GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

The Machrihanish Golf Club

<< < (2/2)

Dan King:
I'm thrilled you loved Machrihanish as much as I did. What a spot. I go back and forth on my favorite spots in the world, but Machrihanish has spent some time at the top spot. The minute I read about it in Michael Bamberger's To the Linksland I knew I had to go there and it didn't disappoint. Any of you haven't gone there yet, plan enough ahead so you can reserve Room#3 at Mr. Baxter's B&B across the street from the course.Ardell House
Machrihanish
Argyll PA28 6PT
Scotland
Tel: 0586-810235There was a recent thread about poor finishing holes and Machrihanish was mentioned. I'd tend to agree that 17 and 18 fall out of character with the rest of the course. Bamberger mentions that it would be nice to find a par 3 somewhere back in the dunes and turn 17 and 18 into a strong three shot finisher.Dan King
dking@danking.org
quote:"Machrihanish was not a grueling course, but any legitimate scratch golfer who went around in level fours would be extremely delighted. And yet I don't think a twenty-handicapper would ever struggle to break a hundred there.  Machrihanish was fun, yet challenging, a combination that is suprisingly rare."
--Michael Bamberger

Gene Greco:
  Was there last week. Drove myself from Turnberry as the others in my group left me alone in Scotland and returned to their respective homes.
  Had reserved room #3 at Mr. Baxters but got #2 instead.
  Drank 50 year old Macallan at The Argiel House (three glasses) after having consumed numerous pours of Springbank and Campbell Loch in the Machrahanish clubhouse.
  Bought a headcover in the proshop and unceremoniously tossed my 975D headcover in the trash replacing it one which reads "Machrahanish Golf Links 1876". (My 4 wood is similarly covered with a "Cruden Bay" headcover).
  Playing alone on these magical links was, as Maslow would write, a peak experience in my life. I will return. Hopefully, often.

Paul_Daley:
Well said John, your respect and reverance of Machrihanish comes through load and clear.I agree, the first is a 'bottler', and once experienced, other lauded openers around the golfing globe pale by comparison.I too, love the stretch between 3-8 and, combined with the 1st, this makes for a great outward half. What a shame there are not more 6200 yard courses around, although, it is pleasing to see how Tom Doak is attempting to reverse the ugly modern trend.During my research for Links Golf: The Inside Story, I found Anna Anderson (Sec/Manager) most helpful and charming.Any red-blooded golfer who enjoys links golf, and has not sampled Machrihanish, has missed an experience just as educative as TOC, Cruden Bay, Prestwick, and Brora.Make it a priority!

John_D._Bernhardt:
Dan King, when you discuss places for a writer and golfer to pass the days of life on a reasonable budget. This may be the place. The south coast of Kintyre and the Mull provide many a haven of uncommon beauty not more than 15 minutes from world class golf.

Paul Richards:
Machrihanish deserves a great deal of
consideration to be included in the
Worlds' Top 100 courses.The 74 I carded there, despite an opening
double-bogey, thanks to a drive onto the
beach, is a memory of a lifetime.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version