News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: GCA.com's Land of Enchantment fall get togethe
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2003, 10:21:13 AM »
Seeing Don Mahaffey's reply makes me think that perhaps this ought to be an extended nomad like trip and after leaving NM, head east to Texas and catch the Red Raiders course and Don's new spread, then head up 83 to Gothenburg.  All this may take a while, and not put me in good stead at home.   She may just say, keep moving on... ::)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2003, 11:46:24 AM »
To the Treehouse;

While I try to make as many GCA events as possible, unfortunately, this is one I will have to miss.
Our Club, Charles River, is hosting the USGA Men's State Team Championship.  Registration begins on Sept. 13 and as General Chairman of the event I have to be on premises.  

Sounds like an outstanding trip and a lot of fun.  Sorry to miss it.

Best,
Dave

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2003, 04:43:53 PM »
As Adam alluded to above, due to an insurmountable date conflict, the new dates are September 20st-22nd. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and my initial post has been modified to show the correct dates.

Now perhaps Dave Miller can join the East Team as we prepare to put the lowly, insolent West Team in their place  ;D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2003, 06:23:55 PM »
  Doh!  I was afraid of this!  However, my better half said it would be OK if I skipped her friends wedding to attend the outing if it was moved to these dates.  Looks like I'll just spend a little more of that spousal capital, especially after that last bit of taunting from the leader of the least, oops I meant East, squad!  :P ;)
  Again, I'm really looking forward to this.

Brad Swanson

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2003, 07:38:35 PM »
Ran, can we Southerners assume that lowlifes from the Gulf Coast (FL, LA) will be included with the East squad?  Or do we need to interject a third party aspect?  This will be a great event and I look forward to a look at NM golf.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2003, 08:03:52 PM »
Brad, you are the the new action hero figure by Mattel,  da golfinman! ;D

Now, we have to get "shooter" Will Ellender out there, and I'd buy a ticket to watch you two in match play!   8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2003, 08:20:47 PM »
Dick- Is that Da Golfinman doll that transforms itself on a cellular molecular level?

When placed in water Da Golfinman turns into a dullard without the imagination to cut a 3/4 seven iron from 105.yds

This is gonna be big fun.

Also Dick, I'll meet up in Lubbock prior to the 21st?

Brad Swanson

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2003, 08:54:14 PM »
Adam,
   I recall playing a round with you in the group in front of us last year that required a full 7 iron from 105.  I think you'll remember that round well. ;)

Cheers,
Brad

ed_getka

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2003, 10:38:40 PM »
RJ,
 If something gets set up for the Red Raider course please let me know, I would love to see it. And Don's course would be a good stop on the way up to Apache Stronghold I think.

I'm going to have to start working the 20th anniversary gift angle to see this many courses on one trip.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2003, 05:21:15 AM »
Final Event Dates:
Friday, September 19th ... TBD
Saturday, Sept. 20th - Black Mesa (twice)
Sunday, Sept. 21st - Paa-Ko Ridge +
Monday, Sept. 22nd - Pinon Hills

The battle lines are being drawn...

The following is a list of attendents.  Please confirm you are going to be joining us with the new "FINAL" date (Thanks for your patience).  If you don't see your name and should or want to... what are you waiting for (send me a message)?  If you can also let me know which days you will be participating, it would be very helpful.  There will be plans for Friday that will materialize in the near future, and lots of extras to be announced (keep your suggestions coming).

Ran Morrisset - Southern Pines, NC
Mike Nuzzo - Memorial, Houston, TX
Baxter Spann - Woodlands, Houston, TX
Craig Edgmand - OK
Michael Whitaker - SC
Steve Lang - Woodlands, Houston, TX
John Bernhardt - Oakbourne, LA (Sunday-Monday)
John Vander Borght - Oakmont, PA
Richard Daley - Wild Horse, Green Bay, WS
Bill McBride - Pensacola, FL
George Pazin - Pittsburgh, PA

David Silk -
Brad Swanson - Denver, CO
Doug Wright - Denver, CO
Mike Nordstrom - Pinon Hills, Farmington, NM
Adam Clayman - Pinon Hills, Farmington, NM
Tom Huckaby - Norcal
Ed Getka - Socal
Don Mahaffey - Canyon, TX
David Moriarty - Socal

as of 5/17/03
we also have several strong tenatives that will be listed after they clear their calendars

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

THuckaby2

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2003, 06:25:08 AM »
These dates work even better for me... oh yeah, I'm gonna be there unless some horrid conflict comes up in the interim... thanks for doing this, Mike!

Tom H.

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2003, 07:17:34 AM »
Lowly, insolent west coast guys are taking up arms/clubs to teach our benevolent dictator a lesson. 8) I thought people from the south were supposed to be well-mannered. ;)

This should be a lot of fun, I'm in.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

George Pazin

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2003, 07:31:17 AM »
Anyone know how far it is to Don's course from this gathering?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2003, 05:28:27 PM »
I'm touched that many of you have may tie in a visit to my course while in NM. My course is a four hour car ride from Albuquerque, due east on I-40. From my course it's an hour and a half to Tx Tech. I believe the course there will be opening about that time (it is a must see). My course is nothing exciting, but it's fun and I'd love to host anyone who cares to make the trip. Now, being in Tx, I'm a west coaster, correct? Looking forward to seeing everyone in Sep.

JakaB

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2003, 06:34:01 PM »
I know Pinon is a great course...because thats what I have been told....but....That pic of Mikes above looks all out of balance with nature...what am I missing..

RJ_Daley

« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2003, 09:40:51 PM »
Adam has been saying to anyone that would read and listen, that they overwater the course and if they let it dry out and take on the native hues a little, it would play firm and give more appeal to the ground game and all.  No doubt the pic was taken when the marketing department thought it was at its lush and green best.  The Black Mesa pic is the one that looks out of place to me, in terms of turf amongst the rocks.  It looks like the second coming of Wolf Creek in Mesquite.  

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2003, 07:45:58 AM »
I am on the wrong end with the new dates. I will be there bright and early sunday morning for Sunday and Monday golf.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2003, 07:50:50 AM »
To: Golf's Most Beloved and the Treehouse.

Unfortunately, for me, the USGA State Team Championship ends on the 18th with wrap-up meetings on the 19th and I'm aready committed to the Fall Frolic at Oyster Harbors on Cape Cod on Sept. 22 and 23.  Travel times from Boston to New Mexico and back preclude my attending. The Boston Contingent of GCA and (Non-Resident section of the Philly Mafia) will not be represented.  
However where is the representation to the East team from the Philly mafia.  Mike Cirba where are You ;D.

Fairways and Greens,
Dave

Matt_Ward

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2003, 09:14:40 AM »
I can't make the dates mentioned, but salute Ran's desire and those who are going to play to sample a few of the very finest public layouts in the Land of Enchantment.

New Mexico public golf -- particularly at the very top, is quite better than most other states in this particular category. Since there seems to be an opening on the schedule's first day beyond the times set aside for Black Mesa, Pinon Hills and Paa-Ko Ridge I would recommend playing either of three other choices -- all are within the immediate Albuquerque area ...

1). Twin Warrior (will host the National Club Pro this year and is a well done Gary Panks design). About 20-30 minutes northwest of town. Not cheap but worth the time even with the obligatory waterfall on the first par-3 you play!

2). University of New Mexico / Championship. This Red Lawrence design is a honey -- although I wish they wold turn down the amount of H20 they litter the fairways. Right next to the airport.

3). The sleeper is Santa Ana (Tamaya & Cheenya nines).
The course is right next door to Twin Warrior and may permit a 36-hole day for those able to handle the demands. Course is well crafted and is often overlooked by a good many people.

P.S. I hope that those who play Pinon Hills understand that the original nines have been flipped and are not in the proper sequence as originally envisioned by Ken Dye.

Warren_Lehr

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2003, 04:42:50 PM »
As Director of Golf at Paa-Ko Ridge, I would like to extend a warm welcome to those of you coming to NM in September.  I think you'll be pleased with the quality of the golf and the beauty of the land.  I visit the GCA site occasionally and enjoy the comments and opinions.  We look forward to taking good care of your group.  You might be interested in going to our website, www.paakoridge.com, for pictures of each hole.  Bring your "A" game.

George Pazin

« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2003, 04:57:33 PM »
Just had a positive business development & am hoping to make it if things aren't full.

Would love to drive over to Don's place & Texas Tech with anyone who's game.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2003, 06:05:20 AM »
I just received an email from Paul Hermsmyer who is having trouble posting on GCA.com He want's Mike Ran, and anyone who's counting heads to count him in.

Now, it looks like I need a flight to somewhere (green bay, N. Platte?) and would love to make the drive with fellow junkies.

JakaB- The picture of Pinon Hills posted by Mike Nuzzo is of the current 1st green (foreground) and the 14th green (background) I'd have to say that my reaction to seeing it was that the mounding from this angle is not indicative of the view while golfing. If you look in the way background to the left you can see the current 2nd hole and how it's use of the natural slope is captured. As for the the 14th hole, I find it to be one of those hole that on paper looks like a cakewalk. In reality the hole ( as well as the preceeding one) are wonderful risk reward holes and add variety to the layout. Day in day out it is one of those holes that "gets you". I don't know if it's because of the apparent easy (shortish) nature or the accuracy needed to get close to the pin. Easy hole=easy birdie, easy triple, a real feast or famine type hole. Originally played as the 5th hole and is somewhat responsible (in a contrarian way) for setting up the drama on the original closing holes.

Doug Wright

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2003, 08:13:09 AM »
Adam,

Why did they switch the nines at Pinon?

All the Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

A_Clay_Man

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2003, 08:33:19 AM »
Doug- As explained to me by all world starter(and accomplished artist) Elud Ortega, the configuration was switched to make his job significantly easier. I guess the position of the original first tee doesn't make it easy for the staff to keep control of who's teeing off and who's making the turn. While I have no doubt that this is true, I don't know to what magnitude the imposition is to the starter. And I am probably one of just a few who appreciate how that small change makes the course significantly different. Perhaps when the group arrives, the morning round can start on ten with a turn time around 9 0'clock and then the afternoon round can be played "normally" and people can comment on this very subject. I know Alan is lurking and I hope he can accomidate Ran and friends.

Dan King

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2003, 09:18:07 AM »
I'm in the middle of a semi-boycott of the airline industry. I only fly if I have no alternative.

Anyone from Northern California interested in renting one of those giant RVs and making the drive from NorCal? We could probably even pick up some of our new teammates from the lower half of the state.

It could be a party all the way down, a party in New Mexico and a party all the way back.

Dan King
If merely "feeling good" could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely valid human experience.
 --William James

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back