News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Clayton

Re: The Impregnable Quadrilateral
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2003, 02:14:10 PM »
MatthewM

If Woodlands is in the top end of courses in Melbourne then by definition it is in the top end in Australia - don't you think?
I'ts amazing it gets so little recognition - not enough lawyers or doctors as members probably.
I'm thinking it is also closer to RM than Metro is.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2003, 02:26:09 AM »
Hi Mike.

You're right. Metro and Woodlands are roughly the same distance from RM, which was news to me, until I checked the Melways.  I always thought Woodnalds was further away...

I agree that Woodlands is a great course, and often overlooked. It's was partly due to the course's low profile, that I didn't mention it in my original post, as I didn't think anyone outside Melbourne would be familiar with Woodlands.

I don't think that Woodlands' low profile is due necessarily to the membership, but due to it's length.  I suspect people look at the yardages and think - "nah, too short".  I'm interested to see what you think about that.

If only more people knew about Woodlands... The need for accuracy, and distance control, as well as short game creativity there, is awesome. It's the course on which pro golfers would stand a better chance of beating Tiger Woods IMHO.

Ask Henry for the link to the ISG discussion on Woodlands.  It's worth a look...

Matthew

P.S. Yeah - If a course is one of the best in Melbourne, it's probably among the best in Australia.  I suppose being polite to Aussies from other states is a bit over-rated, and I should just call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Chris Kane

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2003, 02:58:18 AM »
MatthewM,

I don't think that Woodlands is under-rated/unknown because of of its length: its a fact that Woodlands (6065m) is actually longer than Royal Melbourne West (6023m).  

It is a somewhat quirky course, but I think Mike hit the spot: if it had more doctors/lawyers among the membership it might be more well-known and commonly accepted into the sandbelt fold.

Woodlands isn't one of the elite clubs: but is has one of the elite courses.  

Brian Phillips

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2003, 03:09:36 AM »
Jeff Fortson said

'I guess it means that you can't find a better 4 courses in close proximity anywhere else in the world.'

Lets say that the limit of close proximity is 2 and half hours driving.

Then Scotland could be a winner.  If you based yourself just to the west of Edinburgh you can drive to hell of a lot of courses within that time limit.

TOC, Gleneagles, Kingsbarns, North Berwick, Gullane 1, Prestwick,

What about Southport in England:

Royal Liverpool, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Hillside,

Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2003, 02:40:05 PM »
Brian

What is Formby like now?
I always thought it was a better course than Hillside.

I guess it's only a few miles down the road from the others

Andy Levett

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2003, 02:58:34 PM »
As a northerner I hate to say this but as no-one else is going to suggest them: Sunningdale (Old and New), Wentworth (East and West), Berkshire (Red and Blue) and Swinley Forest. The impregnable sept... err... magnificent seven.

Jamie_Duffner

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2003, 07:41:03 PM »
I just have to echo the sentiments of this thread and reiterate that Atlantic, while decent, does not belong in the same sentence as the Big 3 (as redanman calls it).

Pat Mucci - 1-2 hours to get around Peconic Bay to Friar's Head?  Maybe on a Friday or Sunday afternoon in the summer, but otherwise it shouldn't take that long.

Also, not sure you can lump together North and South fork courses anyway, much different topography and conditions.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2003, 08:25:04 PM »
Jamie,

Friar's Head to NGLA took us 35 minutes without traffic.
Maidstone is 25 minutes from NGLA without traffic.

If you get caught in local commuter traffic in the early morning, the short ride from the Hampton Maid on Old Montauk Highway in Hampton Bay to NGLA can take an hour.

The ride on RT 27 when it goes to one lane in the summer can take and/or ruin a weekend.

Rick Hartman and Bobby Ranum told me that they would tell me the back road way to avoid the mess, but as of today, that info is still a closely guarded secret.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2003, 08:55:23 PM »
Patrick
Are you saying you would trust Hartmann to send you down a back road .You have to be crazy.Bobby maybe but Hartmann -no way

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2003, 09:02:40 PM »
Mike Clayton,

After careful reflection, you may be right.

If he couldn't remember what he said about Parnivek's game relative to his, under Major's pressure, how is he going to remember the left turns from the right turns, the stop lights from the stop signs, corn fields from orchards, potato farms from wineries ?

While he's always been great and straight with me, your suggestion of getting a consulting, second opinion from Ranum seems prudent.

Jeff_Lewis

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2003, 08:01:32 AM »
This is a silly conversation, but...Shinnecock to Friar's Head. I did the drive 15-20 times. 18 minute record. average time  low 20s. I also never take more than 4 hours to play golf, so perhaps I am just a fast-paced guy!

Steve Lapper

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2003, 11:55:44 AM »

Jamie,

Friar's Head to NGLA took us 35 minutes without traffic.
Maidstone is 25 minutes from NGLA without traffic.

If you get caught in local commuter traffic in the early morning, the short ride from the Hampton Maid on Old Montauk Highway in Hampton Bay to NGLA can take an hour.

The ride on RT 27 when it goes to one lane in the summer can take and/or ruin a weekend.

Rick Hartman and Bobby Ranum told me that they would tell me the back road way to avoid the mess, but as of today, that info is still a closely guarded secret.

Echoing Jeff Lewis' silly comment....

Pat ...get some new glasses and trade in that VW Station Wagon of yours...Jeff is right ...FH is only mid 20's to NGLA...
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

TEPaul

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2003, 06:25:20 PM »
"Rick Hartman and Bobby Ranum told me that they would tell me the back road way to avoid the mess, but as of today, that info is still a closely guarded secret."

Patrick:

You don't need them take it from me. At the light on rte #27 just before the Mini Cooper S dealer take a left, bear left go to the T, take a left, take the first right down to the stop sign, bear left, past Atlantic to the T, take a right, down to the light at #27, left on #27, down #27 to Easthampton left at the light at the T, right at the flagpole, Whooooa--STOP-- watch out for the car coming from the right--OK now, proceed straight ahead past the 2nd hole, past the #17--whooa look there's a Perry Maxwell green! Past the first green take a right, keeping the clubhouse off the right fender, take a right watch out for the car coming out of the Maidstone parking lot from behind the hedge, take a left at the second opening at the end of the hedge, park at the next opening in the hedge, open driver's side door, get out, open trunk, remove golf bag, proceed to lockeroom past putting green on right, turn around, go back to car, get golf shoes, back to lockerroom door at end of putting green, into second door on left, say your sorry for smacking guy coming other way with door, get locker! Do you want me to tie your golf shoes for you too?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back