News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Faldo vs. Fazio
« on: March 19, 2003, 01:12:49 PM »
Did you hear Nick Faldo at last week's Honda? He was talking about the ever-lengthening golf course (I think it was after the aggravating Fazio interview during which he seemed completely unconcerned that 7500 yard courses should now be considered normal). Faldo said words to this effect:

"We have to bring tactics and strategy back to golf. To me that means more hazards in the middle of the fairway, rather than on the sides. Today's pro is so straight that he doesn't worry about bunkers left or right of the fairway. The amateur player can't reach the green from a fairway bunker 60 or 70 yards from the green, but this shot doesn't give the pro any difficulty. Put the bunkers in the fairway."

I thought his comments made a lot of sense, but that would mean changing golf course design to further challenge the pros, rather than the great majority of players. Is this a better way to go than more length?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

TEPaul

Re: Faldo vs. Fazio
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 01:51:23 PM »
"Is this a better way to go than more length?"

Definitely! It's a better way to go for everybody. More interesting, more fun. Called strategic golf architecture!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 05:16:17 AM »
Mr. Faldo may be right, but I would ask him why bunkers in the fairways would be more difficult for the pros to play out of than bunkers on the sides of the fairways?

If, as he says, a shot from a fairway bunker, "60 or 70 yards from a green,,, doesn't give the pro any difficulty," what difference does the change of location cause?

Am I missing something?

I don't remember the name of the tour pro who suggested this, but one said that if the fairways are cut in a more serpentine fashion, this would cause players to have smaller landing areas to hit into.

Maybe the USGA is has been right all along with the idea of 26 yard wide fairways and penal-length rough?

DJames

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2003, 06:29:25 AM »
In the other thread about Fazio and course length, I acknowledged that I am just beginning to study course architecture, etc.,

My uninformed opinion is that Fazio does not sound very creative.  What's with the long and straight?  There's no strategy with long and straight.  The game of golf is supposed to challenge the brain and encourage the development and application of various skills depending upon the course design and conditions at the time of play.

This is beginning to sound like the "Emperor's New Clothes."  Fazio (or someone else) says he's an expert and knows the best way to design a course for the game of golf and everyone stands around like a "bobble head" in agreement.

Obviously, I have much to learn because as an uninformed person, this makes no sense to me.   ???

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back