group has a lot of testosterone. If the green is missed then one must play to a safe area (fat part of the green, or front landing area) regardless of where the pin is or (speaking from experience) you will play ping pong.  With only 250 members planned we have not had a slow play issue.All of the greens are in perfect condition. Dan Lucas has done a great job.  My understanding is that the greens are not to stimp above 8-9 because as you observe they would be nearly unplayable.  There are incredible options on these greens for playing safe but it does take some imagination.  In my opinion the course is as you query "too good to be true".  I joined almost immediately after playing the front nine (and the back was just growing in).  The fairways are wide so the key is getting a good angle to the green to put the ball in the right spot to avoid a three putt.  This is a great match play course!  I am curious about John's use of the word "controversy" in description of #9.  I love this hole and would be interested to hear more about the controversy.  It is not too bad once you realize that the front left bunkers ( there are 3 of them as viewed from the south) are the safe landing area with a relatively easy 4 and good odds at a 3.  Anything long and over the green usually results in a shot that ends up in the front bunkers.There are several holes where the best play is the run on.  The best of which are both the par 3s; the fifth and the "redan" sixteenth.  It is great feeling to see the ball disappear behind the guarding front mounds only to see them reappear on the green after what is an apparent eternity of about 2-3 seconds.  

Matt_Ward:
Had the opportunity to play Arcadia Bluffs and The Kingsley Club during my recent trek to northwest Michigan. Was told about The Kingsley before leaving and did not have much to go on except the comments from a guy who I have the highest respect for in reviewing courses.I enjoyed Arcadia Bluffs immednsely, but The Kingsley Club is a must play. You will NEVER be bored at The Kingsley. The shifting winds, the glorious differences between the front and back nines and the devilish / fun greens and bunkers all make for a wonderful course. Hats off to Mike DeVries.There has been discussion about the 15th and I say the hole is clearly a bear, but with two superb shots you can achieve success. Ditto the short but sinister 9th. Played downwind and you must hit an absolute uncanny approach. This is not a hole to use the hard cover ball without a doubt.Also loved the gambling 7th hole with its tempting narrow fairway. Go longer and the drive had best be pured! Also love the combination of holes #12 and #13. One is long / tight and the other possesses a green more vexing than any I have ever faced.The Kingsley requires careful thought off the tee for the proper angle of approach. Once you get on the course it's no less than what a child feels like when he / she enters Toys R Us at Xmas time!!! A gem and one I hope to return to soon.P.S. Much is made of green speeds. I credit the club with keeping things in perspective and not permitting speeds to run beyond what is clearly reasonable. Kudos to Dan Lucas and the staff for the firm and fast turf conditions. The Kingsley Club is what golf needs more of and is a design that many architects, developers should visit to really understand what quality and fine detail is about and how it can be achieved.
I envy the membership ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version