News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Paul_Turner

Paddy Hanmer
« on: June 13, 2003, 06:02:01 PM »
The discussion on Muirfield got me thinking about their most notorious and fearsome club secretary.

Did anyone here on GCA get to meet the man, surely someone did?

I must say he came across well in Michael Bamberger's "To the Linksland".  I'm all for open access clubs, but I think Hamner's stance was perfectly reasonable for a club like Muirfield : if you couldn't be bothered to "make the proper arrangements"-which is after all, just a club intro letter-and at the same time, could be bothered to book flights, B&Bs etc, then there was no chance of getting on, even if the links was empty.  The stories of him picking up his binoculars and peering out onto an empty links an saying "no, you see, I couldn't possibly fit you in", are pretty funny!

But then again I never met the bloke, perhaps he was (is?) a poisonous old toff?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

ForkaB

Re: Paddy Hamner
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2003, 07:40:46 PM »
I met Paddy yearly in the late 70's/mid-80's.  In those days it was the drill to report into his office (in coat and tie, if you wanted to increase your chances of getting back) before playing.  He wasn't a man of many words (at least with me) but he was always polite and never subjected me, or any of my playing companions, to any sort of the deprecation which others have reported.  I once dined with him for lunch as we were the only two customers on that day and got a few sentences out of him.  Whic reminds me of my favorite Hanmer story.  It may be apochryphal, but it was told to me by a member:

A new member joins Muirfield from Prestwick, and for whatever reason, Paddy takes a dislike to the guy immediately and subjects him to all sorts of indignities:  he gets a locker next to the toilets; the worst starting times with the worst members in Medals; always asked to play off the 10th when coming in for a friendly game, etc.  After about 6 months, the member finds himself alone in the dining room with Hanmer, and after a few slurps of soup, Paddy asks him:

"So, Mr. Smith.  How do you compare Muirfield with Prestwick?"

"Well, Captain Hanmer, at least at Prestwick we aren't expected to have to dine with the staff."

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

TEPaul

Re: Paddy Hanmer
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 08:31:55 PM »
"But then again I never met the bloke, perhaps he was (is?) a poisonous old toff?"

Come on Paul--is an '(old) toff' really a word? I hope so--it sounds great!

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 12:43:50 AM »
Tom

If you had been born in Britain, you could have very easily have become a toff, even if (hopefully) a non-poisonous one.  We are glad that you were born in the USofA where you have developed into such a loveable non-so-old coot.

Chris Kane

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 01:08:11 AM »
toff n. Chiefly British Slang
A member of the upper classes, especially one who is elegantly dressed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2003, 03:55:19 AM »
I got to spend some time with him when I was overseas in 1982-83.

My first visit I was with Jerry Tarde from GOLF DIGEST, and the Captain informed us that one of his members had instructed him that Mr. Tarde was his guest; but, he added with glee, he could still take green fees from the rest of us!  (It was only 15 pounds then and certainly worth it!)

When I went back later in the year, the Captain had me into his office again.  His Labrador retriever took a liking to me and so I was "in."  His desk was covered with letters and gifts currying favor for future visits to Muirfield, and he asked if I wanted any of the various books which had been sent to him.  (Muirfield didn't have a library, at least back then.)

If an American showed up late (which was easy to do if you were driving from St. Andrews and got caught in traffic in Edinburgh), he would ask them about their overseas trip ... what airline they came on, whether it was a good flight, how far in advance they got to the airport ... and then drop the hammer.

Hanmer loved his feared reputation but he wasn't a bad guy at all; he knew it helped make his club that much more respected.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2003, 10:05:52 AM »
It is my life's goal to become a secretary of a club, just like Paddy Hanmer. He is THE MAN.
Unfortuately, I didn't take the time to go down to Muirfield when I was there in 96' Not to play Muirfield, but to get rejected by the man himself. I'm totally serious here! How many could saythat they enjoyed gettng rejected by him?

I knew exactly how I wanted to do it too. I was going to go into his office and say to him, "Sir, I have come 5200 miles from Los Angeles, California to hear you say no, so let me have it!"

I do hope in all earnest he would of understood why. To be rejected by a legend would be the most postive of things, because it adds to the lore.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2003, 10:32:05 AM »
Tommy.

I chatted with Paddy Hanmer on quite a few occasions and always found him to be pleasant enough, but that might have been because I was a member at the other place. However, I saw him treat some American visitors quite shamefully at times and it brought little credit to the club. In fact one poor woman was practically reduced to tears and when I returned to California, asked our Board to not allow visiting Muirfield members use of our  course. My request died for lack of a seconder.

One amusing anectdote comes to mind. Mike Rosetto arranged for twenty members of MPCC to tour Ireland, Scotland and England playing the greats. When we got to Muirfield, Rosetto edged into Hanmer's office, the great man sitting on the floor surrounded with reams of papers, as was his wont. Trying to ingratiate himself, Mike asked the Captain how Spot, his dog was doing. "Spots dead' he thundered. Rosetto thought he blown the day but after condolences  were offered we eventually teed off.... but from the tenth tee.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2003, 12:26:25 PM »
Good stories!  Seems like a bit of a Jekkyl and Hyde character so far.  

I loved the story of the chap (Dane?) who asked to take a pic of the man who refused him entry to Muirfield.  Hanmer replied "That's the best attempt I've heard yet!  Go fetch you clubs."

There is something pretty funny about captains of industry- used to getting their own way- shaking in their spikes in front of him.  But if he deliberately humiliated players who had made the proper arrangements and done nothing wrong, then that's a different matter.

I suspect most of this was directed towards Americans because us Brits wouldn't take the risk of just walking up and asking to play.  We know our place!
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2003, 05:04:41 PM »
There has got to be more on this godforsaken board that can tell of the experiences. I think Yancey Beamer got to met him, but I seem to to remember something about at that time, Paddy had retired as secretary, and he had mellowed down a tad.

All of this is making me wish I would have taken the time to try it just for the experience; say like on the day that I left, where I could have tried my luck and then get tossed. My luck would have been that he would have invited me and I wouldn't have been able to go because I did have to catch the train to Leeds via Newcastle. I could have probably made the time by not going to see Petreavie, but I would then have to say that  I didn't have had something in common with Rich!

Bob,
One of these years, I would find it the highest honor to walk the Old Course with you. NOT to play so much, but more to have a wonderful stroll and chat. I think we could solve all of the problems in the world on that walk, and none of the talk would even be about the World! Paul, you can join us. So can Tom Doak!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2003, 06:00:05 PM »
Just let me know when.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2003, 06:48:59 PM »
Tommy.

We shall do it one day.

Best wishes.

Bob

THuckaby2

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 06:33:57 AM »
Interesting....

The stories about Paddy Hamner have always been very "curious" to me, as when I went in 1987, having written the proper letter and made the proper arrangements, my friends and I were treated very nicely... even WARMLY... of course being the yokel I am I'm not 100% sure it was Hamner himself who showed us around, but upon arrival we were directed to the club secretary, who was a rather older man who gave us a little tour of the club, gave us lockers to use, etc.   Could that have been someone other than Hamner?  In any case we received MUCH better treatment at Muirfield than from Monty's father at Troon... which is another story I have told several times already here and elsewhere.

In any case, small world Bob - you've told me that story re Roseto before... he sold that travel company to Bill Hogan, my brother's college room-mate.  Hogan makes all the arrangements for the trips I do over there... the company is Wide World of Golf.

And Tommy, ANY round with Mr. Huntley falls under the category of mandatory, drop everything.  You may not solve the world's problems, but you will have FUN.  Guaranteed.  There's a cute little course up here that would be perhaps even a more appropriate venue than TOC.... Has an interesting long par 3 towards the end of the round...  ;)
TH

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 08:26:00 PM »
Tommy,
He was retired when I first played Muirfield.Sorry, no story.
Yancey

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back