News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

A. MacKenzie

I'm back and here's what we should do at 15 at ANGC
« on: November 19, 2001, 05:49:00 PM »
Watching Greg Norman chip out on a Sunday is not what I had in mind here, let me assure you!

In an effort to keep the hole both challenging and strategically thrilling despite gains in distance by the professionals, here is what I'm contemplating:

1) remove any trees that have been planted in the past 40 years on that hole.
2) get rid of the mercy bunker to the right of the green.
3) get rid of the 'speed hump' on the right of the fairway.
4) make sure that the playing corridor is at least 75 yards wide.
5) install a central bunker of roughly the same style and artistry as the one that exists (existed) in the 10th fairway, beginning at the 310 yard mark from the tee and running for 30 yards or so. The bunker would vary in width without being more than 15-17 yards wide at any point.

The purpose of the bunker is several fold:

a) golfers have to decide if they want to lay back off the tee only 290-300 yards with their three woods   and be satisfied with a 220 yard-ish shot into that green.

b) those who want to risk further yards off the tee (i.e. those who drive it over 310 yards   ) will have to pick which side to go for. There will be at least 25-30 yards  of fairway on either side of the bunker, which is a reasonable target. If the flag is right, the ace golfer will want to be on the left of the bunker. If the flag is left, the ace golfer will want to be on the right of the bunker.

c) if the bold player unfortunately finds the bunker, all is not lost. He still has the chance to try a miraculous recovery shot from out of the long bunker onto the green.

d) the bunker wouldn't affect the members as they would drive it 70 yards short of it and then easily carry it with their second shots.

What do you think? Do I still have the magic touch or what?! The hole would still only have one bunker - it's just that its position would be far more interesting and entertaining than the sad soap dish to the right of the green.

John_McMillan

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2001, 06:44:00 PM »
Alister,

Don't you remember that the "fairway" bunker on the 10'th was a greenside bunker when you built it?

What's wrong with someone chipping out on Sunday?  I think that "strategic thrill" is more important than "challenge" in the 15'th hole's design.

To me, the most important change would be to remove the bunker on the right side of the green (Ben Hogan's suggestion), and restore the mounding which kicked a drawn approach onto the green.  I think that Hogan's idea was that he was long enough, and accurate enough, to play shots into the 15'th green, and wanted separation between himself and other players.

With "modern" Augusta's shaved green front, the shot into the 15'th is more demanding than it was with longer grass between the green and pond, so I think the alternative route to the green would provide a different option for players to get to the green.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2001, 07:43:00 AM »
Doctor Mackenzie:

You obviously don't know anything about the way golf is played at Augusta National.  Nor have you got a lick of vision.

What would that silly bunker really accomplish?

Last year, the average drive measured 377 yards.  The longer players averaged another twenty yards.  

Why are you worried about the trees on the right or that so called mercy bunker?  The whole reason we added a pond in the middle of the green was to stress accuracy.  Don't you think any good player should be able to avoid hitting frogs with a sand wedge?  Why do you want to confuse things?

No offense, but now I know why we didn't pay your outrageous fee.

Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2001, 01:59:00 AM »
Alister, Old Chap, nice to hear from you again! Sounds like you still have the magic (are you still nipping?).

Very interesting recommendation on ANGC's #15! Fortunately or unfortunately, this time, on this particular thread you appear to have reincarnated with your body but Max Behr's head!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back