News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duane Sharpe

Golf Course Accessories and Markers
« on: March 19, 2003, 08:59:15 PM »
Users of this forum have obviously played many courses around the world.
I am trying to get some ideas on original course supplies and markings that you have seen or remembered?
I was recently made aware of the web site www.cheesebrough.com who makes custom wooden flagsticks and bunker rakes and think there may be more great ideas as such out there.
Can anyone suggest orginal items which make a course stand out?(besides just great architecture....)
What kind of color of flags stand out the most?
Should you have 3 colors  of flags for front/middle/back?
What height of flagstick is classic? 7' or 8'?
Are 150 stakes needed?
Should sprinkler heads be marked with yardage?
What do courses such as Whistling Straits and Bandon Dunes use for yardage markers?
Looking for some advise from golfers who take the game seriously.
Thanks
Super

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

A_Clay_Man

Re: Golf Course Accessories and Markers
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2003, 10:41:31 PM »
Dear Mr. Super- This topic comes up here every once in a while and I will relay my impressions of what I remember and throw in my own perspective.

Like architecture everybody has different opinions on the accessories but I think you'll find that the bias that exists on this site will be for minimalism. Natural and low profile, fitting into the atmosphere of the particular course. I would take it one further and say that each spot where an accessory is needed should be unique, so should that accessory. Don't copy exactly what someone else has done, be an original thinker and figure out what will work best for whatever situation you have.

As for the colored flags I think if the greens are big, then a 3 color system works better than the ones with the little flags showing, up front, middle and back. I feel this way and I am far sighted, I can't imagine what someone without that stygmatism would see.
If the greens are small there should be no need for any system.

RJ_Daley

Re: Golf Course Accessories and Markers
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2003, 08:18:02 AM »
I think that in order to really force some mental gymnastics no yardages and no flags, just pins like the old wicker basket tops at Merion.  They don't give a wind indication up at the green.  They look like hat pins stuck into the green to mark the hole.  I can't say that will help promote speed of play, however.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back