News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Schulte

Pac Dunes Spring vs. Summer
« on: March 17, 2003, 09:03:40 PM »
When designing both courses at Bandon, Kidd and Doak obviously had to take into consideration how each of the holes would play in both of the prevailing winds.  

Having played Bandon in both the Spring and Summer winds I believe the holes play better during the prevailing Summer winds.  For example, hole #1 leaves little more than 60 yards uphill during the spring winds, while a demanding approach awaits a good tee shot in the summer.  Hole #5 loses much of it's bite as well in the spring.

Having said that, I suspect I will actually enjoy Pacific Dunes even more in the Spring than I did in the Summer.  What is the consensus of those of you who have played it in both winds?

Lastly, I will be in Bandon (& Portland for a few days) all of next week.  If any of you will also be there I would love to get together for a dram or a round.  (e-mail attached)  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Norbert P

Re: Pac Dunes Spring vs. Summer
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2003, 08:53:15 AM »
M,  I've played each with either prevailing wind and, a few weeks ago, played in a strange wind from the eastnortheast.

I don't know if I have a favorite - I'm just smitten with the fact that there is wind and variable at that.  It always keeps the courses interesting and fresh.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tom_Doak

Re: Pac Dunes Spring vs. Summer
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2003, 10:15:21 AM »
M Schulte:

I don't know if you're right.  They had strong spring winds and rain for one qualifying day of the Oregon Amateur last year, and the scores were off the charts.  (The field averaged 86 point something!)

It's much more manageable as long as you don't insist on playing all the back tees, which were not all designed to be played at the same time anyway.  Play up on #9 and #18, and treat #7 like a par five, and you'll have a great time.

Holes which you'll enjoy more with the southerly wind:  #1 from the back tee, #3 which you can reach but not hold, #5 and #14 which become awesome 3's, #6 because you might drive the green,  #16 because you won't, #9 because it's so much tougher and SO exposed, and #17 because you should run the ball in like a true Redan.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back