GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The September Feature Interview with The Captain is posted

(1/4) > >>

Ran Morrissett:
While rummaging around for some info on the legendary golf course architect George Thomas, Geoff Shackelford once struck up a conversation with a member at Bel Air.After briefly explaining what a genius Thomas was and why it was important to understand his work/ideas, Geoff was surprised when the member responded, "Yes, I played golf with him just the other week - a fine man indeed."!!Thus, Geoff was only slightly caught off guard when he recently bumped into The Captain at a rose show (I think Geoff was more surprised that HE was at the rose show). Nonetheless, Geoff seized the opportunity and conducted the following Q&A.Even better - Thomas is now internet savvy as he tracks roses over the internet and he will be periodically responding to questions.Hope you enjoy this exclusive GolfClubAtlas.com Feature Interview!Cheers,

ForkaB:
GeoffYou forgot to ask him about life on the other side

Ran Morrissett:
Mr. Thomas,What was your best site that you worked on?MacKenzie had his Cypress Point but also his Royal Melbourne West, Crystal Downs, Augusta National and even Pasatiempo. Did you ever work with a piece of property as good as any of those?I've seen your big three LA courses and while LA North has some beautiful topo, weren't you handcuffed by a prior routing?Cheers,

aclayman:
Just an another amazing aspect of GCA.com.
GREAT!
WtgBoys girls moms and dads

Geoff_Shackelford:
I relayed your questions to GCT Jr., this is what he passed along.  Rich, he suggested watching Albert Brooks' "Defending Your Life" for the best overview of the afterlife. Ran, the Captain said that no, he never did have a site quite like those you listed, though Ojai was very, very special in terms of natural features. La Cumbre and LACC-North were both basically redesigns, so the land was a bit tainted by the previous, and somewhat primitive design ideas. Still though, both were/are excellent sites for golf though he says neither course has much idea how to best take advantage of their best features, for which he is quite sad.
Geoff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version