News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Craig_Rokke

Why do So Many Golf Magazines Fail?
« on: November 04, 2001, 04:50:00 PM »
Perhaps the survival rate of golf magazines
is no worse than any other group of publications. It does seem to me, however, that a lot of golf magazines go by the wayside rather quickly.

I recently got the subscription pink slip
from "Turnstile's Golf and Travel". I also believe that "Maximum Golf" may have published their last issue. "The Golfer" is apparently back on track, after reportedly struggling to stay afloat. And many of the regional publications which I've enjoyed over the years have disappeared after relatively short stints on the market. There are probably many others that I can't think of at the moment.

In a sport that has seemingly gained so much in popularity, why is this? Is it just a matter of too many to choose from? Is it a quality issue? Do the major publications such as "Golf" and "Golf Digest" have such a strong foothold that others can't compete on a national level? Do many golfers prefer to play rather than read? Any thoughts? Any magazines you'd like to see make a comeback?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2001, 06:00:00 PM »
Craig:

Good thread!

As editor-in-chief for the past 11 years of The Jersey Golfer I can tell you categorically that most regional magazines are nothing but PR toting publications that live to gather ad revenue.

Most of these publications simply exist to please their "masters." Unfortunately, the reader is left to second place considerations because ad revenue is the main driving force -- not editorial clarity that speaks to the issues without concern for complete control by how the advertisers feel. We at Jersey Golfer have sought to inform advertisers that our publication reserves the right to write the stories we believe must be written. Sometimes our agenda is not the same agenda for advertisers. I believe that as long as we are strenous in our desire to be accruate and fair we have served our purpose. Most regional publications are simply promoters of advertorial content -- not meaningful editorial content! If you ask many of them they would puff out their chest and think they were in the league with the NY Times and the Wall Street Journal. What utter nonsense!

The national magazines you mention are able to survive because they have large circulation sizes and a range of advertisers that keep them going. They are also owned by large conglomerates with vast resources.

Regional publications are rarely supported by the large equipment companies because many fly regional pubs fly below the radar screen they deem to be important in building consumer response and their overall market share. For that reason, the base of support for regional publications is much smaller and sensitive to the whims of anyone who might take "offense" to editorial freedom.

In addition, many large magazines are moving away from pure investigative pieces because they don't lend themselves to producing more revenue. That's why you see the large magazines highlighting their golf schools and the like. It's always about building revenue. Think of what Links and Golf & Travel do, among others. They build up the volume of special unique resorts and travel detsination places with "soft" pieces. They are nothing more than photo spread PR articles. Clearly, the places advertising benefit and the magazine develops a position as a high profile / albeit low analysis publication.

In most instances you must depend upon Golf World and GolfWeek to really highlight issues that are at the core of the game. To their credit -- they still do them.

Most golfers want nothing more than instruction. That is what drives the decison makers who run the major pubs such as Digest and Magazine. They constantly survey their readership and keep coming up with the same instruction drivel that continually resurfaces over the course of time -- to wit, "How to hit the power fade," followed by "How to hit the power hook."

The major pubs follow the golden rule -- give the reader what they want -- not what they need.

More golf pubs cannot exist because the market to develop such a readership takes plenty of time and $$$. You highlighted a number of the ones that have failed. Few companies see profitability in such a venture when a women's magazine such as "O" (Oprah's new creation) can really hit a nerve with women who make up a good chunk of the buyers.

Those who monitor GCA really do not understand the factors that go into keeping a regional pub going. Editorial honesty is often the sacrificial lamb that starts the inevitable descent into lifeless propaganda.

Sorry for the long ramblings ... I hope what I have said helps. Thankfully, GCA is an outlet with fresh and clearly different perspectives that are not captive to any one particular group.

Regards,

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
Matt,
I could not agree more. One of the other problems I see is that even if the magazine or newspaper is willing to push the envelope by printing opinion pieces potentially offensive to advertisers, there are not enough good golf writers to fill their pages.

I've said before that most of the stuff printed in our regional golf magazines in Northern California is incomprehensible drivel.

What is worse, even when the occasional Bob Weisgerber (Golf Today) writes excellent historical pieces for one of these rags, it gets lost in the shuffle.

In truth, like most of the so-called "golf writers" in California, all these sycophants are trying to do is turn a quick buck by using writing as a scam to leverage free golf.

The owners of these publications are worse and pay almost nothing for their material. And they definitely get what they pay for.

It is impossible to hold an intelligent conversation with 90% of the writers because they have never given a moment's deep thought to the game - besides how to bullshit themselves onto the newest CCFAD.

Any idiot can puke out a bunch of flowery fluff, but how can you look at yourself in the mirror when your name is on the byline?

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2001, 07:56:00 AM »
Matt,
I could not agree more. One of the other problems I see is that even if the magazine or newspaper is willing to push the envelope by printing opinion pieces potentially offensive to advertisers, there are not enough good golf writers to fill their pages.

I've said before that most of the stuff printed in our regional golf magazines in Northern California is incomprehensible drivel.

What is worse, even when the occasional Bob Weisgerber (Golf Today) writes excellent historical pieces for one of these rags, it gets lost in the shuffle.

In truth, like most of the so-called "golf writers" in California, all these sycophants are trying to do is turn a quick buck by using writing as a scam to leverage free golf.

The owners of these publications are worse and pay almost nothing for their material. And they definitely get what they pay for.

It is impossible to hold an intelligent conversation with 90% of the writers because they have never given a moment's deep thought to the game - besides how to bullshit themselves onto the newest CCFAD.

Any idiot can puke out a bunch of flowery fluff, but how can you look at yourself in the mirror when your name is on the byline?

ed_getka

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2001, 09:09:00 PM »
Matt,
I think a magazine like Links serves a useful purpose in providing a forum that highlights classic courses that many people would otherwise never see. That is why I subscribe to Links. I just ignore all the housing garbage and the modern classics or whatever they call it, which is usually just marketing drivel. Where else would one be able to see pix of Pine Valley, Cypress Point, Garden City, etc...?

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Peter Galea

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2001, 03:25:00 AM »
Why Ed, you can see all those courses and much more right here! To top it off, nobody's trying to sell you anything, and there's none of those pesky "lapflaps."
"chief sherpa"

Matt_Ward

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2001, 03:28:00 AM »
Ed:

There are plenty of outlets that have pictures of the classic courses. To the credit of Links (I also subscribe) they do run a series on classic courses and at least try to expand the knowledge of the reader.

But the bulk of many of these magazines is to provide pictorials that PROMOTE the advertiser. That's the agenda. Do you ever see a serious critique on any new upscale course that opens that isn't always fawning?

I doubt it. All fo the facilities are in favor of ratings as look as you don't get a bad review. I credit Ron Whitten for his weekly analysis on a course he visits. I wish Digest did more because it's standing would gain. Years ago Digest was the mover and shaker -- that's how it developed it's reputation. Ditto the superb writing and commentary from people such as Nick Seitz.

Regional publications are simply captive to their localized advertisers. We at Jersey Golfer have been able to develop an independent voice that many respect because they know we're about honesty -- we will not just throw out some inane piece that gushes ad naseum. Sorry for self plug.

Building revenue is the motus operandi of any major publication today and given the recession and pull back of advertisers it will simply become more so.

Regional publications can survive but the odds at the Alamo or Titanic are clearly better.

Regards,

ed_getka

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2001, 05:25:00 AM »
Pete,
I was referring to my B.G.(before GCA) days as using Links as a way to see great courses.

Matt,
I absolutely agree about the ads, fluff reviews, etc.. Other than the feature classic course I don't pay much attention to most of the articles. Especially the great hole feature at the back that half the time shows boring, aesthetically pleasing holes with little architectural merit. On the plus side, when I see one of those boring holes I know which course to avoid wasting money on.

"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2001, 10:44:00 AM »
Matt Ward --

You write: "Most regional magazines are nothing but PR toting publications that live to gather ad revenue."

How does that distinguish them from the national magazines?

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2001, 12:46:00 PM »
Matt-

It sounds there are pitfalls and temptations that confront regional publications such as TJG. Your publication must be doing something
right given its longevity. Any guidelines
TJG goes by as far as content or approach that help it stay above the fray?

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2001, 01:33:00 PM »
Dan:

The national magazines have greater resources and the pull of a wider variety of advertisers to sustain themselves. If one big advertiser or even a few dropped GD or GM there would be others to come forward.

Take The Jersey Golfer -- we are completely dependent on advertising revenue from the immediate area. Yes, we might get ads from Pennsy and / or NY resorts that want to have Jersey golfers come there and play those courses. But, for the most part, we have to deal with a much smaller base of operations.

Fortunately, because we strive (forgive again my plug) to cover the major stories in Jersey golf we have developed a readership that respects what we try to do. Our style has been and continues to be one thing -- be fair and accurate.

I also believe that since I as editor and Lowell Schmidt as publisher have worked together for so long (over 11 years) we  have come forward with stories you just would not see in many regional magazines (to wit -- the firing of former Baltusrol superintendent Joe Flaherty; a face-to-face Q&A with former PV Chairman Ernie Ransome and a host of other leading Jersey figures in golf over the last number of years; the design greatness of Charles Banks; why women get second hand treatment at many private clubs; the most in-depth ratings of all Jersey courses on a biennial basis; the upcoming restoration article we did on Plainfield; the best professional advice on how to play golf with David Glenz -- one of the nation's premier teachers.

Does that mean we have not suffered in some ways because of our desire to go after the top stories? Yes, we have. In fact, I wrote a column not too long ago trying to explain the differences between "advertorial" and "editorial." The point was to highlight not only to advertisers but to readers the constant pressure regional magazines face in order to keep going.

Any time we do a course review and that particular course does not get a "high" rating in the mind of the owner we hear about it. We have had as they say in the State Department a "frank" discussion with a number of people on why we wrote what we did. When we see golf course owners charging people in excess of $75 to play a course that has temporary greens and they don't tell you that PRIOR to paying ... that is absolutely ripping the public off and someone or some publication needs to say that.

Dan, many regional publications are nice ventures by people who want to make a living (or try to!) on the subject of golf. They also know that to be completely frank OR close to being candid on their coverage carries greater risk than playing safe and writing these vanilla softball pieces you always see. These are not golf magazines in my mind -- they are wonderfuil fairy tales meant to entertain the reader. They rarely, if ever, inform the reader!  

The national magazines, from what I see, still possess the wherewithal to take clear stands on a host of issues. But, as I stated before, the driving force for national magazines is to build revenue for all other aspects connected to their empire. Golf Digest rakes in plenty of dough for its schools through the magazine. As a result, instruction is the cornerstone of the publication as it is with Golf Magazine. Still, the national magazines can take on controversial issues (albeit not in the same manner as say Sports Illustrated and its Golf Plus section) but you often see less rather than more. I credit Golf World and GolfWeek for being able to delve into a range of topics that can inform the core golfer.

Craig:

We enjoy the fray! The publisher and myself really do enjoy taking forward stories of real interest. I can tell you from first hand experience it's never easy.

When we started doing Q&A interviews we had them completely taped and a friend of mine who is a court reporter transcribed them to keep the interviewee from saying down the road they did not say one particular thing or another. In fact, we actually send the transcript to the person before printing it so that any errors can be eliminated.

However, we will not pull something someone said just because they want to avoid seeing it in print. In my mind, they should have thought about that before opening their mouth. That's no less a standard than what you see in other major pubs that have Q&A's like Playboy.

We are not out to get anyone or anything. But, we do want to publish golf stories / features that make people think and make people understand why golf is such a grand game.

Honesty is what everyone says they want -- but really few people desire it. We will not tackle controversial stories unless we have a number of credible sources we believe are iron clad.

New Jersey is fortunate to have so many grand courses and wonderful people drawn to golf. Our agenda is to print golf stories that inform, that make you laugh and make you think. Yes, we do have opinions and we aren't bashful in saying so. But, we never take on a subject with a mean spirited edge.

Regional publications can offer so much but few of them really want to venture into the deep water. Their sole purpose is to keep publishing the "lite" stories because the ad dollars will keep on coming.

Jersey Golfer succeeds at a low level in comparison to the larger regional publications such as Washington Golf Monthly, and a few others. We believe our "voice" is different than others and is appreciated by those who value diversity rather than blind allegiance to the daily drumbeat of pablum type PR pieces you see in so many magazines. I don't call them golf magazines -- they are merely prostitutes who collect $$ for a particular service.

Sorry for the long winded chest beating. I can only hope we at Jersey Golfer will be able to survive what looks to be a very tough and prolonged recession. To our loyal advertisers and readers I say thank you.

Regards,

ed_getka

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2001, 06:59:00 PM »
Matt,
Its nice to see someone who is so passionate about what they do. Your last post was informative. Do you have past articles databased?

Paul_Daley

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2001, 10:57:00 PM »
Great post Craig.

I guess at the end of the day, ...

(1) Circulaltion issues/constraints
(2) Lowest common demonimator driven
(3) Too sponsor driven
(4) Interviews not incisive/in-depth
(5) Too "equipment" orientated
(6) Too "glamour" course oriented
(7) Lack of meaty articles
(8) Poor budegts to atract serious writers
(9) Complacency - same old stuff
(10)Lack of differentiation between mags

Perhaps some of them need to start merging and pooling forces?

Brad Klein

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2001, 12:08:00 AM »
A great series of posts by some very knowledgable insiders on a really important topic.

The sad thing is that if you got back into the archives of the classic golf magazines - American Golfer, Golfdom -  you got substantial, detailed pieces. But interestingly enough, you never got a  review that was seriously negative. In fact, there's more of that today in Golf Digest and Golfweek than ever before. The key, as Matt Ward suggests above, is developing a large enough advertiser base so that you are never so dependent upon one (group) of advertisers so that you can achieve relative freedom.

Several points that have not been raised merit attention.

1) How many of you who enjoy Links Magazine actually pay for it? Only 5 percent of its approx. 300,000 "subscribers" actually pay; the rest get it free, since the overwhelming bulk of its revenues comes from advertisers. And for all of its good photography and history, when was the last time you read one even tiny negative/critical word in that magazine?

2) National magazines with a relatively large advertiser base are able to achiece something most regional publications can't: separation of ad and edit on the inside operation of the magazine. There is much more of this than you think. Sadly, much of the relatively kind, "hands-off" approach you see in magazines comes not from the editorial staff directive but from self-censorship on the part of writers who are too chicken shit to take on powerful people, whether owners or architects. Don't underestimate the feel-good shmooze factor as contributing to the soft and gentle apporoach most writers take.

3) Getting good writers is increasingly difficult. Except for a few nationally-known writers, the pay is not great, the long-term job security less than ideal. There are a few good people out there, but you would be astonished how hard it is to find dedicated, thoughtful, knowledgable writers who can turn in good clean readable copy on deadline.

4) Finally, there are too many magazines out there chasing too few readers/advertisers. Even nationally subscribed magazines wth large paid circulations generate no more than 30 percent of their operating revenue from readers. The rest comes from advertisrs. For regionals, it's 100 percent. But there are fewer companies advertising, too much competition from cable TV (Golf Channel), and a very competitive climate out there, making it difficult for editors to run the knd of risks that would be ideal. A few publications/sources achieve this. My suggestion is to support/appreciate/pay for them.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2001, 03:40:00 AM »
Brad Klein:

Thanks for your excellent points. As a noted writer and golf architect expert I always appreciate your take. Clearly, regional publications serve a purpose and the good ones do deserve the support of the avid golfer.

Ed:

Jersey Golfer does not keep articles in a computer database as of yet (it's something we are working on), but we do mail copies of the magazine to interested parties throughout the country. If you're interested in getting our latest copy we can mail to your home / work address. Just drop me the info at mattwardgolf@hotmail.com

Paul:

Your idea on merging is good, but what happens is that the working plan used by national magazines is then filtered down the pike to regional ones. What happens? The editorial voice you have is then muted to accomplish greater ad revenue potential with the increased circulation base.

We at Jersey Golfer do review merging options, but not at the expense of losing our distinctive voice (again sorry for the self plug!).

Regards,

A humble contributor

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2001, 04:25:00 AM »
With an illiteracy rate of 97% in Afghanistan, is it any wonder?

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2001, 05:26:00 AM »
Brad,
Only 5% pay a subscription? I'm feeling kind of foolish to be paying when the rest of the world is getting it free. Interesting insights regarding writers and magazine workings.

John Morrissett

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2001, 06:01:00 AM »
Matt Ward--

You have made me curious.  I lived in NJ for six years and saw only the occasional issue of the New Jersey Golfer.  I must admit to not remembering much about it -- is it given out free at golf shops, sold at news stands, subscribed to, etc.?

Do you have a web site we could visit to get an idea of the magazine?

How many people does a magazine like the New Jersey Golfer have on its staff?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2001, 06:13:00 AM »
Matt Ward and Brad Klein --

My question earlier in this string -- about the advertising pressures that face regional magazines, and how that distinguishes them from national magazines (if it does) -- was meant to be provocative.

I'm a former magazine editor. I was editor-in-chief of two general-interest regional magazines, where I learned more than I ever cared to know about the corrosive effect that advertising pressures can have on editorial integrity.

I was fired, in the end, at both magazines -- largely because, in the publishers' eyes, I wasn't sufficiently interested in creating publications in which the advertisers' interests superseded the readers'. They quite easily found replacements who weren't so bull-headed in the view that the readers' interests should invariably lead the way -- and that advertisers would surely follow if we gave the readers a magazine they loved.

By way of example: Our research showed that readers of those magazines could not have cared less about our fashion opinions and insights (if any). They looked to Vogue, or Elle, or some other fashion specialist for their fashion "needs." But certain advertisers DEMANDED fashion coverage as a quid pro quo for their advertising -- so, at the publishers' insistence, we did fashion stories that almost no one except the advertisers read.

The advertisers trumped the readers. It made me sick to my stomach.

Of course, the advertisers' demands were never quite so inelegantly expressed as this: "You cover fashion, or our wallet is closed." But their message got through nonetheless. I'm quite certain that the same sorts of implicit messages get through loudly and clearly to the offices of George Peper and Jerry Tarde.

To judge by what I see, the influence of the advertising bullies has continued to grow -- nationally and locally, in general-interest and special-interest magazines alike -- since I got out of magazines and into the newspaper business 12 years ago.

I see precious little evidence in the national golf magazines that they are any less beholden to their advertisers than the regional magazines are. I'll grant you that the national magazines are considerably better at DISGUISING their beholdenness -- but I think that's the essential difference between the national golf magazines and the regional ones I've seen: The national magazines' pandering to advertisers is just less OBVIOUS. Instead of doing a graceless, transparent puff piece about the year's new equipment, the big national golf magazines do 40- or 50-page monster-spreads in which SOME negative opinion is allowed -- but in which one will never see, for example: "I HATE these new Ping irons. They're absolute junk. Their old clubs were better." Perish the thought!

What's the evidence of advertising/editorial independence that you guys see in Golf Digest, Golf Magazine and their weekly brethren? Could you point me to instances when they went AGAINST the interests of their major advertisers? Where are the negative reviews of golf courses, golf clubs, golf balls? Has a new product by a major manufacturer/advertiser EVER been panned?

Perhaps I've missed the evidence you guys see. Maybe things have changed. I'll admit to being just an occasional reader of these magazines, lately -- partly because they kept telling me how to fix a slice I didn't have, but more importantly because, after years of reading them, I concluded that they and their advertisers have essentially the same relationship that CBS has with the bigwigs at Augusta. One cannot expect candor in such a setting.

Brad, you write: "Sadly, much of the relatively kind, 'hands-off' approach you see in magazines comes not from the editorial staff directive but from self-censorship on the part of writers who are too chicken shit to take on powerful people, whether owners or architects. Don't underestimate the feel-good shmooze factor as contributing to the soft and gentle approach most writers take." Truer words have rarely, if ever, been spoken -- but I'd like to add:

The same thing goes for Editors.

BarnyF

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2001, 06:26:00 AM »
Dan,

As the cold Minnesota winter approaches does your bung hole get any tighter...or are you always a tight-assed bitter man.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2001, 06:30:00 AM »
I agree with most of the points here and I must be one of the few who pays for Links.  Yes, Links has fluff pieces, but great pics, the Classic Courses, and Modern Classics are not the only things about Links that I like.
Nick Faldo's columns has become one of the best features of the mag.  He's honest and it's interesting to hear his opinions.  He's loves classic golf courses and great links courses and truly loves playing golf.  I still want to get Tom Paul the article Faldo wrote about the round he played with Gil Hanse at Merion (with Tom in the foursome). I've gained a new respect for him since before when I thought he was seemingly "lacking in personality", based solely on watching him play golf.  

Jack Whitaker has had opening pieces about golf history and tradition, including the importance of walking.

I've considered Washington Golf Monthly to possibly be at the top of the regionals I've seen, since they strive to be different on several fronts, except for the fluff pieces on local courses (can't piss off the $ source).  They don't do any quick-fix instructional pieces, as they feel visiting your local PGA pro for a lesson is a better choice (and practice, of course).  They quite often have "tradition" and "history"-type articles that hit the nail usually, and have possibly the most brutally honest teacher around, Wayne DeFrancesco (he played in the PGA Championship) this year.  He tells it like it is, no matter who he pisses off in his own field.  Ask him his opinion on teachers who don't play (competitively), and he'll seethe.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2001, 06:54:00 AM »
BarnyF --

Does this mean our golf date is off?

BarnyF

« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2001, 07:02:00 PM »
Dan,

Not at all...the only people I hold to any standards are my employees...My friends are as diverse as I and as perverse as my priest. Diversity and perversity are the tonic of a good time.

Gib_Papazian

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2001, 07:04:00 PM »
Excellent points from all. However, it might be relevant to point out that although regionals golf publications have to step lightly for self preservation, conventional newspapers do not.

Only a small percentage of the ad revenue at our paper comes from golf. As a matter of fact, I do not see much in the way of expensive ad space in any of the papers in the Bay Area.

I also question whether these CCFAD's even monitor closely what is being written about them in the first place.

Personally, I never hold back. My readers look to me for bluntly honest opinions and if I recommend a golf course that turns out to be an overpriced dud, believe me I hear about it.

Brad is right that many writers are cowards . . . but again, to the vast majority, golf writing is a ticket to ride and not a vehicle to express their passion for the game.

Their columns are more informational than anything else - I believe out of sheer laziness. It is much easier to blindly copy the bullshit press releases that fill my box every week than actually tackling a subject and taking a position.

I may piss a lot of people off over the course of the year, but I get twice as much more reader feedback than anyone else in the department.

What is more important, to cultivate a loyal readership with honest and thought provoking material, or being a shill for a bunch of con artists trying to  fleece the public out of a C-note with crap architecture????

Dan Kelly

« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2001, 07:32:00 PM »
Gib --

I gather that's one o' them rhetorical questions?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back