News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Golf Writer/Editor

Why do So Many Golf Magazines Fail?
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2001, 11:08:00 AM »
I believe the formula for a golf magazine that will inevitably fail is simple and often repeated:

-- Begin with the inviolate premise that you are launching an advertising vehicle, first and foremost.  Never mind the reader because you're a smart businessman and you know that only the advertiser matters. When an advertiser tells he will buy an ad only if comes with a positive review of his new course, or his latest clothing line, tell him, fine, not a problem.  You'e not a whore, you're a savvy publisher.
-- Next, go out and find editors and writers who will fulfill the mission of your magazine.  They are easy to find, because they are unemployed after the collapse of their last failed golf mag.  They also work cleaply because they are not exactly in demand at the more reputable publications that have survived for years.

lorne rubenstein

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2001, 01:05:00 PM »
You've hit on a subject that has vexed many serious golf writers--and by serious I mean those who take their craft seriously, and not themselves. Why, we can even be funny sometimes about golf.
I recall many discussions with Brad Klein and others about this matter of why golf publications often don't aim higher. The major magazines sometimes tackle controversial subjects; see Marcia Chambers' pieces in Golf Digest on matters surrounding the Casey Martin issue, discrimination in golf; see Golf Journal's interesting pieces on all, or most, things golf.
I've written for most of the major magazines during the last 20 years and am confident they're all looking for good writers and engaging subjects--not that they're looking hard enough or doing these stories often enough. I've heard from magazine editors who have said that pieces can be too thoughtful for their readers. Maybe that's so, but I  think that's acceding to the lowest common denominator. I think there's plenty of room for thoughtful pieces in magazines and newspapers; I write a twice-weekly column for the Globe and Mail, our national paper in Canada, and have for 21 years. It's a writer's paper and I like to think the readers are serious readers. I believe these same people are everywhere, but we need a journal of the game--a sort of New Yorker of golf. Brad and I have spoken frequently about this, and we've done the same with other writers, most notably at a long, languid dinner in St. Andrews 18 months ago. Of course the issue of financial support always comes up, and then we go our separate ways. But I'm confident readers would indeed like  no-holds barred reviews of courses; thankfully, I can do this in the newspaper. Courses should be reviewed using the same critical standards as are applied to restaurants and films. I think readers would also enjoy long magazine pieces on tournaments and players who aren't tour pros--the Walker Cup, Curtis Cup, U.S. Amateur. Some readers of GCA might recall Calvin Trillin's U.S. Journal pieces in The New Yorker, where he took some small slice of life and amplified it into a delightful and informative essay. We need more of this kind of piece in golf.
Readers should take heart. There's plenty of excellent and thoughtful golf writing out there. You won't always find it in golf magazines, sure. But just look around and you'll find it. Often non-golf magazines carry the longer pieces.
Golf has a literature as or more sophisticated than that you'll find in baseball, boxing and fishing. If you'll insist on getting more than instruction from magazines, well, you just might get what you want. Or what you need.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2001, 01:42:00 PM »
Lorne Rubinstein --

"A New Yorker of golf."

Exactly what I've daydreamed about, for years now.

Where do I send my resume?

Except:

Do you think advertisers would support a New Yorker of golf? I have very serious doubts that advertisers would be interested in a New Yorker of golf that didn't quickly start eroding into just another Golf Magazine or Golf Digest (albeit with a higher literary sheen, and a much smaller circulation).

Maybe such a thing could succeed, given a very, very savvy controlled circulation. But I doubt it.

So it strikes me that a New Yorker of golf would have to support itself through substantial annual subscription fees. Is there a large enough audience of golfophiles who would be willing to pay a big enough fee?

Would that it were so.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

RobertWalker

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2001, 01:57:00 PM »
A new golf magazine of any kind will not succeed because no publisher will be willing to let it bleed for at least the 5 years it takes to become profitable. Publishers continue to appoint non-golf people to the Editior-In-Chief position.
Golf For Women
Maximum Golf
AE's T&L Golf

Like it or not, GOLF and Golf Digest put out complete packages.

Slag_Bandoon

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2001, 02:26:00 PM »
 I am the publisher of "Foozler's Chronicle". It is a custom magazine that has no ads, ad-men, editors or employees.  Each copy costs $375 (=to Pebble Beach fee) (paid up front) but will be a collectors item when I die - possibly worthy of bird cage lining. Next issue will have "How to develope a POWER duck hook lawsuit defense."

What would have happened if Ayn Rand's editor said "We have to dumb it down so folks will enjoy reading it and will buy more of your books."? Or Albert Einstein being asked if he could shorten E=MC2? "Hey Al, I love ya baby but if you leave off the 2 the C will rhyme with E; better print...flows."  

Neil C., I'll keep an eye out for the announcement.  Sounds interesting.  

NorbyNeato@aol.com

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2001, 02:47:00 PM »
A New Yorker of golf? Easy. Just get a list of the 20 thousand or so people who keep Sleeping Bear in biz and charge $100 a year for 12 issues. If you get 1/2 the audience the revenue will be a million dollars even with no ads. Let my hero Michael Thomas edit the publication and you have a guaranteed winner.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back